PDA

View Full Version : my therapist is letting me down ;-(

delightfuldior
15-02-11, 10:15
I was referred to a long term CBT therapist through my GP, I had my assessment in November 2010 and my last session was 5th Jan 2011.

My therapist seems to be really unorganised and scatty. She cancelled nearly every appointment because she'd double booked a room or she had been called to a meeting. :lac:

I had a really bad time beginning of Jan and on attending a session on 5th Jan I told her I had been having suicidal thoughts and she referred me to the crisis team. I spent a week with them doing pointless meetings and eventually they discharged me so I could continue my treatment with my therapist.

This was 20th January, Ive made numerous calls to her and she is messing me about saying she needs my GP's go ahead before commencing treatment and hasnt been back in touch.

She is making me feel anxious alone! :scared15: Im trying to move on with my life and I'm due to move back in with my BF in two week but concious that Ive not even started addressing my issues and I will get down again and it will affect my relationship.

What should I do? Find another therapist? I have some spare cash to pay but would only be able to afford one session a month. Has anyone ever done the online courses?

I feel really low today, I had a foot op two week ago and Im sofa bound for another 5 week. I just feel like Im in limbo all over again.
:weep:

Thyme
15-02-11, 12:41
Hi

If your GP referred you for CBT then s/he thinks you need it and therefore you shouldn't have to pay for it.

If you are not getting on with your therapist then go back to your GP and tell him(her) so...and tell her(him) why. I am tempted to say see if you can talk to your therapist's boss but that may well cause more problems and you don't want that.

If you are having mobility problems at the moment do you have a friend who can help you get to the surgery? (The days when GPs did housecalls being long gone)

Take care Thyme

Alicat
18-02-11, 00:39
Your counsellor shouldn't be treating you like this! They're supposed to be someone you can rely on!

Definitely go back to your GP and asked to be referred to someone else.

Good luck! :hugs:

delightfuldior
18-02-11, 10:19
I decided to email my therapist and copy her clinical lead in.

The lady called me back and she said that I had been discharged (unbeknoen) to me because I was high risk and they dont counsel high risk.

I was fuming. I demanded a re-assessment to see if I was suitable for the therapy and this is now on 7th March. So it'll have been nearly 4 months before I get some support.
:ohmy:

JaneC
18-02-11, 10:46
:hugs: the system stinks at times :mad:. Why didn't the bloody woman tell you this before now? It makes me mad when people who are struggling have to chase things like this up. At least March 7 isn't too far away. Hope things go better this time x

delightfuldior
19-02-11, 16:35
The therapist that I had was second to none. (I'm being sarcastic) she kept going on and on about me having bi polar instead of addressing my low self esteem and anxiety. When I spoke to her clinical lead she said there was nothing in my notes mentioning bi polar and that the therapist wasn't able to diagnose it anyhow!!! I knew this and didn't take any gorm. I know myself what is wrong with me. I'm just glad that I've managed to get an assessment to enter services again. Hopefully!

Alicat
19-02-11, 18:02
Oh my goodness! That's disgraceful. They really should have told you that! :ohmy: I'm glad you've got a date for an assessment, but they really shouldn't have left you that long! :hugs:

PoppyC
19-02-11, 22:10
Hi
Some therapists are terrible, I have found, in my own experience. If you have one that you are not happy with, then try getting another, if you can. Don't waste your time on ones that need counselling themselves.

http://charlotteca2011.blogspot.com/

delightfuldior
21-02-11, 13:15
she was scatty and unorganised and I so dont need a therapist like that. She also called me from her personal mobile!! dear oh dear.