PDA

View Full Version : Speech problems

Padul
20-03-04, 09:16
[:I]

Does anyone suffer from the same problem as me.

Whenever I talk to people-even if I know them well, I trip up over my words. I either cannot pronounce them properly and my speech becomes garbled or I slur my words.

I suppose it is a breathing problem but no matter how much I practice breathing I still struggle.

Some days are better than others but the slightest anxiety seems to trigger it.

Any suggestions?

jollywalrus
20-03-04, 10:23
Hiya,
Yes, this often happens to me, especially if I am getting wound up. I don't know how old you are, but I always make a joke about it and put it down to just having turned 40! It is only a sympton of anxiety and, like all the rest of the symptoms, will fade as you turn the corner.
Best wishes,
Christine

kate
20-03-04, 11:15
LOL Christine!!

I also suffer from this AND fall into the over 40's category!!!

Kate x

stimpy
20-03-04, 11:52
Yes, I'm just the same.

I often get my words in a mucking fuddle, I often worry whether the things I am saying are making sense, as they sound alright to me but they may sound like total nonsense to everyone else.

I think it is just Mr Panic trying to make us look foolish in public.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Samantha
20-03-04, 16:50
Hi everyone yeah i know wot u mean,
i hate it wen ur then asked to repete wot u say making things just seem worse especially when theres a group of ppl.

Sam

Positive thinking is the key to success!

Laurie28
22-03-04, 12:13
Hiya,

Is it a self esteem, issue???

lucky

Meg
22-03-04, 17:39
A speech therapist can help with this..

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Samantha
25-03-04, 09:31
Lucky i think it can be, when i speak to ppl i think it is that that effects me, i hate drawing attention to myself, and so end up mumbling tripping ocver words and then just sometimes my mind goes completely blank. I used to see a speech therapist when i was younger because i had trouble pronouncing certain sounds.
Sam

Positive thinking is the key to success!

upsidedown
21-04-08, 17:07
I am currently dealing with the same thing. I started to really struggle with social anxiety about a year ago and sometime during that period noticed that i was mumbling a lot and slurring words and stuff. its been kind concerning lately. hang in there. once we start to think something is wrong, we begin to focus on it so much that it becomes an issue. i suppose if anyone focused on every words they said, they would probably start to mumble and stumble.