PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy/Dating Scan Anxiety

unfitwellhappy
18-02-11, 15:53
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of a feminine touch here. I went with my sister to her 12 week dating scan (14 weeks after LMP) as her husband is in Russia on business. Anyway, the sonographer (think that is their name) said that given the size of the wee beastie it's approx 9 weeks (11 weeks after LMP).

So i consulted Dr. Google.... stupidly... and now having very irrational thoughts about my sisters health.

She asked the lady who was carrying it out how accurate the scans were and she said that they were accurate up to about 3-5 days at 9 weeks as babys tend to grow at very specific rates.

So what i'm looking for is any advice from folk who have been in this situation or know more about it than I do as Google is a nightmare..

Is it possible for a baby to be 9 weeks in size and realistically be 12/13 weeks, or are the dating scans pretty much accurate to within a week (i.e there is no way they can be out by 4 weeks!)

I'm quite protective of my big sister so would like a bit more understanding on this.

Ta

Andy

uk23
18-02-11, 17:23
I don't know much about pregnancy, however I do know that the people who do the scans have seen, more than likely, hundreds or thousands in their time. If they were not concerned at all then I would think she is fine, however you can always call Scottish NHS Direct: 08454 242424 or possibly pop into the GP and ask them.

macc noodle
18-02-11, 17:54
Hi Andy

Why are you so bothered about the dates ? Is there an issue here?

Please do not take offence but it really is your sister's place to ask advice about this - not yours - and I would suggest that you chat with her if you are so bothered about it.

As long as the baby is healthy and your sister too of course, and the radiographer doing the scan was happy with baby's progress I should not worry and be pleased for your sister and your new niece/nephew!

:D

unfitwellhappy
18-02-11, 17:59
There isn't an issue with the dates, I just panicked about the possibility that the baby wasn't progressing as normal. Yes I have spoken to my sister who has told me i'm being daft, I was just looking for anyones experiences with stuff like this.

Vixxy
18-02-11, 19:03
They would know what to look for in regards to a pregnancy not progressing as it should b

Lizziesaurus
18-02-11, 19:32
I wish I could help you but unfortunately I've never been pregnant!
I will say however though do not worry, as uk23 said, they've done them loads of times before so would spot if there is a problem, and if your sister feels she and baby are ok try not to worry :)

worriedmummy1
20-02-11, 16:17
Hey hun, I would say you have no need to worry. It is lovely that you are concerned for your sister and her baby, but the sonographer would have raised concers if it was thought the baby was not it should be. And lets be honest we can all get a little muddled with our dates! ple

As a mother of two (one just 7 months, so not that long since I had scans), the would have asked for further checks etc. Also, sonographers are highly trained and skilled people. Please try not to worry, and I am sure if your sister has any concerns she will raise them with the health professionals invovled in the care of her and her baby. x

constantworrier418
25-02-11, 09:55
Hi

when I was pregnant with my first they put me back two weeks too, if there was something to worry about they would refer you for more scans - and I'm happy to report my son is the tallest in his class and just perfect! please don't worry - these scans are done to identify problems and they would tell you there and then if there was something to worry about xxx