PDA

View Full Version : just dont know what to do

iamspartacus
14-02-11, 20:31
this is the start of my 4th week on escitalopram.....2 weeks at 2.5mg and just over a week ago, increased to 5mg. Im still having extremely high anxiety and my breathing gets tight after taking it in the evening as well as first thing in the morning. should i still be feeling this way?

smb25
14-02-11, 21:20
I think the chest tightening is more to do with the anxiety rather than the medication. I too am starting my fourth week and am feeling the benefits although some days (like today) I still struggle. I am on a higher dose though, 10mg (9 days on this dose). It is supposed to be the recommended dose for anxiety, maybe worth discussing with your doc??

Anxious-in-Canada
14-02-11, 22:19
Hi there

You are on a small dose even at 5 mg so I would try to stick with it for a while yet

The side effects will subside, anxiety will be rough at times but gradually it will wane and you will feel good. It is a tough road but you are being brave to try and get better.

In a few short weeks you will look back and be happy you started them.

Honestly, it is tough I know too well but try sown things to compliment the Meds like exercise, meditation, doing the things you like the most, reading, music, take this time and learn what helps you relax the most.

Hang in there you be better soon, hard as it is try and stay positive.

Take care

iamspartacus
14-02-11, 22:35
thanks for the encouragement guys i sure need it (as do we all). this sure is one baptism of fire.

Anxious-in-Canada
15-02-11, 13:40
I agree it is not an easy process, but if you put it into perspective it is not a long one either....in eight to ten weeks (being conservative on the time to get better becuase it could be sooner) you will be feeling well, and all along that time you will be getting progressively better... so for a mere ten weeks you can end the suffering that you probably have had for much longer...

Just trying to give you some positive perspective, by keeping positive it does make things easier...it is work too though. I had a friend ask me "Why does it take effort to be positive and very little effort to be negative?" I don't have an answer to this but a very interesting question...

Hang in there and focus on the positives you experience no matter how little they are.