PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline and Alcohol

Anniejay
02-04-06, 16:17
Hi,

Just been reading the topic about alcohol and Citalopram. Does anyone know if the same can be said for Sertraline and alcohol? I've always had alcohol since starting the Sertraline over 10 years ago and never had a problem, but lately, particularly on a Monday morning after having had a few drinks over the weekend (I don't drink through the week) the feelings of anxiety/panic and depression have been awful. After a particular heavy alcohol weekend a little while ago, I actually had horrendous feelings and thoughts on the Monday morning driving to work. I actually thought 'If I drive my car into the barrier, maybe I can end it all' It was as if there was someone in my head and they had taken over and put that thought there. THAT really scared me! I have nothing to run away from! I have a great husband and two teenage kids - who yes DO cause me some problems, but certainly not to the extent that I would end it all! Then as the week progresses I feel fine again - happy etc. Can this be that suddenly I can't drink and take sertraline anymore? Can it be connected with my age too? I'm nearly 48. Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Annie

clickaway
02-04-06, 16:49
Hi Annie,

Sertraline (also known as Zoloft and Lustral) is one of many drugs where they recommend you keep off the alcohol.

""Alcohol:
Although sertraline did not potentiate the cognitive and psychomotor effects of alcohol in experiments with normal subjects, the concomitant use of sertraline and alcohol in depressed patients has not been studied and is not recommended. '' from http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-z02.html

Like with all these things, the pharmacies are protecting themselves but treat this as protection of you too. You'll probably find that you can have the odd drink OK, but maybe you need to stop the heavy drinking sessions. Next time you go out with your mates, modify or even nullify your intake and see if it makes a difference.

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Anniejay
02-04-06, 17:49
Thanks Ray! Trouble is - I really look forward to a drink or 3 at weekends to help me unwind - it's a bit of a vicious circle really!

I will try to moderate it though -

Annie

cwoz82
14-08-10, 11:28
Sorry I realise this is old but does this basically mean that every once in a while, as long as in moderation then it's sort of acceptable to take alcohol with sertraline?
I generally don't drink anyway but I have been fancying a glass of red wine and I'm going camping with family next weekend and wouldn't mind a glass of something to finish out the day. I used to be on citalopram and had a couple of occasions where I drank and it seemed to make me drunk an awful lot faster...my hubby did me a bath with a glass of wine when I got in from work one night, after half of a second glass my hubby had to carry me to bed! But citalopram affected me an awful lot more than the sertraline has.
My Dr usually tells me if there is to be absolutely no drinking but she didnt mention it with citalopram or sertraline. On citalopram it said drinking is not advised but on sertraline it does say DO NOT drink alcohol with this medication.
Clearly it doesn't kill people but I don't want to ruin my treatment either for one glass of wine?

KK77
14-08-10, 23:52
Sorry I realise this is old but does this basically mean that every once in a while, as long as in moderation then it's sort of acceptable to take alcohol with sertraline?
I generally don't drink anyway but I have been fancying a glass of red wine and I'm going camping with family next weekend and wouldn't mind a glass of something to finish out the day. I used to be on citalopram and had a couple of occasions where I drank and it seemed to make me drunk an awful lot faster...my hubby did me a bath with a glass of wine when I got in from work one night, after half of a second glass my hubby had to carry me to bed! But citalopram affected me an awful lot more than the sertraline has.
My Dr usually tells me if there is to be absolutely no drinking but she didnt mention it with citalopram or sertraline. On citalopram it said drinking is not advised but on sertraline it does say DO NOT drink alcohol with this medication.
Clearly it doesn't kill people but I don't want to ruin my treatment either for one glass of wine?

I take sertraline and do have the occasional drink. I find alcohol affects me a lot quicker so I just have a couple (instead of a dozen :wacko:).

Go easy and see how you're affected - but yes, strictly speaking, you should avoid alcohol completely (pffft they're such killjoys these drugs companies).