PDA

View Full Version : Ive had to give up my best friend of 22 years

Granny Primark
18-02-11, 04:15
I feel so guilty for what ive done.
I came to realise recently that I was becoming to use alcohol as a crutch everytime time I had a prob.
My best friend is a heavy drinker but she drinks cus she likes the stuff.
I didnt
Ive sought help now and feel im beating this demon.
However ive had to put my friendship with this very special friend on hold for the time being cus I cant trust myself not to have a drink when im with her.
I just hope she understands

JaneC
18-02-11, 09:48
Stopping drinking can be a hard fight Lynn - and involve some hard decisions. My sister-in-law was an alcoholic and my husband always felt that the fact her husband was a heavy drinker and that they surrounded themselves with other heavy drinkers didn't help any chance she might have had of sorting herself out.

It must be really tough to disassociate from yourself from someone you have been friends with so long and it's natural to feel guilty. But you have to try to put that to one side. You absolutely have to put yourself and what's right for you first :hugs:. I hope you are doing well otherwise :hugs:

ditzygirl
18-02-11, 10:12
That's a really tough thing to do , but indicates how seriously you taking your health.

Well done these are really big decisions.

I know we can't replace a 22 year friendship but please don't think you are alone, we are here anytime to help youx

judipat
19-02-11, 08:37
Hi Lynn

I know we spoke about this in chat the other day and I asked you if you had explained it all to your friend? I think you said you had tried.
I was just thinking it may be a good idea to write her a letter explaining everything - you'll probably find it easier when you can think about what you are going to say.
Also, if she is a very good friend, why cant you meet up and have lunch or coffee, somewhere that is alcohol free?
Well done for making this decision and i wish you all the luck.

Judi xxxxxx