PDA

View Full Version : painful acid reflux

Lilyblue
14-02-11, 18:31
Hi, right now I have really bad acid, the whole of my stomach has been in bad pain for 2 days, making so many noises, even getting wind, headaches, also red stools,
I take ranitidine (zantac) but the pain won't go, I usaly get it on and off, but get it really bad if am stressed bout something, but right now i'm not stressed or worried,
Does anyone else get it really bad, I have a hiatus hernia too,
I also get painful hiccups, i've had 3 endoscopys in the past 6 years, I can't even eat much right now,

Keep thinking something might be wrong, for past 5 years i've been on nearly every acid medicine, I had a ph acid test 2 years ago and that came back normal, i'm fed up with pain and doctors just shove me on all kinds of med,
They sometimes blame my anxiety disorder, but i've had acid 5 years and anxiety for 18 months, if only doctor gave a name for acid, one doc said could be dyspepsia but all docs say diff,
I can't cope with the discomfort right now :-(

Greenman50
14-02-11, 20:02
i had it bad for nearly 3 months , when it flares up it can take ages to settle .

Red stools ?? Perhaps you should get checked out at the docs for this .

jill
15-02-11, 12:32
Hi hun :D:hugs:

I am sorry to hear how your feeling, my heart goes out to you :hugs:

Hunny, how is your diet, if you have hiatus hernia certain foods can trigger, some foods produce MORE acids, some food makes you more windy, when we have wind, this in turn churns the tummy and can push the acid up, it does not take much wind to push the acid up if you have a hiatus hernia.

Laying down flat, makes it easy for acid to come up with a hiatus hernia, tilting your bed can help with this, putting a few books at the head of the bed.

Drinking fizzy drinks causes wind, if you feel you don't want to avoid fizzy drinks, try taking some of the fizz out by staring it. Alcohol can be a trigger and ohhh there are lots of foods and drinks.

Knowing and understanding what trigger the reflux is NOT easy, it takes a lot of hard work, time and the right support.

PLEASE hun, try and learn what foods or drink may aggravate your hiatus hernia.

My mum has an hiatus hernia, she avoids certain foods and drinks because she has had it along time, she knows what triggers it to be very painful, even some foods are that painful, she can throw up too.

One time she met someone who said that cabbage triggers there hiatus, Mum wanted to know why, she said "I thought veg was good for you " I smiled at her and said, " of course it is, BUT, cabbage can make some people more windy, for some people cabbage producers MORE gas. Its knowing that we are ALL different, knowing what triggers YOURS helps"

It is true that anxiety can produce more wind, SO yes, stress can trigger your hiatus.

What do you mean about red stool ???? I am no gp so I feel you need some expert advice on this one. Stool colour can change, meds can change its colour, certain foods too, Please hun, if you have concerns on this one, pop to your gp, peace of mind goes along way.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

PoppyC
15-02-11, 12:54
Hi
I had acid reflux the other day for a few days and it was horrible, and has now left me with a lot of ulcers in my mouth. It was the first time I had ever had it.
I feel so sorry for anyone who has this for a long time.
Hope it soon goes away for you. :hugs:

Lilyblue
16-02-11, 15:30
Thanks,
Doctor said acid can cause red stools, it only lasts few days,
The pain has gone down a bit, but my tummy still making weird noises, I was lying on my front all day yesterday cos couldn't cope with the pain,
My diet is the same every day, I do drink a lot of ribena which does set off acid, but it only drink I like, water makes me nausea if drink it with food, alcohol makes me belch,
I do have money issues on my mind which is annoying me, but I don't feel stressed. Just wiish I knew what the problem was, I'm on a gluten/wheat and dairy free diet but food still makes me bad,

honeyp1e
16-02-11, 16:10
Thanks,
Doctor said acid can cause red stools, it only lasts few days,
The pain has gone down a bit, but my tummy still making weird noises, I was lying on my front all day yesterday cos couldn't cope with the pain,
My diet is the same every day, I do drink a lot of ribena which does set off acid, but it only drink I like, water makes me nausea if drink it with food, alcohol makes me belch,
I do have money issues on my mind which is annoying me, but I don't feel stressed. Just wiish I knew what the problem was, I'm on a gluten/wheat and dairy free diet but food still makes me bad,

OMG I totally feel for you as am having the same troubles and have been now since anout aug 2010 and docs kept sending me n my way with some gavison even though i was having loads of problems my symptoms are - burning raw feeling can b between my breasts right down to below my belly button and all burning in my back, nausea, headaches, always tired, bad trapped wind or cant stop passing wind, no appetite, or some days feeling extremely hungry even after i have just eaten but thats not alot of days its usually no appetite, watery mouth or a frothy feeling in my throat, constipation, a feeling i need to run the loo fast but i dont go, ive lost so much weight its horrible my anxiety is sky high with worry anyway my boyfriend looked my symptoms up online and found COELIAC DIEASE & HYLORI so i went my docs and asked for bloods to be taken for this diease (the word diease just totally freaked me out) anyway the Hpylori came back as negative but the other as psitive for ceoliac diease but this has to be confirmed but a biopsy (getting that on 23rd this month& am so scared) so last week i went and paid for a vega allergy test to be done as my anxiety just wouldnt settle with me thinking what was wrong with me the allergy tests came back that i am alergic to wheat & potatoes (i dunno wether people take these serious or not i dont no but anyway i took my results back to my doctor from this) the doctor has put me on a wheat & gluten free diet which i started about 8days ago and like you said the burning pains are still here i have been the docs/hospital everything as its so sore and they have done xrays, more bloods etc which have came back fine!! the doctors have all explained to me that my stomach is so inflamed that it needs time to heal and the gluten & wheat free diet will do that but it wont happen over night but am sick of feeling sick and bein in pain i have tablets for the acid omperzole 20mg which i only started this morning plus gavison when needed but nothing is settling it am so depressed from it and angry and fustrated wuth myself that i cant eat or anything,, (the main place i get that burning pain is around my bellybutton area....
i just hope my bloods are wrong for ceoliac diease (which i dont think they will be wrong) but my boyfriends mum has a hernia the same as yours and all her symptoms when she is having a bad day are the same as mine so at first i thought it may be that ?? i no for an inflamed stomach we need a bland diet to help it heal as choc, spicy foods etc.. will just make it worse i drank some coke the other day not thinking and god i thought i was dying it was so painfull like labour contractions :weep: but are you on any meds for the burning ?? my bf mum always has a bowl of porridge that settles hers as we have to eat little and often to keep the acid at bay but how can we do this when we cant eat at all as where in so much pain ??
what has your doctor said to you ??

Lilyblue
16-02-11, 16:30
@ honeyp1e I feel for you right now. It horrible.
I have same syptoms . I was told I had coeliac on my 2nd endoscopy, a year later it said I don't have it, o keep seeong diff consultants, even tho I was hoping to see my own consultant,. I've had so many tests, last diagnosis said I have lactose intol, but still got pain, my acid got a bit better as stopped belching alot since quitting dairy, I do miss my choc tho. :-( .. But it now come back worse, ive read alot about untreated acid could cause damge to stomach lining and can turn even worse, don't eanna mention the C word, 1 consultant said if coeliac came back normal then he will give more tests but it likely to be IBS, but after test I saw my own consultant who did not mention ibs, he said stick with diet, and gave me a lactose test, IF AINT GOT IT WHY STAY ON DIET! it so annoying,

The endoscopy aint bad so don't be scared, ok I know I would be agian but that just be my anxiety, but it aint bad, was 19 when had 1st one and was kicking and punching the nurses, lol, and pulling tube out mouth, i'm a whimp when it comes to tests, other 2 were ok, I seen surgeons too to sugest a laparoscopy but they won't give me one, I so want one right now tho,
I went to see consultant in dec but was someone who knew nothing, told her about my stomach and didnt do owt, she gave me ibs tablets and discharged me forever. I aint been told I have ibs,so aint takin them, if didnt have anxiety i'd of complaind and demanded I see my own consultant.
Lastly my blood test for coeliac came back negative for all of them. One other symptom I have is back ache, right now it is painful, on and off, not sure if it acid..
Writing this on my phone so might be too long.

honeyp1e
19-02-11, 17:47
@ honeyp1e I feel for you right now. It horrible.
I have same syptoms . I was told I had coeliac on my 2nd endoscopy, a year later it said I don't have it, o keep seeong diff consultants, even tho I was hoping to see my own consultant,. I've had so many tests, last diagnosis said I have lactose intol, but still got pain, my acid got a bit better as stopped belching alot since quitting dairy, I do miss my choc tho. :-( .. But it now come back worse, ive read alot about untreated acid could cause damge to stomach lining and can turn even worse, don't eanna mention the C word, 1 consultant said if coeliac came back normal then he will give more tests but it likely to be IBS, but after test I saw my own consultant who did not mention ibs, he said stick with diet, and gave me a lactose test, IF AINT GOT IT WHY STAY ON DIET! it so annoying,

The endoscopy aint bad so don't be scared, ok I know I would be agian but that just be my anxiety, but it aint bad, was 19 when had 1st one and was kicking and punching the nurses, lol, and pulling tube out mouth, i'm a whimp when it comes to tests, other 2 were ok, I seen surgeons too to sugest a laparoscopy but they won't give me one, I so want one right now tho,
I went to see consultant in dec but was someone who knew nothing, told her about my stomach and didnt do owt, she gave me ibs tablets and discharged me forever. I aint been told I have ibs,so aint takin them, if didnt have anxiety i'd of complaind and demanded I see my own consultant.
Lastly my blood test for coeliac came back negative for all of them. One other symptom I have is back ache, right now it is painful, on and off, not sure if it acid..
Writing this on my phone so might be too long.

i suffer with lower back pain which sometimes can burn but its mainly in between my shoulder blades and past few days i've had bad constipation and trapped wind can feel it in my belly going crazy and just sets of my anxiety (which plays a big part in this) i never knew anxiety could kick off your acid (only just found that out ) and i've been having a bad time with my anxiety so no wonder my acid is going crazy am jst sick of feeling sick and tired (bein emetophobic really makes me worse as the acid can make you get nausea which makes me panic thinking am going to be sick)
I really just want this all to be over with and hate that my bloods came back as high food allergys but i didnt think that would mean coeliac diease !!
as my food allergy test that i paid private for said i am not allergic to gluten but am to wheat