PDA

View Full Version : How can I cope during a panic attack

mica
21-02-11, 08:59
Im currently having a panic attack and dont know how to cope,any suggestions would be great

Captain Caveman
21-02-11, 09:04
Hi. Easier said than done, but try and let go and allow yourself to have whatever feelings come. Here is a more detailed explanation: http://www.panicend.com/

willitstop
21-02-11, 09:52
distraction- listen to music or read a book just do something that will take the focus off the panic :)

Brunette
24-02-11, 11:48
Hi mica,

Distracting yourself isn't a good idea. You have to face your panic, accept it, let it wash over you and then subside - which it always will.

It isn't easy but once you can master this technique you will be in control of your panic attack and not the other way around.

KayleighJane
24-02-11, 14:22
Hi mica,

Distracting yourself isn't a good idea. You have to face your panic, accept it, let it wash over you and then subside - which it always will.

It isn't easy but once you can master this technique you will be in control of your panic attack and not the other way around.

I agree, its worse to fight the symptoms of a panic attack you have to accept the feeling but keep telling yourself its the result of an overactive nervous system and they are only feelings which cannot do you any harm no matter how harmful they actually feel. I have them every day and am slowly learning to accept the feelings and that they will pass eventually.

Captain Caveman
24-02-11, 20:53
Agree with Brunette and kjane re distraction. It just temporarily delays the inevitable next panic attack, which will likely be bigger after avoiding it the previous time.

I agree, its worse to fight the symptoms of a panic attack you have to accept the feeling but keep telling yourself its the result of an overactive nervous system and they are only feelings which cannot do you any harm no matter how harmful they actually feel. I have them every day and am slowly learning to accept the feelings and that they will pass eventually.

Hi kjane. I have query about your suggestion where you say to keep telling yourself that it's just an overactive nervous system and the feelings can't do you any harm. Personally, when all sensitized, if I were to have said that, I would get a "but what if it's not just an overactive nervous system and it really is a heart attack?" Trying to then respond again with something like "it's just nerves, it won't harm you" would again result in "but what if it isn't?" And the endless cycle continues. I found it best to let the feelings come all over you and accept the possibility it could be a heart attack, brain tumour etc.. You then gain confidence and insight from allowing the panic to do the worse and allowing for the possibility of your fears.

Do you not get the same doubtful response when constantly trying to reassure yourself?

willitstop
25-02-11, 10:53
everyone find there own way off dealing with this illness....
there is no right or wrong way so please dont all jump on my suggestion :(

oldtime
25-02-11, 11:21
Don't try and fight it you can't once its started the adrenalin is in your blood and it needs to be used up, let it happen. Actually feel the symptoms and think about how they relate to the fight flight response.

When the main panic has passed I get my book and read trying to let it wash out of me, and sip water. Sipping water is great as it slows your breathing and relaxes you.

Some people do mental maths like counting backwards in 3's from 100, this is good if you are outside. Cup your hands over your mouth and try to breath slower and more deeply.

My panic attacks have definitely got shorter and the after effects are less bad, ie. I feel less drained and shaken by the whole experience.

KayleighJane
25-02-11, 16:19
Agree with Brunette and kjane re distraction. It just temporarily delays the inevitable next panic attack, which will likely be bigger after avoiding it the previous time.

Hi kjane. I have query about your suggestion where you say to keep telling yourself that it's just an overactive nervous system and the feelings can't do you any harm. Personally, when all sensitized, if I were to have said that, I would get a "but what if it's not just an overactive nervous system and it really is a heart attack?" Trying to then respond again with something like "it's just nerves, it won't harm you" would again result in "but what if it isn't?" And the endless cycle continues. I found it best to let the feelings come all over you and accept the possibility it could be a heart attack, brain tumour etc.. You then gain confidence and insight from allowing the panic to do the worse and allowing for the possibility of your fears.

Do you not get the same doubtful response when constantly trying to reassure yourself?

sometimes I get a doubtful response but I just kick it into touch because im 24, Ive had numerous tests done to see if there are any underlying health problems all of which came back normal, Ive been to hospital, seen numerous doctors and they have all come back with the same diagnoses, anxiety and panic attacks so I can't really see the point in sitting there and thinking that something could be happening to you when it isn't if that makes sense. to agree with myself would make me feel worse. hope that makes sense lol

Brunette
28-02-11, 16:01
everyone find there own way off dealing with this illness....
there is no right or wrong way so please dont all jump on my suggestion :(

A panic attack is just the body's natural fight or flight response. When it happens in an inappropriate situation (which is what a panic attack is) the key to stopping it happening is to learn to do neither. Distracting yourself is a form of flight - you are mentally "running away".

melvin
28-02-11, 17:42
Hi. Easier said than done, but try and let go and allow yourself to have whatever feelings come. Here is a more detailed explanation: http://www.panicend.com/

this is a excellent link and has really helped me thanks for putting it on mate

mica
03-03-11, 08:37
Thank you all for the messages :)

Violet59
03-03-11, 19:17
Talk to someone about it. They always say you should have one person that you talk to about your panic attacks, this is called a 'safe person' try it. It helped me alot.