PDA

View Full Version : brand new and trying to live a better life

mellissa
15-02-11, 08:16
I came accross this web site by accident and WOW! So glad I did. I have been looking for some kind of answers for why I have so much anxiety and attacks but it seems like almost every where I look, someone wants money from me. I actually thought I was alone in this fight for "calm days" but was soooo wrong. It makes me feel a bit better to know there are so many more out there like me. I just got started on citalopram 2 weeks ago and I feel like I am going crazy! I feel "weirded out" if that makes sense....is this normal??

diane07
15-02-11, 08:27
Hi mellissa

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Veronica H
15-02-11, 08:29
:welcome:to NMP Mellissa.

Veronicax

jann
15-02-11, 14:22
Hi Mellissa,

Just like you I found this site and am so very glad I did.

The support you will find here is unbelievable.

Never judging and always helpful.

I'm on citalopram also, the doctor put my dose up to 40mg a day a fortnight ago and it doesn't seem to have any effect on me, guess we are all different.

If your worried you should give your doctor a ring they can set your mind at rest, I'm sure its normal for some people until the body adjusts.

There is info just about this medication on site.

I hope you feel better soon....:flowers:

ditzygirl
15-02-11, 16:15
Hang on in there girls, the first few weeks of meds can be horrid, but the long term result is well worth the short term stuff.

Welcome to this site - you will find loads of help and support.

SHYGIRLAJB
15-02-11, 20:43
Hi, mellisa

Just thought I would welcome you to NMP. I hope you will find this site useful and make some new friends out of it.

Anita.

krees69
15-02-11, 20:58
hi melissa
Just want to 2nd ditzygirls opinion. It really is worth persevereing (can't spell it!) with your meds the long term benefits really are worth it. I have suffered with anxiety for MANY years, but i remember going on the meds the first time even now-it took about 3 weeks for the worst of it to pass then probably another week or so for the effects to kick in, wow what a revelation! It was just like a fog lifting from your brain, my thoughts were measured and reasonable, not racing out of control, no more panic attacks, but better was the fear of having a panic attack was gone. but i didn't feel like id been chemically coshed. That was 20years ago and i am certain that if I hadn't had the effective course of meds then i would not of done half the things I have done in the meantime.

When you feel better it is also a good idea to do a few nice things, but also worth getting to know yourself. I know that sounds a bit weird, but when you have no racing thoughts it's a lot easier to figure out what may have caused this and your plan of action if it crops up again.
Good luck
Kath

jojofaye
15-02-11, 21:18
Hi Mellisa. I was also put on citalopram a few months ago. I was on them for six months. They have different side effects for everyone. I know where you are coming from though. I felt completely strange when i was on them. Can't explain the feeling though. I was also quite sick with mine for the first two weeks. I did get used to them but I cant say they helped me very much. I'm still suffering with my anxiety at night times.
But don't worry you are completely normal :)

mellissa
16-02-11, 04:49
I just can't deal with how I feel!! I am freaking out and can't think straight....every five minutes I feel like I want to get sick too. I think I might just wait a few days and try taking them again?

jojofaye
17-02-11, 13:22
If you wait a few days your body will flush them out and then when you take them the process will start all over again! You will just go round in circles. Try them for another week or so and if the sickness is unbearable then go to your doctor and ask for something else. Sickness is a side effect of them but not to an extreme point where you can't move away from the loo!! Try something to distract yourself i.e reading or something. Or just get cosey and watch a movie. Thinking about things can make them worse than they are. Drink lots of water and make sure you eat properly too. You will get through this, it's all just part of the process. Things will start to look up soon you just have to be patient. :D

mellissa
18-02-11, 03:36
well ..I quit taking the cit and started taking 5-htp. It is helping along with some exercise and proper eating. I have not had a panic attack for over a week now and my anxiety is down alot. I mostly feel anxiety at night but probably because I am alone and have more time to think. Which of course is what is a trigger for me. But when I feel anxiety coming on....I do remind my brain that I am safe and the thoughts are what is making by body panic.