PDA

View Full Version : So anxious and desperate.

Mark801
20-02-11, 17:52
Hey guys, I'm feeling so anxious right now and I feel like I'm going nuts. I can't see my gp until March 1st and I need xanax since mine ran out.

But my mom(also has anxiety) takes antivan when she needs to and its the same mg as my xanax(.25mg)

I've been off xanax for about 5 months now but this past month has been horrible for me and that I feel like I need something to calm me down again. I wanna take one of my mom's antivan.

Do you guys think I could? I only drank antivan once and that was when I was in the hospital last year. They gave me antivan to calm me down but prescribed xanax when I was discharged.

What should I do? I'm on the verge of a huge panic attack!!!!!:scared15:

suzy-sue
20-02-11, 18:22
I m sorry to hear you are feeling bad .But you should never take any medication that hasnt been perscribed to you .You need to learn to control these feelings to be able to get well without medication .Using them as a crutch will not benefit you in any way .Learning to accept what you are feeling is just a feeling and will not hurt you ,will help you to ride it out .The more you fight the worse it gets .Learn some relaxation skills and deep breathing techniques and read some literature in understanding Panic and anxiety .This is the only way you will get better .Have you had any CBT THERAPY ? If not I think you should ask for some when you next go to your Dr instead of asking for potentially addictive substances .Relying on these is a sure way of avoiding tackling your problems .It will only keep you in a loop of fear and avoidance ..If you are feeling panicky blow into a paper bag until the feelings subside ,dont fight it ,Let it come and concentrate on your breathing .Nothing bad will happen to you ,you are just overreacting to a normal sensation .Thats what causes Panic attacks ..T/c Sue

suzy-sue
20-02-11, 18:34
Can I also suggest you read cymraig chris s post on the PANIC FORUM ."Panicking about panicking " Just reading through it will take your mind off your Panic .Its an excellent thread ,and Im sure you will find it of some benefit to you . Sue

krees69
20-02-11, 19:18
hi
Hope you are OK. THe 2 drugs you mention are both Benzo's, so are the same family. Officially You should never take anyone elses drug BUT if you are starting what sounds like benzo withdrawal, better something than nothing!. BUT, if you are suffering anxiety, benzo' are really not a long term solution/managment. Yes they calm you down for a few hours, but you need to pop more a few hours later. In my opinion anxiety is best managed as a long game, so, things like SSRI and trycyclics (seroxat, amitryptiline etc, this way you are not running around wondering where you next benzo is coming from! If you have been taking benzos' long term these other drugs will buffer the withdrawal from benzo

I have suffered with Anxiety for 20 years, and know that is likely to be with me for life BUT i take my meds and have councelling, have a few years off treatment, and when my little friend comes calling again i go back on the meds, and because i know there is a successful way of managing this , it doesn't frighten me anymore, like it used to when i first experinced it.

Discuss this long term stuff with your GP
Good luck -may I apologise for my appaling spelling !
Kath