PDA

View Full Version : CBT

Sammylou
15-02-11, 12:38
How do people find cbt and what do you actually do during your sessions. I had my third session this morning and to be honest im not sure if its going to work. The whole session felt rushed, I was asked how I had been and when I mentioned that I have been getting the occassional pain in the centre of the chest which is anxiety, I was advised to go to the doctors incase its something else. Well I have had a cough/cold on and off for the past few weeks and have felt a bit off colour but now im worrying cough, chest pain could I have lung cancer!! you all know what its like anyway I was sent away with yet some more leaflets to read and to think about taking up a hobby, I really dont know what to think.

sammi
15-02-11, 13:43
Hi

I have found CBT really helpful,hard work at times but worth it:)
I've nearly finished my sessions now,my therapist is great and really helpful. I guess different therapist do thinks differently I got lots of things to take home but not leaflets as such more like a bit of homework for example a panic diary (when I feel anxious write it in the diary how long panic lasted if it passed what I thought was happening to me in that time etc) and it really helps to look back and think yeah I've had this before and it passed. I also can talk to my therapist about anything and she doesn't reassure me but she helps me see things differently to how I have done in the past and I can now handle my panic and anxiety a lot better. You need to tell your therapist what you want from the sessions because as my therapist tells me its about me and totally down to me how the sessions are handled. X

harasgenster
15-02-11, 14:10
Hi SammyLou, sorry if it doesn't feel helpful right now but you're right at the beginning. Give it a few months and see how you go.

When it comes to the physical symptoms, don't worry. Therapists are not allowed to say "it's just anxiety" even if it is, because they are not physicians. Go to your GP and explain your therapist told you to come along about the symptom. He will check you. It is a common symptom of anxiety so you shouldn't worry.

Therapists have had me referred through my GP for all sorts before - neurologists/ecgs - all stuff I didn't really want because I knew it was just anxiety! But they have to take precautions, that's all they're doing. :)

Hope you feel better soon