PDA

View Full Version : FAO Fibromyalgia Suffers

Eggy
20-02-11, 17:48
I need some advice on people who have this because i still think that some of my problems could be caused by Fibromyalgia.

My Symptoms:-

-Fatigue
-Neck Pain
-Chest Pain
-Throat Pain
-Pain in the arms & in the inside of my elbows
-Stomach cramps/pains
-Eye Pain
-Back Pain
-Knee Pain
-Pins & Needles especially in the feet.
-Tingling
-Twitching in Eyes, Face, Arms, Legs, Lips
-Swallowing Problems

Greenman50
20-02-11, 18:08
The ones i have are as follows and i don,t have fibromyalgia as far as i know...
My reasons for mine are as listed

-Fatigue.......................i work hard
-Neck Pain.......................tense muscles ...anxiety
-Chest Pain......................everyday ....acid or muscle spasms
-Throat Pain......................dunno but i,m ignoreing it
-Stomach cramps/pains..........acid stomach
-Eye Pain........................... last month...computer
-Back Pain........................my job
-Knee Pain.......................my right knee is knackered since the 10 pint
night club danceing incident in 2009

-Pins & Needles ....................in left hand ...dunno why
-Swallowing Problems ...............doc says anxiety

The joys of being 45

nomorepanic
20-02-11, 18:23
-Knee Pain.......................my right knee is knackered since the 10 pint night club danceing incident in 2009

That made me laugh Mel :roflmao:

Eggy
20-02-11, 18:33
The ones i have are as follows and i don,t have fibromyalgia as far as i know...
My reasons for mine are as listed

-Fatigue.......................i work hard
-Neck Pain.......................tense muscles ...anxiety
-Chest Pain......................everyday ....acid or muscle spasms
-Throat Pain......................dunno but i,m ignoreing it
-Stomach cramps/pains..........acid stomach
-Eye Pain........................... last month...computer
-Back Pain........................my job
-Knee Pain.......................my right knee is knackered since the 10 pint
night club danceing incident in 2009

-Pins & Needles ....................in left hand ...dunno why
-Swallowing Problems ...............doc says anxiety

The joys of being 45

Thanks for that.

Difference between me and you is i am fatigued all the time without doing anything and my knees hurt and sometimes feel stiff after just sitting down.

Greenman50
20-02-11, 18:37
I was haveing a mini mid life crisis and went clubbing with a few middle aged mates , giveing it "plenty" on the dance floor and my right knee gave way :roflmao:

I thought i was fantastic ..lol..

sadly night clubs are now in my past :weep::weep: just as well really !

itoldyouiwasill
20-02-11, 18:40
The treatment route for fibromyalgia is pretty much exactly the same as that for anxiety, namely SSRI's, CBT and sometimes a medication such as Lyrica etc. The symptoms of fibromyalgia often mirror the symptoms of physical anxiety. Would you rather have a diagnosis of something seemingly firm like fibromyalgia or be told by your GP your symptoms are caused by 'just' anxiety?

...make of that what you will.

Greenman50
20-02-11, 18:41
Hi eggy

Seriously my feet and right knee are allways stiff in a morning aswell , can,t help with the fatique thou mate .

The stiffness wears off when i,m active in the day .

nomorepanic
20-02-11, 18:52
Mel - I can't remember the last time I went to a night club (are they still called that? Well we called them disco's too lol) and I am coming up to your age as well.

Eggy - anxiety is very very tiring in itself. Do you work at all? I can't remember.

Eggy
20-02-11, 19:10
Mel - I can't remember the last time I went to a night club (are they still called that? Well we called them disco's too lol) and I am coming up to your age as well.

Eggy - anxiety is very very tiring in itself. Do you work at all? I can't remember.

No i don't and i'm glad i don't, Day's are hard enough without that and i wouldn't have the energy to do so either, I wouldn't last 5 minutes.

countrygirl
20-02-11, 19:37
The protocol for diagnosing fibro is how many painful trigger points you have. They have a map of trigger points on the body that should be painful and you need a certain number ( can't remember what it is now). I am about 2 short of the number you need and have all your symptoms and have had for about 15 years! As I also have herniated discs in my spine as well and severe health anxiety goodness knows what is causing what:)

My Gp did say that he is very sceptical of the tigger point number diagnosis and he thinks I do have fibro on top of the spine damage and anxiety but as has been said in other post the treatment is same anyway - there is not cure for fibro its a case of living with it as best you can.

nomorepanic
20-02-11, 20:32
I think working would be good for you. If I can work with heart failure and Crohn's then I think you could try it too and I get very tired as you can imagine.

If you don't do much all day then you will be more tired as well.

Are you on benefits then and what did they say you had that stopped you from working?

Clairalou
20-02-11, 21:09
Eggy: sometimes doing nothing at all is much more tiring than working!
I have had all of the symptoms named above an im afraid that all of them were anxiety saying that tho at the time i thought it was the end for me!

My advice... get a job, plenty of fresh air an exercise and im sure in time you'll start to feeling much better! xxx

Greenman50
20-02-11, 21:41
I agree with the above posts , doing nothing makes you feel really tired .

All December and 1/2 of January i spent on the couch all day with my bed pillow and an old sleeping bag over me and a beanie hat on :ohmy: , as i had ear ache ..lol..
I was dozzing on and off all day and asleep all night . Don,t sleep as much now due to the citalapram disturbing my sleep but its getting better .

Looking back i now know i was very depressed and anxiuos at the time , i had no energy at all . It took a lot of will power (and some meds) to get me to where i am today , i slowly forced myself to do more .

Nicola.....Discos :D...that word brings back some memorys ..lol..

I can remember a school Disco i went to in Brown flares with side pockets , i think they were called "baggies" the height of fashion at the time , with a shirt with a massive collar on it :scared15::scared15:. Them were the days !

nomorepanic
21-02-11, 00:17
Mel lol - I remember those days too well!

macc noodle
21-02-11, 01:05
Eggy -too much time to sit and ponder your various ailments - if you had to get up and go to work then you would have less time to ponder and other things to think about.

Harsh maybe? Well, hell yes, but then many of us who suffer anxiety cannot just give up working and in the long run it probably aids our coping skills and, hopefully,ultimate recovery. Besides which my anxiety would be multiplied a hundred times over if I had no money coming in!!!!!!!!!

KK77
21-02-11, 01:30
I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (well, chronic myofascial pain syndrome to be precise - they usually go hand in hand), chronic fatigue, recurrent depression and GAD. Most of the people that know me on this forum are aware that I struggle at times, but that has never stopped me from working and leading a 90% normal life.

The problem Eggy is that stagnation - inactivity - is the biggest enemy in perpetuating your symptoms (whatever the underlying cause). Doesn't necessarily mean you joining a gym, but even getting out, walking perhaps for an hour or so, will help. Even if you're stuck at home, try finding things to occupy you, rather than being glued to your computer screen all day.

I thought you were going to be referred to a rheumatologist who can ostensibly diagnose fibromyalgia? Unfortunately, it's not a condition all doctors agree on: some believe it's psychosomatic - ie, all in your head.

It's a tough old road but you must keep going Eggy.

harasgenster
21-02-11, 10:24
Hi
Yeah, the symptoms of anxiety and fibromyalgia appear to be the same. Only difference I can tell from my Mam having it is that the pain is much more severe and will interrupt walking/going upstairs and that kind of thing.

My Mam also experienced rapid weight loss when the symptoms first came on.

From what I can tell, the difference appears to be severity. If you can't lift things without being in severe pain it could be fibro (my Mam had problems using her hairdryer for instance, because it hurt her wrists to hold it), if you are experiencing aches it is probably just anxiety.

LIke the others say, treatment is the same and working is definitely good for you. My Mam is going back to work and is not eligible for any benefits anyway. She says swimming helps and walking, as contradictory as that sounds! She said getting through the initial pain is worth it because it wears off as you use your body.

The good thing about anxiety symptoms is that they go away, while fibro is seen as incurable.

Hope it turns out to be anxiety :)