PDA

View Full Version : OCD therapist in Essex - bit of a ramble, sorry!

happysoon?
21-02-11, 20:40
Hello

Can any of you recommend a good therapist for OCD in the Colchester area of Essex?

From reading these boards (which I have to say have been an absolute godsend, you are such a lovely group of people) I would say I have "Pure O".
I think I've got quite an obsessive personality if that makes sense, I am quite an intense person. But I have noticed over the last year or so my obsessions have got worse.
I have a fear of food poisoning/tummy bugs so only eat veggie food when I'm eating out, and will only eat meat if my mum or dad cook it as I know it's safe (sounds crazy doesn't it!). If I see vomiting or diarrhea on TV I actually feel like I am going to faint.
I had a fear of developing BSE/CJD and spent about a month of this summer convinced I had it and was going to die. Again, I must sound nuts.

I also have a fear of being a victim of crime, particularly violent crime. So much so I am always very tense when I am out and about and don't trust new people very much.

And recently...
I have a lot of stress in my life (work is crappy, mum is very ill and recently became disabled, mum and dad argue badly, I have social anxiety and therefore few friends) and recently woke up having an awful anxiety attack. I honestly thought I was going mad, I've never felt so awful in my life. It's left me feeling so depressed.

So now I'm convinced I am going mad and now keep having awful intrusive thoughts that I am going to go mad and harm my family or friends or pets. I can't bear to see sharp objects because of the thoughts that come with them and spend ages looking up mental illnesses on the net. The thoughts can give me awful anxiety attacks (sweating, shaking, wanting to cry)
It's so weird though, I am terrified of violence and am a non-confrontational, shy person. I would never act out these thoughts and I don't enjoy them or anything. I adore my family and friends so these thoughts make me feel so ashamed and upset.

Seeing other people felt the same on these boards was a godsend, I was about to hand myself into the authorities and thought I was a sicko.

I am seeing a CBT therapist who is ok but I wondered if I'd be better off seeing someone who purely deals with OCD. I was originally referred to my therapist for social anxiety. I saw my GP today who prescribed Citalopram (20mg), but guess what, I am worried about the side effects and won't take them.

Sorry about the ramble, any help would be much apprieciated, feeling so sad and worried :weep:

miss_moose
21-02-11, 22:05
Whenever I want to look for a therapist I use the BACP website.
YOU can search for a therapist who deals with specific issues in your area, and also the type of therapy you' like fo example Cognative behavioural, or something more hostillic such as art therapy.
All the therapists on there are private and usually charge beween £25 and £45

http://www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk/therapists/

happysoon?
21-02-11, 22:39
Thanks for this! :)

bomberbeamish
22-02-11, 10:42
hi happysoon,, your not going mad we all think that, its scaary i know. if we were going mad we wouldnt know. in manningtree bout 9 miles from colchester is a hpnotherpist called gramham howe, mite be spelt wrong, ive used him but he is great and can work with you, he does do home visits or go to him, he is from harley street , he great bloke and worked with me and he gives you recordings of the session to listern to in your own time, maybe worth a look up,

x