PDA

View Full Version : Can You

ogarchamplin
20-03-04, 05:06
Can you be Bi-polar and suffer from PA's?

Harrisburg, Pa

stimpy
20-03-04, 11:48
Meg is our resident expert,
But I would have to say yes.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Meg
20-03-04, 16:45
I agree. Anyone with or without any condition can have panic attacks apart from Addisons disease who can only have an abridged version.

Meg

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

ogarchamplin
20-03-04, 17:23
I was told that i have Bi-polarII back in 96. So when i was being treated for that my panic attacks went away. This Septemeber i went off my meds and my insurance dropped my pdoc so i had my pcp take over. He said that i suffer from OCD and Panic Attack Disorder and gave me Zoloft and Klonapin. Well now my panic is back and i cannot sleep and have been spending money like crazy which is a sign of Mania for me. So i made an appt with a new pdoc that my insurance will cover and i hope i can make it until then

Harrisburg, Pa

Meg
20-03-04, 19:20
George ,

Were you treated with Lithium then ? It is a great mood stabilizer and would keep panic at bay too.

If you really are Bipolar, then it's best if you do get back to being correctly medicated.

Was this last doctor unsure if it was the correct diagnosis or why would he change you if you'd been stable for a while ?

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
20-03-04, 19:51
George,

Hard to understand why the doc changed your treatment plan, if you were doing so well at that time?

I hope you are feeling a bit better today :).

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

Brownie
21-03-04, 03:34
Hi all,
I have been told by my doc that I am manic-depressive(Bi-Polar) .Even though I honestly do not think that I am.....But I have been on lithium for it for quite a while, But iI really dont think I should be. I really just dont want to go through the whole withdrawl process though.
-Christie[:I]

I know this probly didnt help much but I suffer a lot with panic and anxiety and have been "classified lol" as bi-polar so I figured I would write;)

ogarchamplin
21-03-04, 04:34
quote:Originally posted by Radar

George ,

Were you treated with Lithium then ? It is a great mood stabilizer and would keep panic at bay too.

If you really are Bipolar, then it's best if you do get back to being correctly medicated.

Was this last doctor unsure if it was the correct diagnosis or why would he change you if you'd been stable for a while ?

Meg

I was on Depakote and XanaX. I thought and so did my PCP that they were wrong but the signs are showing that the PDOC was correct

Harrisburg, Pa

Brownie
25-03-04, 03:07
Meg,

Does the lithium also help with anxiety??? I have been on it for quite a while now for being bi-polar ( I dont think i am lol) But i was just wondering cause my doc never told me that. Also, Is the withdrawl from lithium really bad? I know everything is diffrent with diffrent people but i figured it would be bad because my doc always has to check the lithium levels and stuff.

-Christie[:I]

Meg
25-03-04, 16:00
Christie,

It's not known for helping with anxiety. It's mainly to balance out between the mania periods and the deep depressions.

The withdrawal has to be slow to prevent rebound extremes, but I haven't heard that the withdrawal sideffects are bad if weaned down slowly enough.

The levels are taken because there is a narrow therapeutic window and if you're on too much or too little it will not work correctly and you may get additional unnecessary sideeffects.

Meg

stimpy
26-03-04, 09:33
Lithium - I knew I heard of that somewhere before.

My Mother in law used to take it. That's where I remember it from.
She used to have a lot of blood tests and urine tests, if I remember rightly.
Often complained of a metallic taste in her mouth and seemed to tremor quite alot.
She was only taking it for a short while before her medication was changed to somethingelse.
I don't think it was working to be honest.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric