PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from Depersonalisation/derealisation

Rhys1879SAFC
14-02-11, 10:47
Hey there, like many people out there this was probably the worst symptom of my anxiety, it truly is a horrible feeling, but thankfully the worst seems to be behind me and I'd just like to tell you how I got over it incase it manages to help everyone else.

I first started suffering from anxiety at the age of 16, I always remember having a migraine in early 2008. With migraines you often get a period before the headache where your vision becomes distorted. Anyway, needless to say I had it in my head that there was something wrong with my eyes and that I was going to go blind. This went on for months and it was completely taking over my life, being 16 I had GCSE exams to worry about aswell so it was quite a stressful time in my life.

I went to the Optrician three times in six months, each time I was told the same thing, that my eyes were fine. It was after the third time that I finally told myself "enough is enough." I started at College and all the distractions did me the world of good, my anxiety completely disappeared and so did the constant worrying about my health, I returned to normal, life was good. The Summer of 2009 was brilliant for me, I had a really good time and life was as good as it ever was, I really thought all my problems were in the past.

Things stayed good right up until January of this year, when anxiety struck again. This time though instead of worrying about my eyes I became convinced I had various forms of cancer, everytime I felt a little pain in a various part of my body I would immediately say to myself "thats cancer" and it made me feel so down and so depressed. All the worrying took its toll on my mind and a couple of weeks ago I first started suffering from derealisation.

For anyone who hasn't had this before, its like being in a dream, nothing around you seems to make sense and you just drift through life constantly feeling anxious, I was sure I was going insane. I kept asking myself "will I feel like this forever?" Ofcourse, having thoughts like this only made it worse. Doing things I normally enjoyed doing became a chore. It came to a head when I went to watch my beloved Sunderland AFC play at home against Newcastle, instead of enjoying the occasion I found myself completely detached from the match, worrying about silly things, and the whole thing passed in a blur.

I went to my mothers house that night and bawled my eyes out. She told me to have a word with my Dad because he went through what I was going through at my age (maybe he was abit older) and she wasn't completely sure if this anxiety might have been genetic.

I talked to my Dad, I asked him whether he had ever suffered from feeling "as if you were in a dream", he told me he had, and that my auntie had been bad with it aswell. He told me that it was all in my head, and that I had the key to make myself better, that I would discover it in time. He told me that derealisation was just a symptom of anxiety and that it would pass in time. That it is the result of my body trying to protect itself from the endless onslaught of worrying that was pounding away in my mind.

Everytime I felt my anxiety becoming too much I would sit myself down, and just think to myself "this is all temporary" whilst controlling my breathing. I really found that taking deep breaths in and out helped so much, because it helps to calm you down. I kept my mind occupied, and continued to think positive thoughts.

Within a couple of days I was feeling much better, the derealisation seems to have almost gone, but I'm not counting my chickens, I have an appointment booked in with a counsellor and I'm definitely going to attend. Its better to be safe than sorry. And although I know that anxiety could strike again at anytime in the future, it could be one year from now, it could be ten years from now, I know that when you beat it once you can beat it again.

Hope this helps people, things will definitely get better, never ever think that you're never going to get back to your normal self, because you won't if you think like that. Blank out the negative thoughts, keep yourself busy and try taking deep breaths, it will calm you down.

Rhys.

misskitty
14-02-11, 20:37
Thankyou for your post, I am suffering from this horrible symptom now.. started a couple of weeks ago after I moved and its really frightning.. but you have given me hope that its beatable so thankyou :)

jessicalittler79
14-02-11, 20:46
this is how ive been feeling for 7 months its awfull and has took over my life ..reading this story had help me loads....i just want my life back..ty soooo much...i realy would love to have a chat with u sometime ...thanks again

Abby1
15-02-11, 08:13
Hi i have these feelings and they are horrendus and nothing gives me pleasure anymore in life,i am terrified it wont change,it is so hard to block the negative thoughts out as the feeling of being away from reality is so strong.
Have you any tips please to help?

Rhys1879SAFC
15-02-11, 18:12
Really you should speak to a Counsellor or Psychiatric Nurse to be honest, they will give you the keys to getting better.

Rhys1879SAFC
17-02-11, 20:59
Here is an extract of a book that really helped me:

Sufferers of Depersonalisation or Derealisation feel divorced from both the world and their own body. Often people who experience depersonalisation claim that life "feels like a dream", things seem unreal, or hazy; some say they feel detached from their surroundings. Another symptom of this condition can be the constant worrying or strange thoughts that people find hard to switch off.

People often say that no matter how hard they try, they don't feel like they can interact with the world around them. They feel a sense of detachment from their surroundings, finding it hard to talk and connect with others. Also they feel no love for the people closest to them and even question if they did a certain task or had a particular conversation. The most upsetting thing is they lose a sense of who they are and can't seem to perceive themselves as being normal.

Depersonalisation is a common and understandable offshoot of the anxiety condition. Before going further into depersonalisation, let me clear up one thing that I get asked often. “No, you are not going mad.” This feeling comes from being constantly worried about your own problems, it is not serious or harmful in any way and has a totally logical explanation. It is temporary and, with patience and understanding, eventually passes like any other symptom.

Depersonalisation occurs with anxiety because you are so used to watching yourself, questioning your illness, day in, day out, that you start to feel detached from the outside world. Your mind has become tired and less resilient through watching and worrying about your symptoms. It has been bombarded with worrying thoughts and becomes fatigued. When our limbs tire, they ache. When our mind tires, we feel these strange feelings of detachment from the world around us, experiencing an almost dreamlike state, convincing ourselves that we are going mad or losing it. You are not; your mind is just so very tired and just craves a rest from all this introspection of oneself.

When people are caught up in the worry cycle, they begin to think deeply and constantly. They study themselves from deep within, checking in and focusing on their symptoms. They may even wake in the morning only to continue this habit, “How do I feel this morning? “I wonder if I will be able to get through today?”. What’s this new sensation I feel?” This may go on all day, exhausting their already tired mind further. This constant checking in and constant assessing of their symptoms then becomes a habit. The more they worry and obsess about how they are feeling, the more detached they feel, which in turn has them worrying and obsessing even more, the outside world now takes up little of their attention, they are just so concerned about themselves.

All this worry is bound to make your mind feel dull and unresponsive. You are so concerned about how you feel, that you are letting nothing else into your day. Is it any wonder you have come to feel so distanced and detached from your surroundings? Is it any wonder you find it so hard to concentrate? Some people, when studying for exams for hours on end, reach the point where they can no longer take information in, so they take a break and carry on the day after. For you, there are no breaks and no time outs.

What a lot of people don’t know is that depersonalisation can occur in people without anxiety or panic issues. This can occur when someone has lost a loved one, been involved in an accident or maybe a recent shock. It is the body’s way of protecting you from all the worry or hurt you maybe feeling, like a safety valve and it is there to protect you. This is normally temporary and when, say, the person grieving overcomes some of the hurt, the depersonalisation will fade. The trouble with anxiety is that people suffering have a tendency to worry and the depersonalisation comes along to protect you from all this stress and daily worry. People can then feel detached, empty or emotionless. What happens then is that people begin to worry and obsess over this new feeling, thinking it's something serious or they are going mad. They may even forget their anxiety and focus solely on this new feeling which can lead to these feelings increasing. The unreality grows as we enter a cycle of worry and fear and so your body protects you from these feelings of unreality even more, making you feel more distanced and detached than ever. It is the very worry and fear over this feeling that keeps you in the cycle.

The way to move forward out of depersonalisation is not to worry and obsess about it, but to work with it there; to give it as much space as it needs and not be too impressed by it. See it as your body protecting you and not a sign that something terrible is happening or that you are going mad. This symptom is like any other and the more you worry or obsess about it, the bigger the problem can become and the longer you stay in the cycle. Below is one of many emails I receive from people who were convinced they would never find a way out of this condition.

Hi there Paul! I just wanted to thank you for your book. After countless Doctor's visits I still never knew what I suffered from until I found your website!! I have suffered with really bad anxiety for the last year following a panic attack I had back in February. After buying your book for the 1st time back in November and following your advice I am making strides every day to recover. I suffered from depersonalization and bizarre scary thoughts. The depersonalisation was so frightening and no one ever explained to me what it was until your book. When the thoughts would come I would try so hard to fight them and then I would think….Oh My Gosh....why am I thinking this and it would create more anxiety and feelings of detachment. I saw a Social Worker for 6 months and she let me suffer for so long without one explanation of my symptoms, I honestly and truly thought this was me forever. With your book I am getting better everyday.......the depersonalisation is gone and now I am working on these crazy thoughts!! God Bless you and thanks for writing this book.

Kind Regards

Janet

I took some convincing that this was just an off-shoot of anxiety at the time when I was suffering, I thought this must be more serious. I now know that I was just in the habit of watching myself all day and was so concerned about how I felt and how I could get better, I had no interest in the outside world; my condition consumed me. I was living my life while at the same time watching myself and doing neither very well. I felt so detached that I could not read a book or follow a conversation. It was like taking part in some sort of movie, having to act my way through the day. I just could not connect with people or anything outside of my own little world.

This symptom, like many others, relies on your fear of it to keep it alive and this is the symptom I have been asked about more than any other over the years. I do go into far more detail in my book (http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/the_book.html) and explain how I was able to recover from this harmless yet disturbing symptom. This condition can really fool people into thinking it is something far worse than it really is. I myself found this feeling of detachment very hard to accept and understand, but when it was explained to me in full, in time I was able to rid myself of this symptom of anxiety.

The book is very good, its called At last a life by Paul David andI would recommend you read it! Remember, this horrible symptom is just temporary, you have it in yourself to beat it and you will feel fantastic again in time. Patience is a virtue!

Chin up! :yesyes:

phil06
17-02-11, 22:22
I've suffered this months with no cure...feel a stranger in my own mind, constantly think I'm dying or crazy, feel weak/run down...strange, everything is unreal..no cure for me yet.

jothenurse
17-02-11, 22:54
Rhys -
Thanks for the information on the book. I downloaded and look forward to reading it.

Mic
17-02-11, 23:30
This is an awful symptom to have and it is usaully the last to go I had it for two months I didn't go out for a month I too started with eyes strangeness thought it was something bad, got a flu virus and it all went down hill from there, try and do as I did one day I overcame my fear of heights with derealisation, float past everyone and everything you can do it and never say ther is no cure you are the cure you must treat it as a person you don't want in your life and toatally ignore it everytime it shoves its face in yours carry on your day (no matter how hard) read a book even if just a couple of pages, start a project however small paint a picture no matter how bad you are at drawing busy yourself through and at all costs ignore the feelings but at the same time don#t fight them accept they are there and go on the journey regardless.xx you will relapse I did but just think oh you again have seen you off once can do it again, it sounds odd but I kinda missed it when it went in a very odd sort of way,

Abby1
18-02-11, 09:48
I have bad Depersonalisation today,it is very hard to ignore it and it is taking over me, i am trying to think of other things but the feeling is so strong today-it is unbearable-it is agony

Rhys1879SAFC
18-02-11, 14:01
Yeah it is awful, but just remember that its harmless and that you will eventually get over it.

Another good piece of advice is to just go and get some exercise, working out refreshes your mind and it helps take some of the stress away.

Just go for a run and concentrate on your breathing.

Other people have got over it, so can you!