PDA

View Full Version : HELP.....Seroxat's suddenly turned against me

MandyMoOo
22-02-11, 15:08
Hi,
I really can't believe I'm here but am grateful that I'm at least able to type this after the horrendous symptoms I've recently been experiencing which I think is due to my wonder drug, Seroxat. I've been on it about 9 years after wasting years of my young life trying to overcome my anxiety disorder via therapy, self help, complementary therapy etc. I had been on seroxat for about a year a few years before which helped my symptoms then but I was a wreck again when they stopped it. So when the Dr offered help for my disabling anxiety I asked for Seroxat as I knew it had worked before where other antidepressants had failed. So since I've been back on seroxat I was able to live my life again. I wasn't high or cut off from my emotions or anything, I still had feelings and my OCD symptoms were still there, just easier to deal with and my panic attacks stopped. I don't regret taking it as this drug helped me feel 'normal' however, the last couple of weeks something odd has happened. I started getting anxiety quite badly in short spells. I'd hoped it would pass but each week I seem to be worse and it's getting very scary. It started with me feeling normal and having odd anxiety spells to now being an anxious, crying wreck most of the time constantly trying to fight off panic attacks....and then sometimes I feel normal again for an evening or something. I feel like I'm going mad, I'm assuming it's panic attacks altho it feels way beyond panic, like everything I know looks weird, I'm looking on the world through someone else's eyes, severe, out of control anxiety where my legs go, I terrified of everything, my hearing went once, muscle spasms...the list is endless. It's hard to explain but I'm so scared I'm going to go mad and end up in a mental hospital which will freak me out even more cuz I know there are some dangerous pantients in those places who are allowed to mingle with everyone else. I worry about my poor mother having to deal with it etc. Everyday it's like waking up to a nightmare. I tried to lower my dose of the drug but felt worse. Every day is different, I'm just trying to ride it out right now as this kinda thing has happened before (but not for as long or quite as bad) and I stuck with the drug and stabilized again after a couple of weeks and was fine. I feel like I've been put on another drug or something. Surely Seroxat can't just alter their formula without putting a warning on the box? I woke up today having the worst panic attack yet, I couldn';t even focus enough to get on the laptop to write this so I listening to some BINAURAL BEATS which are supposed to reduce anxiety and I believe this is the only reason I'm not still climbing the walls in a disorientated mess. It helped when I listened to these Binaural beats yesterday aswell...the only problem with this is, it can take a good hour of listening before I feel better which I don't have time for before going to work etc. I've been trying all sorts of tricks to help me but they are all very difficult to do in public without feeling like a **** so then I have to try and find a toilet to hide in. I'm really shocked as I've been practising meditation at my local Buddhist centre for years and always thought I could regain control but it feels virtually impossible now as I can hardly remember how to meditate in the middle of an attack and I'm too scared to try. It wasn't easy to meditate even when seroxat was behaving for me but at least it was possible. I'm scared to trust my Dr as know they don't really understand and don't wanna be put in a mental hospital, it would make me worse to leave my cat and be afraid of all the nutters in there. I can't work out why it's suddenly doing this to me, I don't know whether top ride it out now I've got this far )as it feels like anxiety u can experience when getting used to a new drug) or whether to ask to switch to another drug which could make me worse for another 3 weeks while it's getting into my system. I don't have time for this bullshit. Just wanna get back to beign me again. Sorry to moan, I just wondered if it's normal for this drug to suddenly do this even when it's been working so well?
Hope you are all doing ok,
Mandy x

Bib-Weeb
22-02-11, 22:05
Hi

About the concern you have about 'Seroxate' Company altering the Dose of the Med's etc.
I had similar problems concerning a Colesterol Drug 'Lipitor'
The pharmaseutical ( bet i spelt that wrong ) company had changed the 'Box', and i was told it was the same drug that i had been on for 10 yrs, but just the 'Box' had changed..Noooo...They had in some way changed the drug too. as after all the years of successfully taking the drug, I immediately had weird symptoms..ie: indigestion, and Insomnia.
Am now taking 'Simvastatin', which so far so good seems ok.
Also......
I have to take a GTN spray, for my Angina pain.( when i get it)
I used a great one for around 9-10 yrs which worked well to get rid of the chest pains etc.
Then, oh my! they changed the 'Box' !
I then had to use it , and found it wasn't doing it's job!, so i rang the Company, and asked if anything at all had changed.
They admitted they had in fact stopped making it, and someone else had the patten for it.
I then rang the New Company, who admitted to me they had altered the % of the required dose, and used less of the drug. How Awfull!!!!!
I told them how terrible i thought this was, and was totally ignored.
I now use another spray, But it isn't a patch on the old one, and i now also have to wear a GTN patch every day to make up for the drug companys ignorance.!

Maybe it would be a good idea if you rang the drug company up who make your 'Seroxat' and ask if there had been any changes to the way they make the drug.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ellen

I hope you fee

maybeoneday
22-02-11, 22:49
hi
have you just started taking this medication again? i know when i first started seroxat i felt 1000 times worse for the first 6 weeks,but then i was good it worked realy well then i got an overactive thyroid and and this can hgive you anxiety and panic attacks thats sorted now but i dont think seroxat is working for me anymore asi now have agoraphobia which i never had before,

MandyMoOo
25-02-11, 15:25
Hi, no I've been on these meds for years but it feels, since I began my recent perscription (and therefore, a new batch) that I've been given something else....or a more powerful dose. I had this once before over a year ago and couldn't work out why. I eventually realised altho the packaging still said Seroxat and had the same company name, that the packaging had altered and the pills no longer had Seroxat stamped on them...just 2.0. So I put it down to them possibly altering the formula a bit....and after about 4 weeks, I was fine again. Now a year later it's happening again but worse. Got a rash and burning face etc. I can deal with that tho just not the mental torture. How can something that worked so well suddenly do this? I would have thought, if it had stopped working, that my decline would have been more gradual. I'm fed up with it now, hopefully I can find another med that works without all this unecessary bullshit!