PDA

View Full Version : How do I find a therapist?

suzy1984
01-04-06, 21:30
Hi All
Iv decided its about time to try CBT and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a therapist or tell me how to find one in my local area? (im from Stretford, Manchester) All the ones I have found by looking on the net would be a bit far for me to travel considering i can barely leave the house. I am on the NHS waiting list and have been for 7 months now so iv decided enough is enough.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)
Suzy xxx

Chardonay
01-04-06, 21:33
Hi Suzy,

you could look in the yellow pages or thomson local.
But most of these are private.
I waited for CBT for 18month,but then moved to another county so I am back on the list again.

Good luck.
Chard.

Tall dark and mysterious was his name,
magic love and money was his game.

Beauty is a real thing, not just a reflection in the mirror

nomorepanic
01-04-06, 21:37
You must get someone qualified ...

http://www.eabct.com - The European Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Therapy (EABCT) is an umbrella organisation that brings together a large number of individual associations from 29 European countries. This website provides information on the individual member associations of EABCT and the activities that support them - our constitution, board of directors, congress and newsletter.

http://www.babcp.org.uk - The British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) was founded in 1972 as an interest group for people involved in the practice and theory of behaviour therapy.

Nicola

giddy
01-04-06, 21:41
Hi Suzy
I found one on the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies website (www.babcp.org.uk). They have a search faciliity. The therapists are private though, mine charged £50 and was from Blackburn.
Love helen

suzy1984
01-04-06, 21:49
Wow
Thankyou for the quick replies, I will have a look at your suggestions. Im desperate to see somebody soon and get started as i have an interview to get into uni at the end of April and hope I might actually be able to go if i get a bit of confidence in the next few wks.
Thanks again :) xx