PDA

View Full Version : teachers?

a-little-room-to-breathe
02-04-06, 11:36
hey guys! a lot of people have told me i should speak to a teacher at school, and all the other advice iv got here has been great, so i thought id give this one a go.
well, my guidance teacher at school already knows that i have panic attacks, but we've never really talked about it because i have a long and complicated history with the guidance staff at my school. a lot of stuff has happened to me over the past 3 years and its led to a bad relationship between me and the guidance teachers. but i would like to talk to her about it, but, like i said before, i have major trust issues, and if she's worried about something i tell her, she has to pass it onto my parents, which i really dont want. but i do need someone to talk to at school, because i feel like a burden on my friends. im on holiday now so i have ages to decide, but has anyone got any advice?
thanks for listening

love katie xxx

"If I can wipe from any human cheek, a tear,
Convince one man that hope and heaven are near,
Create more joy, more hope, less pain,
And though not one shall know my name nor drop a flower on my grave,
I shall not have lived in vain while here."

inberlin
02-04-06, 14:22
hi katie,

i am sure that if you ask her not to tell your parents, then she should be bound not to, unless you are in immediate danger...anyway that is how it goes with counselors, maybe you could ask her how she deals with privacy issues? it is best to try, because she is there to help you, and to be upfront with her about your fears and issues with trust due to your past experiences with guidance staff will certainly help you along.

i don't know what has happened with your family that makes you not want to talk to them, but regardless what is important is that you have someone who you can talk to, that you trust. and i think it would be a great step for you to take, to help yourself in this way!

i hope this helps, i have also been hurt by people who are supposed to be there to help, and i know it is hard to go and try again, but she is a different person, and it is worth the risk, i would say! good luck to you, and i hope you have a relaxing spring break...

take care,

kelly

giddy
02-04-06, 15:40
Hi, I'm a teacher and we aren't allowed to make promises not to tell parents if we are concerned about somethin said to us. I would still recommend talking to someone though, it really helps me to talk about things. If you can't talk to an adult at school, is there any other adult you trust and could talk too? How about talking to your doctor? I'm not sure about their confidentiality, but I don't think they can talk to your parents without your permission.
Try to have a restful holiday
Take Care
Helen

Keitharcher
02-04-06, 20:07
Hi, Im in education as well and agree with giddy, we cannot promise not to tell your parents, though if it means major problems we will hold back until something is in place to stop it being a major problem. You should talk to your teacher at the school if you want to discuss your problems with an adult at school, you will find that most are understanding. If you tell your doctor he cannot tell unless it directly affects your safty. It may seem a strange thing but try a priest under the confesional, they cannot tell any body

Keith

a-little-room-to-breathe
02-04-06, 20:52
Thanks guys. im still not sure exactly what im going to do but its great to hear from you all. Im just gonna think about it over the holidays and see what i want to do. its hard because i both want to trust someone and dont, especially because im not sure if its wise to confide in people who are unable to keep your secrets.
im not sure what to do. i'll think about it, because I know its best to talk to someone, and let you all know what i decide, ok?
thanks for the advice guys!!

love katie xxx

"If I can wipe from any human cheek, a tear,
Convince one man that hope and heaven are near,
Create more joy, more hope, less pain,
And though not one shall know my name nor drop a flower on my grave,
I shall not have lived in vain while here."

clarissa
04-04-06, 19:35
Have you thought about a therapist, maybe a massage, reflexologist or aromatherapist, they have to abide by confidentiality rules, and you would not have to give a home phone number, or address, just your Dr.s address. If you are still at school are you under 16? Even so you could go with the consent of your parent, but they do not have to be involved, ring the therapist up and chat about your wishes- or e-mail one of us.

there's a place that I dream of when I sleep, so peaceful, so quite, I call it mother earth.

Coni
04-04-06, 20:00
Hi, have you thought about talking to your school nurse. Often they can act as a kind of bridge between you and your teachers if you're having problems. Also she may be able to get you some extra support, advise you on whats available or really just be a listening ear.

Take care

Coni X

May Day
05-04-06, 22:00
Hi Katie

you say that your guidance teacher knows you have panic attacks and that a lot of stuff has happened to you over the past 3 years and its led to a bad relationship between you and the guidance teachers ...

if she knows all these things about you then i think what ever you have to tell her may come as no surprise to her ... trusting someone is a very hard thing to when you think the trust has been or will be broken ... believe me i know ... if you feel you'll benifit from talking to her about your problems then find the courage to do it ... you could ask her not to tell your parents but parents usualy want to help their children ... i hope all goes well for you

May

The brightest, sunniest day may follow the darkest, stormiest night ... enjoy the sun