PDA

View Full Version : No Confidence

Polar Bear
14-02-11, 09:44
My confidence in my ablity to do anything well is at best fragile. Had a bad day yesterday when something I'm reputedly good at went spectacularly wrong.

Suffered from anxiety for so long that I've forgotten what any other feeling feels like. Get no enjoyment from anything. Just can't overcome the feelings of being anxious, having no energy and no confidence. Feel lost in a world I don't like or understand. My mind is going around and around in circles and I can't stop.

I was on citalopram for 6 months about 18 months ago and have resisted going back to them although they definitely helped. Having some counselling as well now which also helps but just can't make the breakthrough I need.

Don't post much on the forum but do read from time to time so I know I'm not alone but feel so low and confused

bomberbeamish
14-02-11, 10:31
hi
your def not on your own,, i know how you feel,, im in my house day and night only go out if i have to i try and do more but like u said its looking for that break through. well i havnt found it yet and wish i could,, i worry bout everything and normally make things ten times worse for my self. good luck :)

kristinathomas61
15-02-11, 09:13
Confidence is necessary for the living a life.If you does not beleive in your self then you never get self confidence.Look in the mirror and say i am the best i will do anything.

European
15-02-11, 20:49
I think it's sad that there are so many anxiety/panic sufferers who don't make the connection between their anxiety/panic, and a lack of self-esteem. Because this self-esteem is not written in stone; it doesn't exist falling out of the sky; it isn't the case that some people just have it, and others just don't.

The thing about self-esteem, self-worth or self-confidence is that it can be worked on and acquired. It's almost an organic thing that can vanish, but it can regrow as well, given the right conditions, i.e. a positive and nurturing attitude towards one's self. And there are lots of therapists and self-help books out there, that might help with building up this positive and nurturing attitude.

mtatum4496
15-02-11, 21:55
Polar Bear, even when we are extremely proficient with something, things won't go perfectly every time. It's all part of being human.

Your anxiety is undermining your confidence in your abilities and yourself. That's not surprising, since overworked nerves make one oversensitive on so many levels - including making the occasion mis-step seem much more of an issue than it really is.

I bet the truth is that you are quite talented and have a great deal to offer, but your nervous illness has made that more difficult to see and appreciate. Put this particular event on the back burner for awhile, let some time pass, then take a second look. You may find that your perception of the event and your assessment of your abilities will be different once time and distance provides some additional perspective.

Polar Bear
16-02-11, 08:30
Many thanks for your replies everyone. You all make some really good points. I definitely have a lot of work to do to nurture my self esteem but agree I must do it.

mtatum4496 - Yes many tell me I do know my particular field and have lots to offer - most of the time I can't see it. I'm sure you're right that time will give me a different perspective of last weekend when I look back.

Again many thanks to all of you for your help and support. It really does make a difference