PDA

View Full Version : Chest pain

hypochondriac
19-02-11, 17:37
Hi everyone,
I am a 15 year old girl, basically over the last 5 or so years i have had chest pains. They sometimes come on at random, but i get them a lot with exercise.
The pain ranges from a dull ache, to a constricting feeling to a sharp pain as if someone is thrusting a knife through my chest.
The pain can be in the centre or slightly to the left
Usually it lasts for about a millisecond, but when it is exercise related it can last until i stop and spend a couple of minutes resting

Can someone please tell me what this could be

I am going to the doctors soon and i am worried about what they'll ask, say do?

So if someone could please give me some advice i would be grateful

Antgomm
19-02-11, 18:54
Hey again

I get these pains too, I have done for many years. It's good that your getting it checked out and i'm sure everything will be alright for you. I mainly get these sort of sharp pains/aches around the heart area and I too get it if I do some exercise or sometimes just in general when i'm having a normal day. As I've suffered from anxiety for many years I'm used to these pains now and I generally think nothing of them unless I'm having a tough panic day. Dont be scared about going to the doctors, they will be able to reassure you that your alright. I know it can be scary sometimes wondering what they will say but doctors these days know a lot more about anxiety than they used to. Let us know how you get on x

hypochondriac
20-02-11, 08:08
Thanks for the reassurance
I dont think my mum has booked an appointment yet, but i will probably go this week
As much as i try and distract myself i keep thinking about it and i cant eat, or sleep or focus becuase i am so worried and beause i am worried i constantly have this fluttery feeling in my chest
I just hope she makes it soon and so it will be over and done with

oldtime
20-02-11, 09:15
It would be extremely rare for such a young person as yourself to have a heart problem. It is 99.9% likely to be anxiety related. Seeing a doctor is the best thing to do as he will check you out and reassure you.

hypochondriac
20-02-11, 09:25
It would be extremely rare for such a young person as yourself to have a heart problem. It is 99.9% likely to be anxiety related. Seeing a doctor is the best thing to do as he will check you out and reassure you.

I know but i am really worried becuase my mum has had heart problems too and my sister complains of similar symptoms and with my mum she had to go to hospital numerous times through A and E before they worked out what was wrong

oldtime
20-02-11, 14:43
I used to worry about cancer after I lost my mother from this illness it is understandable. You should try to not worry so much about your health whilst you are young. The chest pain pangs I think most people get and ignore its just little muscles firing off and contracting in your rib cage. When you do cardio vascular exercise you are working your lungs and the small muscles between your ribs are not used to all the hard work. Keep up your exercise and slowly build up your stamina its good for you.

hypochondriac
22-02-11, 14:18
I am really unsure, but i am quite certain that it isn't anxiety, but i am getting it checked...
The thing is i was talking to my friend about this and up until she said well what would change i was rather stressed
Then i realised that even if there were a problem it wouldnt make that big a difference as I have been living with the problem for about 5 years any way. If anything i would be put on meds and may feel better (in terms that i wouldnt get the pains anymore)
I wil post once i have been to the docs