PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have panic attacks triggered by caffine?

FreeSpirit
16-02-11, 12:43
Does anyone else find caffine in any form..coffee, cola, chocolate etc..triggers panic attacks?

scaredstiff695
16-02-11, 12:57
hi
i used to drink a lot and i mean a lot of cola but had started to slow down my intake of it. yesterday i didn't have known all day then last night i choose km have a couple of glasses i ended up very anxious and had a panic atta. i am wondering if cola had something to do with it. x

Headdown
16-02-11, 13:27
I used to drink coke in the morning, back when I first started getting panic symptoms and it was one of the first things my doctor told me to cut out, wasn't a huge issue as I've never been a tea or coffee drinker. It surprises me however how people with anxiety and panic issues drink the stuff, a quick google of the effects of caffeine on the body (which most people already know I'm sure) would prove that anxiety issues and caffeine aren't going to be best buddies :D

But yeah to answer your question thats more than possible and if you drink a lot of the stuff I'd try to reduce the amount, might help you out.

FreeSpirit
16-02-11, 13:29
hi
i used to drink a lot and i mean a lot of cola but had started to slow down my intake of it. yesterday i didn't have known all day then last night i choose km have a couple of glasses i ended up very anxious and had a panic atta. i am wondering if cola had something to do with it. x

I bet it did..I used to be able to drink strong coffee, cola and eat chocolate with no probs at all..but not now!! after quite a long time suffering panic attacks I began to notice I had one after consuming anything with caffine in..or at best I became very agitated..I used to think naaahhh can't be caffine causing my panic..then one night after I'd eaten quite a large bar of chocolate I had the biggest panic attack ever!! was nearly an ambulance job..I've not touched caffine since..all I ever drink is de caf tea..(even tho that does have a trace of caffine in) and have given up chocolate :weep: can't remember last time I had a panic attack now..try a week with no caffine see how it goes..will probs take it a while to get out of your system..you've nothin to lose : )

nomorepanic
16-02-11, 13:32
This is from the coping page on the left:

Caffeine

Medically, caffeine is useful as a cardiac stimulant and also as a mild diuretic (it increases urine production). Recreationally, it is used to provide a "boost of energy" or a feeling of heightened alertness. It's often used to stay awake longer - college students and drivers use it to stay awake late into the night. Many people feel as though they "cannot function" in the morning without a cup of coffee to provide caffeine and the boost it gives them.
Caffeine is an addictive drug. Among its many actions, it operates using the same mechanisms that amphetamines, cocaine and heroin use to stimulate the brain. On a spectrum, caffeine's effects are more mild than amphetamines, cocaine and heroin, but it is manipulating the same channels and that is one of the things that gives caffeine its addictive qualities. If you feel like you cannot function without it and must consume it every day, then you are addicted to caffeine.
Panic sufferers are usually advised to cut out caffeine because of the stimulant effects it has on the brain and body.
Caffeine is commonly found in coffee, tea, chocolate, cocoa and don't forget that some soft drinks contain caffeine as well : Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, Dr Pepper, RedBull and fizzy Lucozade to name just 5!
I stopped drinking tea, coffee and any soft drinks containing caffeine in September 2000 and it has had a dramatic effects on my Panic attacks. If I now drink a soft drink containing caffeine then I end up shaking and feeling quite ill! For the first few months I really missed a cup of tea in the morning but it was worth the sacrifice for my health. I now drink water instead so I get more than my recommended 8 glasses a day. If you really can't face a day with tea or coffee then use the decaffeinated varieties - they aren't that bad!

FreeSpirit
16-02-11, 13:36
I used to drink coke in the morning, back when I first started getting panic symptoms and it was one of the first things my doctor told me to cut out, wasn't a huge issue as I've never been a tea or coffee drinker. It surprises me however how people with anxiety and panic issues drink the stuff, a quick google of the effects of caffeine on the body (which most people already know I'm sure) would prove that anxiety issues and caffeine aren't going to be best buddies :D

But yeah to answer your question thats more than possible and if you drink a lot of the stuff I'd try to reduce the amount, might help you out.

Thanks Headdown..it without a doubt has helped me..I miss chocolate like hell tho!! :frown:

FreeSpirit
16-02-11, 13:40
This is from the coping page on the left:

Caffeine

Medically, caffeine is useful as a cardiac stimulant and also as a mild diuretic (it increases urine production). Recreationally, it is used to provide a "boost of energy" or a feeling of heightened alertness. It's often used to stay awake longer - college students and drivers use it to stay awake late into the night. Many people feel as though they "cannot function" in the morning without a cup of coffee to provide caffeine and the boost it gives them.
Caffeine is an addictive drug. Among its many actions, it operates using the same mechanisms that amphetamines, cocaine and heroin use to stimulate the brain. On a spectrum, caffeine's effects are more mild than amphetamines, cocaine and heroin, but it is manipulating the same channels and that is one of the things that gives caffeine its addictive qualities. If you feel like you cannot function without it and must consume it every day, then you are addicted to caffeine.
Panic sufferers are usually advised to cut out caffeine because of the stimulant effects it has on the brain and body.
Caffeine is commonly found in coffee, tea, chocolate, cocoa and don't forget that some soft drinks contain caffeine as well : Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, Dr Pepper, RedBull and fizzy Lucozade to name just 5!
I stopped drinking tea, coffee and any soft drinks containing caffeine in September 2000 and it has had a dramatic effects on my Panic attacks. If I now drink a soft drink containing caffeine then I end up shaking and feeling quite ill! For the first few months I really missed a cup of tea in the morning but it was worth the sacrifice for my health. I now drink water instead so I get more than my recommended 8 glasses a day. If you really can't face a day with tea or coffee then use the decaffeinated varieties - they aren't that bad!

I wish one of the many health professionals I've seen had advised me to cut it out of my diet..I had to work it out for myself..but hey I got there in the end :D

jduh
16-02-11, 13:51
I used to drink a lot of tea and coke but stopped in 2007 when i started getting panic attacks. I think this helped a little.
I eat alot of chocolate and have been experiencing panic attacks again recently so i'm trying not to eat it anymore in a hope it will help.
I would say it's best to avoid too much caffeine if you suffer from anxiety because it can exacerbate it.

Headdown
16-02-11, 15:50
Ah ok I thought you were still on the stuff and wondering if it was related :)

I'm sure you can find some caffeine free chocolate just for a treat now and again of course!

jothenurse
16-02-11, 16:58
I used to drink a lot of cola and chocolate. My doctor told me to cut back on the caffeine because of my tachycardia with panic. I don't drink the cola anymore, but I still have some chocolate. For me, I can't really say that a little chocolate makes that much different with my panic attacks. But, usually it is best to cut the caffeine out of your diet, or at least decrease it by quite a bit. If you use a lot of caffeine, cut back slowly, because you can get headaches from withdrawing from caffeine.

FreeSpirit
16-02-11, 20:35
I used to drink a lot of cola and chocolate. My doctor told me to cut back on the caffeine because of my tachycardia with panic. I don't drink the cola anymore, but I still have some chocoachycardialate. For me, I can't really say that a little chocolate makes that much different with my panic attacks. But, usually it is best to cut the caffeine out of your diet, or at least decrease it by quite a bit. If you use a lot of caffeine, cut back slowly, because you can get headaches from withdrawing from caffeine.

I can't say as I noticed any headaches when I totally withdrew from caffine..but no doubt it affects different people in different ways..a little chocolate is unlikely to cause panic attacks..in my case it was quite a big bar of chocolate I'm ashamed to say lol..I've not experienced tachycardia since cutting out too..Anythings worth a try thats what I say :)

FreeSpirit
16-02-11, 20:38
Ah ok I thought you were still on the stuff and wondering if it was related :)

I'm sure you can find some caffeine free chocolate just for a treat now and again of course!

I'll have a damn good go at finding some!! :emot-nod:

bezzaboo
16-02-11, 21:05
one of the first things my counsellor told me to do was cut out caffeine and sugar as it stimulates the central nervous system and this is where panic attacks stem from, also she put me on a low fat diet and excercise regime to get my endorphins going, although the diet was boring it really made a difference.

hope this helps :)

jduh
16-02-11, 22:42
I know there is a load of sugar in it but White Choclate doesn't contain any caffeine.

Because white chocolate does not contain any cocoa solids, it also does not contain any caffeine. This means it can be eaten by people who cannot consume caffeine for medical reasons. Caffeine is only found in the cocoa solids and other ingredients of chocolate that give it its characteristic brown colour. Therefore dark chocolate contains the highest levels of caffeine, because it contains the largest amount of cocoa solids. The caffeine content of milk chocolate lies somewhere in between white and dark chocolate.

FreeSpirit
20-02-11, 14:14
Thanks jduh I didn't know that...wow to think all this time I could have had some white chocolate!! mmm I love white chocolate too :emot-yum: