PDA

View Full Version : ectopic, beats

jjpester
19-02-11, 18:29
Hello
I am new hear but as I am spending alot of time reading post thought it would be nice to join in.
I am 38 years old and for as long as I can remember suffered anxiety/depression...
I have had ectopics since I was 15 and never had them checked out,I became use to them and could go/can go weeks without them,or at least I do not notice them.
About three weeks ago I seemed to get them constantly,sometimes a run of them happening every 2/3 beats.
I decided to go and get it checked (a real achievement for me)..my doctor felt my pulse (of course no ectopics) and then told me to go to our local village hospital for an ecg and bring him the results.
Well the nurse did 2 ecg because she felt the first must be wrong due to a lose lead,she sealed them and sent me off to docs.
Of course I got to car and read results...OMG!! first one abnormal and the 2nd borderline,took in to doctors and I was a mess....however to my amazement he did not seem concerned...said the first one was wrong and the 2nd one did show ectopic beats,he said there was nothing of major concern and did not show signs of disease (do ecgs show that anyway??)..anyhow,he said he will refer me for a 5 day monitor and if the ectopics are not to frequent he will not see need for any further treatment but if bad will issue meds..
I hate the thought of what awful things this monitor will show up,I am not reassured as that ecg only read my heart for a minute what the hell will 5 days show...
I suffer from indegestion and heartburn a lot and I believe there is a connection but the doc did not...I also have very occassion episodes of paroxysmal tachycardia (anyone else) this is usually brought on by bending quickly...
sorry to go on just wondering if anyone has similar things happen/happening to them
xxxx

diane07
19-02-11, 18:31
Hi jjpester

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Scaredmummy29
19-02-11, 19:20
Hi there, I could give u a very long post about ectopic beats...I am 29 and have been having them since I was 18. I got myself extremely anxious about them I would end up at my doctors in tears. Had numerous ecgs, everything normal I rarely got them when they needed to show up. I was eventually (after persuading my doctor) referred for more tests and almost broke down when I was told of the 8 month waiting list. In my eyes I could be dead by then!! After many evenings of panic and sure that I wasn't going to wake up the next morning, I went private. I saw a consultant who told me straight away that he also has ectopics and is still alive and kicking, he also said that the majority of people have them and that most just don't feel them. In other words they are normal. This consultant really put me at ease and obviously saw my distress as he allowed me to have all the heart tests and didn't even charge me in the end!
My results showed that I did indeed have ectopic beats I was actually relieved when they showed up, I wasn't imagining it!! I had 23 ectopics in 24 hours (holter monitor) which I thought was alot but the doc said some people have thousands and the heart can still sustain them. I also felt runs of ectopics which of course then is the deadly vtach and I would wait to keel over! The doctor also told me that runs often feel like lots in a row but they always have beats inbetween amd again this is no problem. I also had stress test, echo and every other heart test possible. They were all normal. My heart was fine. Of course, I still worried but I was reassured and I want to reassure u. I still get them but when I got them more often it was during a stressful time. I now just let them happen and I found by talking to people and finding out that lots of people notice their heart fluttering really reassured me.
Please don't worry about your heart, I remember a whole year I wasted worrying about mine. Ectopics are absolutely normal x