PDA

View Full Version : Panic while driving-First Time!!

Mark801
19-02-11, 19:15
Hey guys, hope eryone is well today.

I have to say that I feel so depressed. I was doing so well eversince I was out of the hospital last year after my huge panic attack. But this past month has just been pure hell for me.

My heart races for nothing now and it really terrifies me. It races sometimes when I stand up, sometimes it doesn't.

It races when I climb stairs, sometimes it doesn't. I can't even walk a little fast w/o feeling out of breath. Sometimes it's like someone has an invisible pillow over my nose.

Driving used to be always kind of relaxing to me. I'd drive and feel like I have no stress in the world. This past month I find that I get panicky with just now being the worst ever.

I pulled off and was barely doing 40 miles per hour and my heart was thumping, I couldn't breath, and I had an adrenaline rush flowing through my chest and stomach. It was so horrible. I just wanna be a normal 21 year old but I live in fear each day that I won't live to see another day.:weep:

I'll admit I'm very sensitive to caffeine and I had a strong cup of coffee this morning before driving and I was panicky even before I left the house but I can't start my day w/o a cup of coffee. Tried decaff but I don't like it. Could this be a factor?

Please is there anyone who panics when driving, is this normaL? i FEEL LIKE I have a weak heart and I can't handle somethng as simple as driving.

mtatum4496
19-02-11, 19:42
Mark, like you, I used to find a bit of solace by taking a short drive around town. Getting on a major thoroughfare, like an interstate, would cause distress but I could easily drive around town with no problem and actually feel better than I did in other places.

As I have reclaimed some other places, I do notice more anxiety while driving. I honestly don't know if it was always there and it was just so much less than I experienced everywhere else, or if my anxiety is finding a new fun way to manifest itself. If you are finding other places easier to manage, could it be your anxiety is using your time in the car to start acting out?

On the caffeine - I also used to start the day with an ample serving of coffee and would have other sources of caffeine throughout the day. I've cut that way back and it has helped somewhat. Perhaps you could try cutting your coffee consumption in half and see what happens?

On the feeling that you have a weak heart. Assuming you've seen a doctor and have confirmation that your heart is sound, all that is really happening is your oversensitized nerves are tricking you into thinking something is wrong with your heart. Keep in mind that athletes routinely have heart pounding that is at least equal to what you have going when they are engaged in a sport and their hearts do not fail, and they are not damaged. The palpitations are not hurting your heart and don't allow your nerves to convince you otherwise.

Mark801
19-02-11, 19:56
Mark, like you, I used to find a bit of solace by taking a short drive around town. Getting on a major thoroughfare, like an interstate, would cause distress but I could easily drive around town with no problem and actually feel better than I did in other places.

As I have reclaimed some other places, I do notice more anxiety while driving. I honestly don't know if it was always there and it was just so much less than I experienced everywhere else, or if my anxiety is finding a new fun way to manifest itself. If you are finding other places easier to manage, could it be your anxiety is using your time in the car to start acting out?

On the caffeine - I also used to start the day with an ample serving of coffee and would have other sources of caffeine throughout the day. I've cut that way back and it has helped somewhat. Perhaps you could try cutting your coffee consumption in half and see what happens?

On the feeling that you have a weak heart. Assuming you've seen a doctor and have confirmation that your heart is sound, all that is really happening is your oversensitized nerves are tricking you into thinking something is wrong with your heart. Keep in mind that athletes routinely have heart pounding that is at least equal to what you have going when they are engaged in a sport and their hearts do not fail, and they are not damaged. The palpitations are not
hurting your heart and don't allow your nerves to convince you
otherwise.

Thanks for your reply. I have had many heart tests last year when I had my panic attack that landed me in the hospital. I had an echo, 5 ecg's, two xhest xrays and loads of blood work. It's weird cuz last summer when I had my driving test, my heart was pounding like crazy but I knew it was because I just wanted to pass my driving exam. After I passed, when I had anxiety I'd go for a little drive, get a smoothie, go to the lake and just clear my head.

Just now I was leaving my grammas house to come home(slept over last night) and the drive is only ten minutes. I didn't even have to use a highway. Just 40mph and the anxiety kicked in. Now, I don't even know what to explain what the hell is going on.:weep: