PDA

View Full Version : Feeling very strange - combination of mirtazapine/propranolol/cerazette?

haziefantasie
16-02-11, 13:52
Hi everyone

Im just in need of a bit of advice if possible please, apologies if this is a bit confusing & I wasnt sure where to post it!

So Ive been on mirtazapine for nearly 14 wks now, 30mg for over 10 wks of that. I had some side effects for the first few weeks & had to take some time off work but they eased off after a while. It has helped a little with my depression but my anxiety has got worse, so 2 and a half wks ago I was prescribed propranolol 80mg once a day. It seems to have calmed my anxiety down a bit & havent had any side effects. However, its been apparent to me for months that my anxiety is worse around day 14-28 of my menstrual cycle, even though Ive been on the combined contraceptive pill (microgynon) for a while. So after discussing it with a family planning doctor she prescribed me cerazette, which I started on sunday. The idea is that it should stop ovulation, which is the time when my anxiety is at its peak.

So my problem now is since yesterday it seems the side effects of mirtazapine have come back - I feel exhausted, am aching all over, feel dizzy & lightheaded & have got pins & needles all the time. I had to leave work at lunchtime yesterday & rang in sick today, & I just dont know what to do now.

Has anyone any idea what could be causing this? As I only started cerazette at the weekend could it have affected me this much already? Or could the propranolol have taken a while to build up in my system? Has anyone taken this combination before?

Any advice would be great, Im trying to avoid going back to the dr as Ive been so much recently, & Im scared of taking any more time off work as I already have a verbal warning for absences x

ElizabethJane
16-02-11, 16:14
Hello Hazie it is unlikely that the mirtazapine is causing these problems.You have been taking mirtazapine for 14 weeks and your body has got used to the side effects? They might come back if you were reducing or wtihdrawing from the med. The side effects are more likely to be from taking the cerazette. Fatigue is listed as one of its side effects. I'm not sure whether propanolol would have these effects. If you don't want to go back to the doctors then I suggest that you chat to your pharmacist about your particular drug combo. It is likely that he will refer you back to your GP. Best wishes. EJ.

haziefantasie
16-02-11, 21:30
Hi Ej

Thanks for your reply, you always give me great advice!

I think youre right, I cant see mirtazapine being the problem after all this time so it must be the propranalol or cerazette. I know both of them have known side effects tiredness and dizziness so I guess it could be either or both.

I have an anxiety management session tomorrow so I think Ill ask the therapists if theyve got any advice. Thanks again x

haziefantasie
22-02-11, 17:16
Hi Everyone

Just thought Id give an update in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation, I could do with some advice aswell to be honest :blush:

Well after discussing it with my therapist I went back to my doctors last thursday and she said the cerazette must have been interacting with either the mirtazapine or propranolol and advised to have a couple of days break and then go back onto migrogynon again. It was only at this stage that she checked on her system for any known interactions for the different drugs - surely she shoudve done that before she prescribed it??!!
Anyway, I started taking the microgynon again on sunday so hopefully that wont take long to get back into my system again.

The problem I have now is since I started feeling ill off the cerazette Ive noticed my mood has started to go downhill again and I feel like Im going mad!! I actually started a relationship with someone a few weeks ago but it ended last night as I just cant cope with anxiety and depression and trying to build a relationship at the same time. While Ive been with him I havent been writing my mood diary as much or reading my self help books which I know hasnt helped, as now I feel like Ive gone straight back to the start with my recovery again :weep: