PDA

View Full Version : Advice on returning to work please!

Bravedart
21-02-11, 12:09
Hi All

I've been off work for 2 and half months. I'm looking for some advice from those who were off for this length of time or longer. I don't feel good with symptoms i've listed previously however realise the longer i'm off the harder it will be to return. Any advice on strategies or stories from you which will inspire me will gratefully recieved thanks in advance. :)

Abby1
21-02-11, 13:47
Hi,im in the same boat as yourself,as ive been off since the end of November and would appreciate any advice about returning to work. I still dont feel good,as i feel very anxious but want to try to go back.

Bravedart
21-02-11, 14:09
I know how you feel Abby, Hopefully we'll get some useful responses from people who have been through it. Andrew :hugs:

allergyphobia
21-02-11, 14:15
Hi, I was only off work for a month, and then did a phased return, but can share my experience if you would still find it useful :)

Hazel B
21-02-11, 14:16
Hi, I had 11 weeks off with anxiety and went back to work. My GP advised a "rehabilitation" return, so I did 4 hours a day for the first month instead of full-time. This helped me get back into work without getting too tired at the start. The doc wrote a fit note to that effect and also advised me not to travel for the first month ( I work from 2 sites over 40 miles away ), so I worked form my local office or at home, with a mobile and laptop I can work but I know not everyone can be that flexible.

I covered "light" projects without big deadlines and also made sure that the collegues I trust looked out for me to make sure I was behaving normally and did not seem stressed. I found that returning to work really helped me as it took my mind of health anxiety and all my worries. I had my beta-blockers with me in case but did not need them.

Hope you manage to find a way that works for you.

Bravedart
21-02-11, 14:24
Thanks Hazel, that is useful to know. Thanks for responding. Did your anxiety levels go up and if so for how long when you were returning? Phobia I would welcome your story. :D

Thanks

blueangel
21-02-11, 14:59
That's a good summary from HazelB - I'm a trade union rep where I work and therefore have to represent people who are off sick from work (for all sorts of reasons) and it does definitely follow that the longer you stay off work, the harder it is to return. Even people who are physically ill will find that they lack confidence and suffer anxiety when they have been off work for a long time.

A phased return to work is definitely the way forward and this seems to be what works for most people. You'll need to negotiate your return with your boss (and with the help of the HR department if there is one where you work), and either work fewer hours for a period of time, or use up some annual leave. Try to phase your return over 3-4 weeks and build up the period of time you spend in work.

It's also a good idea to take on lighter duties for a while if that's possible, and also have a "buddy" at work that you can approach if you're having difficulties. This just needs to be someone you can trust to represent your interests, it doesn't have to be a union rep.

Also, don't forget that work can be therapeutic as it can give you other things to think about than anxiety. Good luck!!

allergyphobia
21-02-11, 15:07
Hi again

I went back full time after my month, and on the second day completely cracked then it was agreed I would have a phased return.

I did 20 hours a week for 2 weeks, then 25 for a week, then 30 for a week... then after that month had gone by I went back to full time. It was a bit quick I think, as I did feel like it was a big jump even going from 20 to 25 and moving so quickly after that.

To be honest with you, I didn't feel settled again until I had changed jobs, as I think i held a lot of negative feelings about my old workplace, but when I started my new job, which was probably a month after I had gone back full time, I felt completely normal and still do, no dashing off to the loo anxious etc. In fact I would say now work is where i feel least anxious!

Phased return definitely the way forward and lots of catch ups with your line manager... you shouldn't be thrown in at the deep end... but work definitely helps me to stay in a good routine and stay out of bad anxiety x

Bravedart
21-02-11, 15:41
Thanks guys that really helpful. Think I'll go for the phased return as suggested. Thanks again to you both for responding. :yesyes:

Bravedart
21-02-11, 15:41
Forgot to ask are you both at work at the moment? :ohmy:

allergyphobia
21-02-11, 15:43
hehe, yep!

Bravedart
21-02-11, 15:51
:D

snowgoose
21-02-11, 17:10
hello Andrew:)

cant add much to the excellent advice already given ..phased return and have a buddy on board [you sound lovely so bet you wont struggle there ].

If possible my advice would be for first week to do less than full day ...maybe a half day . it is exhausting no point in lying and I found I thought to myself heck I can manage to lunch time .
And it lessens the pressure a bit if you get me .........you will then be pleasantly surprised I hope that towards end of week you think .......you know I wish I could stay and finish such and such .
Also book in some reward long weekend leave for not too far away as a reward
for you and the family :yesyes:

good luck Andrew best to bite bullet sooner than later ..........but listen to your inner voice too . You will know when you can do it .
x

Hazel B
21-02-11, 17:37
Yep, I'm working full time now, staying away from home one night a week and getting on well.

I did not get anxious about going back to work, my anxiety was never related to work, it was personal issues and a health scare, so work was an escape for me.

Take care and do things at your own pace.

JT69
21-02-11, 17:39
Hi Andrew,

I returned to work in March of last year after being off for 5 months. I work full-time. My illness started in the October and I did unsucessfully attempt to go back in November and then again at the beginning of December but I just wasn't ready. I am a manager in retail and Christmas been our busiest time I felt terriable taking time off hence why I tried to go back...but it was too soon and I did need longer and to be honest the fact that it was our busiest time would of probably added to my anxiety.

So I sucessfully returned in March and on a phased back return (rehabilitation) I did 3 hours a day for the first week and then increased it by 1hr each week until I was back to full time.

There is an element of push around going back. When is the right time?? Only you know that but my advise is just be strong enough to cope with that bit of a push (if that makes sense). For me I knew and I am sure you will too if you are going to be able to cope. The phased in return is the best way to do it as it gets you back and you can go home again after a short time...that way is a test too to see if you are ready.

I know they say the longer you leave it the worst it is and this is true in a sense but you do need to be strong enough to cope.

I wish you luck and hope it all goes smoothly.

Jo.xx

Bravedart
21-02-11, 21:55
Hiya, Thanks to all who have responded to my post I really appreciate it. Thanks for the advice Andrew :bighug1:

Patsta
21-02-11, 23:46
Hi Andrew,
The first time...I went back to work after approx 6 weeks. I was only working part-time then so it was a little easier and everyone at work was great...they all knew that I was suffering form anxiety. All my clients were great also....it was good to talk to them about it, and I was amazed at how many of them had been in the same boat and still were. I think it did me good to be able to start interacting with people again.
The second time, which was about 3 years ago...I went back after 2 weeks. I had started my meds again, so was feeling really bad, but I was self employed and had to go back...For the first week or so I would take xanax in the morning before going to work, so that would calm me right down....by half way through the day...I was fine and back to my old self, not needing to take anymore xanax. I was working full-time then, approx 50 hours per week...two 12 hour days in a row....but I coped and think it was the best thing I could have done...it just took my mind of it all and put back some normality in my life!
You just have to play it by ear...do as much as you are comfortable with...you will in no time be back full-time and wondering what all the fuss was about.
Good Luck
Patty

Bravedart
21-02-11, 23:55
Thanks Patty. :)

Abby1
22-02-11, 08:39
I worry about going back into work as i get bad feelings of depersonalisation (not sure if the Mirtazapine causes this to be honest) when im very anxious and get so spaced out i wonder if i can cope with doing the work,the small talk etc

Bravedart
22-02-11, 12:28
I know how you feel Abby. :hugs:

Abby1
22-02-11, 13:15
Scary isnt it Andrew,im feeling nervous just thinking about going back to work now

Pinkella
22-02-11, 13:33
Bravedart-I return to work tomorrow after having a month off due to a blip back into depression/anxiety....I'm not doing a phased return to work as i only do part time 3 or 4 days a week...work takes my mind off my health problems...and my supervisor always looks out for me when i return to work after a blip of depression and she makes sure i'm on light duties to start with....she's very understanding so lucky to have her as a supervisor.....

Still feel a bit anxious about starting back tomorrow though....

Bravedart
22-02-11, 13:43
Hi Pink

Good luck I hope all goes ok, let me know how you get on. I am a manager so that is putting a bit more pressure on me as I'll be very self aware having meetings etc I think but hey ho. No more vino for you then I presume :winks:

Speak soon.

Pinkella
22-02-11, 13:56
Bravedart- i drink once a week when i go out with friends not every night! :sign20:

Thanks for the good luck wishes!:winks:

Understand what you mean about ur position at work...I'm not a manager but i am one of the most qualified members of staff and alot is expected of me and iv'e been there a long time now,one of the longest! I work with children so i really have to be on the ball!no slacking...lol

Bravedart
22-02-11, 14:02
lol.... Good luck.:)