PDA

View Full Version : Claiming Benefits

ditzygirl
16-02-11, 13:07
I know many of you like me are having a nightmare trying to claim ESA which replaced Incapacity Benefit.

Last week I posted that the decision had been made to finally pay me. YIPPEE I thought!!!!

Now DWP are only paying part of what they owe me, there is still 7 weeks outstanding and this will only be paid if I win my appeal which is in June.

IF any of you are brave or mad enough to fight like I am to get my benefit here is a few pointers:

COPY EVERY SICK NOTE AND LETTERs SUPPLIED BY GP - DWP Have lost mine!!!!

KEEP ALL CORRESPONDENCE - the letters they send me all contradict one another and today I was told I don't even have an appeal date yet. But I had that letter before Xmas.

MAKE NOTES of times and dates and who you spoke to if you deal with Atos or DWP by phone. The left hand really doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

ASK for a copy of your ATOS Medical report - you are entitled and will need it to help you.

JOIN ME in writing to MP's etc - in their bid to cut benefit payments the government must be spending a fortune in waste paper and systems that just dont work.

I am still confused as to how they can tell me I am fit for work when my GP and their ATOS Assessor said I'm not!!!!!!

To say my Anxiety is at pitch fever just now is an understatement!!!lol

ps. I have a friend who was claiming Carers Allowance for looking after her sick dad. That benefit has changed too. My friend can still claim it but it will be taken off her dad's benefit - not just us suffering !!!

Abby1
16-02-11, 15:52
Hi,can i ask you,did you have to go for a medical? if so how did you cope i would imagine it was very stressful which is the last thing anxiety suffers need isnt it.

Lilyblue
16-02-11, 16:00
(I didn't wanna start a new thread.)
Hi, I was claiming ESA, but they stopped last year saying i'm FIT for work, even tho i'm not, my doctor is outraged at this,
I have anxiety disorder/depression, can't go anywhere with out my mum, I can't go places on my own or go shopping (on own), or see friends/family, cant even go town with my dad as my anxiety bad. I can only walk into town when not busy,but cant shop. i'm struggling with money, on my last tenner in bank, have phone bill to pay, the tax people are now starting to take N.I back out,
I couldn't appeal the esa cos i'd have to go to court, I can't do that cos anxiety, I was on benefits for 5 months, i've been off work for nealry 16 months, I didn't ring up for benefits till 6 months after cos was too scared to, i'd love to get back into working,
Job centre says I should sign on, - how can I do that, 1. I have a job, 2. My anxiety will get worse cos I gotta sign on, 3.my mum will have to cancel work to go with me, 4. I'm mentaly unfit to work!
One person at job centre suggest I do volentry work in a shop to gain confidence! See no one seems to under stand what anxiety disorder means! :@
I don't know what to do about money, my mum has to pay my phone bill, but even she is struggling to help pay for me as she aint earning much.
When I went for my medical they tested me for physical problems, yes im physicaly fit, but not mentaly fit, I was spose to get home visit but they said at last min that they aint got much proof, even doctor sent a letter, had to travel to the city by taxi cos cant use trains/buses, had to take alot of diazepam to get there, the stress made me so ill a week before aswell.
Sorry if this is too long,.

ditzygirl
16-02-11, 16:25
I had a home visit for my Atos Medical, there is no way I could attend the local office. The medical was fine, the chap was lovely and very honest.

My advise is get copies of all your Doctors letters, sick notes and talk to your GP. Then contact your MP's. It may not get us anywhere but until they understand anxiety we won't get anywhere. I have hassled David Cameron too and I will continue to do so.
What a waste of a GP's time if all that happens to our sick note is it gets binned!!! And how are we supposed to get any help with no money????

My situation is my idea of hell, as I know you will understand. I am sorry I let my health get this far but some of the factors I can do nothing about.

And all this stress is adding to my plight.

I am not however giving up my fight!!!!!

PS you can go to appeal, you can send a representative in your place.

Not sure if any of this will help but I can only try my bestx

Budgie
16-02-11, 20:53
I used to work on the ESA section, and I agree with ditzy's post. The doctor's will have a record of sick nots and things like that, but its always good to photocopy them for your reference. It can take several days for a piece of post sent to the DWP to get through to the processing centres as the post doesn't go direct, so sometimes if you ring the centre the processor might not have all the info, or it could have been sent to the wrong precessing building and so on :wacko: Its delays and confusions like these that cause so many issues :huh:

But, the most important thing is to know that you don't have to take any decision made as being 'right', and you must keep pressing on and be firm! Never give up!

JaneC
17-02-11, 20:02
Just wanted to add that it can be well worth contacting your MP about your individual case as well as to make a general point. We phoned ours yesterday to help a friend who has been fobbed off over her claim for Jobseekers Allowance since before Christmas.

Today she was finally told her claim has been successful and will be backdated :yesyes: