PDA

View Full Version : Walking past people collecting money for charity

Ali-1983
17-02-11, 23:22
Anyone else have problems walking past people colleting for charity? I cant walk past anyone without putting money in the box. When ever i try to walk past i start thinking its bad karma and something bad will end up happeing to me because of it.

Bloody health anxiety is costing me and arm and a leg :blush:

nomorepanic
17-02-11, 23:24
I just say "I have already given thanks"

You can only do so much and I do not agree that they should be allowed to stand in the entrances of big shops like Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's etc and shaking their tins!

sammi
17-02-11, 23:30
I always give money I'd feel so bad if I didn't my mum says I'm a soft touch but if its for cancer/kids or pets I'm there handing my money over lol

Horse
17-02-11, 23:34
My opinion of giving to charities has change greatly ever since I keep reading stories that certain ones have a tendency to withold a lot of donations.

There was one recently (I believe it was for the Pakistan Flood Relief) that was reported to still have £50 million in the bank.

There have also been reports that other charities in African countries have not recieved all the money and that certain government officials have suddenly been seen with new Mercedes and helicopters.

Sadly, I have yet to see an Anxiety charity for those too sick to work and who are living on the poverty line!!

I would rather give food and clothing than money, but now we even here of the clothing going missing and ending up on Ebay!

Sad times!

Horse.

Tamsin
17-02-11, 23:59
Since all the Flooding and Cyclone in Aus,every second person is collecting monies.I have donated to Salvation Army and Premiers Flood Relief.I to just say I have already donated.
Tamsin

Greenman50
18-02-11, 00:07
I have no problem saying no thank you . If that doesn,t work just pull a strange face , its puts them right off as they think your not all there . Works for me .

jen2503
18-02-11, 10:08
I just keep walking but i do have the same fears as you, i think something bad will happen to me because i havent given them money. im the same with other things too, if i have an argument with something i think i will die as punishment, even silly things like if i forget to give my child a kiss at bedtime i have to go back in the room to give them one otherwise i think i will die!!

It is karma and supersticion with me. im quite glad i found your thread actually coa i thought i was the only one that had this, its been quite bad recently and ive tried to ignore it but it is scary.

Vixxy
18-02-11, 10:26
Easiest excuse, tell them you have no cash. A lot of people just use credit cards now, so its hardly going to arouse suspicion.

However I think people have missed the issue here, its not really about an excuse to not give, its about your fear something bad will happen. This sounds a bit like OCD to me. If you've not done any research on it, then it might be worthwhile reading up on it. Theres a link with info on the right hand side of this page.

Groundhog
18-02-11, 10:28
I have no issue with people collecting as long as they don’t ask outright, standing with a tin and giving you the option is OK but confronting you is not, in my opinion. My wife and I give to four very carefully selected charities(mainly animal based) a month by direct debit via my wife’s wages, this comes out before tax and is subsidised by Barclays (her employer) so the charities actually get nearly 50% more than we pledge.

As far as feeling guilty goes – no I don’t. There are some ‘causes’ I will not give to for personal reasons. For instance I will not give to homeless charities but I do buy a big issue from the local town’s vendor, purely because if I am going to give a couple quid I would rather give it someone who is prepared to get off his/her arse and be proactive. I will not give to charities collecting for overseas, instead our school sponsors a chap in Africa who spends his time going round villages on a motorbike administering basic medical services – largely these are gap year students and our school funds the one guy through mufti days, cake stalls etc etc.

Interestingly one of my colleagues once worked as a temp for a large charity and she recons they waste vast amounts of money. I’m not saying what I do is right (or wrong) but I know in myself that I’m doing my bit so walking past a tin shook in my face is no bother at all.

rosi
18-02-11, 11:32
I get palps walking past the Cancer charity shop and my eyes always seem to search out those ghastly pink ribbon symbols everywhere.

I do give to some charities. I personally won't give to animal charities. Childrens charities always get something.

leeroy
18-02-11, 12:52
It's a selfish outlook but I see it as I have nough problems of my own, so dont over sweat it worrying about charities... I know the ones I see as being valued in my my eyes and donate to them accordingly

i.e. a local hospice for cancer sufferers who made the last few months of my grandads life more bearable and supported my gran, my mum , auntys and uncle through that tough time .... they give so much care and support to so many people in the most difficult of times and all with no government funding what so ever!

you can't help everyone, theres sadly too many problems in the world for one person to be able to change

sandy40
18-02-11, 14:11
My son has MS so i give to MS and also Edinburgh Sick Kids Hospital as that is where my son is under and his brilliant neurologist is at Sick Kids..give to who you want to give too and if you dont then dont..i dont like the collectors that come round your door.x

rosi
18-02-11, 15:19
Worst are the 'chuggers' on the High Street who come bounding up with a 'Hey Guys, looking good' and then try and make you hand over Direct Debit details. They should seriously be banned.

leeroy
18-02-11, 16:21
Worst are the 'chuggers' on the High Street who come bounding up with a 'Hey Guys, looking good' and then try and make you hand over Direct Debit details. They should seriously be banned.

agreed, there are so many more constructive things charities could do to raise support or awareness.... this tactic just annoys me and I let them know so; when they bother me i should treat them like Duncan Banatynne would do "I don't like your pester tatics, I'm not to keen on you, for those reasons I'm out" :D

englishguy43
18-02-11, 16:52
To groundhog, not everyone is able to "get off their arse and be proactive". Can`t see that homeless people are enjoying their lives on the streets. If someone is well enough to sell the big issue then that`s great but i think your genaralised comment on homeless people is very unreasonable.

uk23
18-02-11, 17:17
I agree with you englishguy43, I worked for 1 walk in centre and 1 night shelter for the homeless, the stereotype really does not fit in with the reality. I even came across a Lord there who had lost his house, cars, city job etc all due to alcohol.

mtatum4496
18-02-11, 17:22
I have to be careful with giving to charities, as in the past I've yielded to the impulse and later found myself without the money to handle my own obligations. Over the years, I've developed a policy of identifying a couple of charities each year that I will support, figure how much I can afford to give, and then do so. Unless I win a lottery or some long-lost relative dies and leaves me a fortune, I really don't see any other way for me to handle the giving.

Groundhog
18-02-11, 17:35
To groundhog, not everyone is able to "get off their arse and be proactive". Can`t see that homeless people are enjoying their lives on the streets. If someone is well enough to sell the big issue then that`s great but i think your genaralised comment on homeless people is very unreasonable.

No offence but that’s nice selective quoting there. My post actually says that for personal reasons I won’t give to homeless people, I also go on to say that what I do is not right or wrong. It is my choice who I give to and the homeless are bottom of my list – for personal reasons. Rosi says she won’t give to animal charities – that’s fine, I did not see any reason to selectively quote and deride her on it, its her choice and I applaud her. I largely give to animal charities as it’s my choice – simples.

Again no offence but that is the attitude that is upsetting the original poster – being made to feel guilty when really there is no need to feel bad, we have to rationalize as there are so many charities and I have a personal selective process that does not include the homeless. :)

englishguy43
18-02-11, 17:45
Yeah cheers uk23, feel that the homeless people get a tough time, i`m sure when they were kids they never thought that they would end up that way, as us anxiety sufferers never chose this road either, it happens. Every person has a story and many of these homeless people have had no choice but to beg and drink etc, the nhs failed them.
One of my best friends died a few years ago begging on the streets as a junkie, knew him all my life and seen his life fall apart because of emotional turmoil. Some people think that homeless drunks/junkies are there just to beg for the fun of it, well what`s so great for them?????

Hazel B
18-02-11, 20:27
I smile at the "chuggers" (charity muggers) and say "No thank you. I do give to charities of my choice". That way, I'm being polite and also stating I'm not a mean and heartless person!

We shouldn't have to justify what we do with our money to a stranger in the street but at least I'm polite.