PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Appt. Today,,,So scared!!!!

Mark801
17-02-11, 18:52
Hey guys. A few days ago I mentioned that I have a new gp and I'm having my physical today and I'm absolutely terrified!!!!!!!

The appointment is today and I wanna go to go and get my physical to make sure I'm ok but then I don't wanna go because it's a new gp and I'm scared of doctors and I'm terrified they'll say something is wrong with me.:weep:

jothenurse
17-02-11, 18:56
I'm sure you'll be just fine. I get nervous going to the doctor, too (and I'm a nurse). I've had a bad respiratory virus for a week, went into our walk-in clinic on Tuesday, and now I still have a fever and think I may have to go back in for a recheck. I'm scared about the virus, but I'm scared to go back in because I went for a drive earlier and was very dizzy. I haven't gone to work for a couple of days and this has made my anxiety sky high.

tinycritter
17-02-11, 19:03
Hi there,

I completely sympathize, I am mortally afraid of going to the doctor and went 15 years without going once because I was so horrified by the thought of it. I have got a doctor's appointment next week and I'm about a notch away from blind panic over it. *But* what I am trying to tell myself (over and over again until I get it into my head) is that although I'm scared of what I may find out, a)the chances are that I am OK, and b)even if I'm not completely OK, doctors exist to fix us if anything's wrong (which there probably isn't).

I know it's so so hard but if you can, try and look at it as if your physical is just to reassure you that you're fine. And I'm sure if you explain to the doctor that you're anxious they will be very understanding, an awful lot of people have anxiety over medical tests.

Try to relax as much as you can, you'll be fine. Good luck. x

Mark801
18-02-11, 00:23
Thanks for the reply guys but I didn't see the doctor today. Apparently, my health insurance switched my mom form our doctor to the new doctor and didn't switch mine.

So now I have to wait till March 1st to see the doctor. I have to say that I was a relieved cuz I was having a panic attack in the office. My heart was going so fast and my breathig was weird and had bad gas with skipped beats(serves me right for skipping lunch).

As soon as the nurse said I'd see the doc in two weeks I instantly calmed down. The only thing that sucks now is that I have to wait 2 weeks to get my xanax.:weep:

RLR
18-02-11, 01:54
Hi Mark,

Well, from your description it sounds like a mixed blessing. All of the symptoms being described both in your posting here and at the heart palpitations forum are highly consistent with anxiety disorder and somatoform features. The "bad gas" is largely responsible for the palpitations you are experiencing and they are not a sign that the heart is having difficulty whatsoever. It is merely the equivalent of a muscle twitch elsewhere in the body. Remember that the heart plays a dual role of being an organ and a muscle.

You're going to be just fine and try not to let your fears take you on a runaway train.

I've been at my profession longer than you've been alive and if I noted anything whatsoever in your symptoms that I thought even remotely constituted a concern, I would tell you.

Your doctor's appointment will turn out fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)