PDA

View Full Version : citolapram help

cooley2274
18-02-11, 14:11
hi,

wondering if any one can help.i have just started a 20mg of citalopram and have serious concerns that my GP has misdiagnosed me.im 6 days in and have just started to ease with the horrible side effects.i have suffered with mild anxiety for years but been able to cope with it (though frustrating):mad: i have over the last year had stress after stress after knock after knock to the degree where i hade a panick attack in IKEA (very scarey):weep:This increased my anxiety for a couple of month but i was able to get back on my feet:)then more stress and had some sort of breakdown and increased my anxiety again but i recoverd very quickly.Now the real stress i started a new job (very stressfull)ended up practically running the business for the boss.what happend? breakdown
i couldnt believe it. so goes to gp and he looks on my notes and sees there has been issues with anxiety in the past. i explain all my stress and he gives me citalopram.my concern is that i might not need them. i am drained,depleted,zonked,frazzled but not deppresed. any advice , ideas, suggestions would be much appreciated:)

thanx paul

happycamper
18-02-11, 14:52
Hey cooley2274,

When I was prescribed citalopram last June I was pretty shocked that my GP thought I might need them. Put them aside for 2 or 3 weeks before plucking up the courage. I too have never felt I've had depression, but the anxiety that seemed to be triggered from a few big life stressors in a short space of time, that wasn't going and in fact I was getting physical symptoms with it it was getting that troublesome. But I didn't really realise it was anxiety causing me a problem.

However since accepting it was, learning about anxiety and it's effects, I have barely looked back, bar a couple of set backs which I can't really get my head around. The thing with the cit, for me, is it has brought any anxiety right down by sort of numbing it. That has resulted in me being able to think clearer and more rationally, allowing me to learn and work on coping strategies which I severely lacked a year ago.

You'll see from many posts on here that cit doesn't cure, it just allows some mental respite to enable you to learn how best to manage ways to cure yourself, with whatever help you use.

Hope that enlightens you a little. Keep us posted. X

cooley2274
18-02-11, 15:44
thanx happycamper
just got myself a bit concerned when i seen all the negative posts about coming of cit how difficult it is.i could do with a bit space to get some cbt and sort my diet and excercise lifestyle out...thanx:)paul

happycamper
18-02-11, 15:49
Hmmm,

That does concern me slightly too, also when is the right time to come off them..., but all got to be better than the poxy anxiety in the first place.

Clare X

Lizziesaurus
18-02-11, 16:52
Give them chance to work (4-6 weeks) you may find they help, antidepressants help things other than just depressions. If after 2 months they are not helping, go back to the doctor.

Greenman50
18-02-11, 23:01
hi,

wondering if any one can help.i have just started a 20mg of citalopram and have serious concerns that my GP has misdiagnosed me.im 6 days in and have just started to ease with the horrible side effects.i have suffered with mild anxiety for years but been able to cope with it (though frustrating):mad: i have over the last year had stress after stress after knock after knock to the degree where i hade a panick attack in IKEA (very scarey):weep:This increased my anxiety for a couple of month but i was able to get back on my feet:)then more stress and had some sort of breakdown and increased my anxiety again but i recoverd very quickly.Now the real stress i started a new job (very stressfull)ended up practically running the business for the boss.what happend? breakdown
i couldnt believe it. so goes to gp and he looks on my notes and sees there has been issues with anxiety in the past. i explain all my stress and he gives me citalopram.my concern is that i might not need them. i am drained,depleted,zonked,frazzled but not deppresed. any advice , ideas, suggestions would be much appreciated:)

thanx paul

Hi Paul

I got prescribed cit 20 mg from my doc in January , it was prescribed for anxiety not depression . I thought WTF , i don,t need these !!!!!

However , after 3 weeks on them i released i needed a break from the cycle of anxiety (from health issues) which was giveing me anxiety symptyms , chest pain , burning skin etc etc .... and i did start to feel much better after the side effects went . I now Know i was depressed as well at the time but it was all a slow decline that i didn,t "see" it myself .

They have really really worked for me mate , i,d say give them a try , its sounds to me like you need some help via these meds to get you back on track .

My Doc said at the time these are also prescribed for anxiety aswell as depression , they treat both , she gave me other examples of drugs that btreat more than one thing , it all made sense at the time , i think it was tablet 18 when i started to feel a little better each day and havn,t looked back since .

Vanilla Sky
18-02-11, 23:16
If you have anxiety then Citalopram is what you need . Trust me .. I'm anxiety free

cooley2274
18-02-11, 23:23
thanx mel2,that makes alot of sense what you have said about not realising that you were slipping into one. i am trying to come toterms that i need tablets. im always the strong one.ive been fighting and fighting and this time i need a little bit help....:wacko:by the way like your signature.how long you planning to stay on cit? are you getting some cbt? clare weekes books are very interesting?