PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawal Side Effects

steveh31
17-02-11, 10:20
I stopped taking 15mg after 14 months two weeks ago and things started off fine but after about a week it all started.

I started shaking violently in the mornings, mood swings, a sense of unawareness, muscle aches in the neck and stomach and then last night terrible night sweats and visions.

I ended up calling the emergency doctor it seems that Mirtzapine is one of the worst to get off.

I googled Mirtzapine withdrawal and came across another forum where people were still having problems 5+ weeks after stopping. It appears that your mind and brain can take a long time to adjust to not having it's drug.

If you planning on coming off them be aware you can get a false sense of security before the withdraw kicks in, I was down to one 15mg every two days and still am having this.

The doctor said as I had been off it two weeks it would be wise to carry on cold turkey as I had got this far and taking another would just put it back in my mind.

ElizabethJane
17-02-11, 20:02
I stopped taking 15mg after 14 months two weeks ago and things started off fine but after about a week it all started.

I started shaking violently in the mornings, mood swings, a sense of unawareness, muscle aches in the neck and stomach and then last night terrible night sweats and visions.

I ended up calling the emergency doctor it seems that Mirtzapine is one of the worst to get off.

I googled Mirtzapine withdrawal and came across another forum where people were still having problems 5+ weeks after stopping. It appears that your mind and brain can take a long time to adjust to not having it's drug.

If you planning on coming off them be aware you can get a false sense of security before the withdraw kicks in, I was down to one 15mg every two days and still am having this.

The doctor said as I had been off it two weeks it would be wise to carry on cold turkey as I had got this far and taking another would just put it back in my mind.
I have to agree with you Steve mirtazapine is horrible to withdraw from but not impossible. I have withdrawn twice from this drug. The first time the withdrawals were so bad that my doctor thought my illness was returning so I had to go back on it again. The second time I felt much better and needed to lose weight. I withdrew really slowly and still experienced horrendous panic attacks, anxiety , skin creeping, hallucinations sleep walking. I did have some diazepan to help with the panics. The important thing here is to remember that these withdrawal effects won't last. You are not going mad (I really felt that I was) You will need some outside support from friends/family/psychiatrist/GP. Unfortunately my depression returned and as it had worked well in the past I'm back on it 45mg at night. At the moment my condition is stable. I am certainly aware of the withdrawals if I decide to come off it again. It has been the best anti depressant for me inspite of its repuation. I wish you well Steve. We will support you with your withdrawal as best we can if you continue posting here. EJ.