PDA

View Full Version : OCD or something more ?

dc100
23-02-11, 14:58
Hi - i don't know whats going on with my mind anymore but the last few weeks i have been on edge with intrusive thoughts and obsessions, i have suffered for many years but now i have come to breaking point and feel im losing it or am becoming paranoid.

I have fears of drug contamination ever since i took drugs when i was a teenager over 15 years ago (i only took them for about 6months as most teenagers do) but im still scared of being spiked or contaminated with drugs and losing control of my mind , it seems to get so much worst when i have stress in my life and recently i have had 2 big life events and the fears have come flooding back worst than before now im worried im losing the plot or im becoming paranoid and will end up in hospital.

for years i have used avoidance of anything which would reminded me of my past drug taking and i developed a fear of someone putting something in my food, drink or me coming into contact with a substance. i will only buy my food from certain places i feel are safe or i have eaten before and it has stopped me doing so much because of the irrational fears its really limited where i can go and do, i know its highly unlikely and i have blown the issue out of all proportion. lately its has got really out of control to the point im pretty much scared to eat, drink, smoke a cigarette without the intrusive thoughts and worry about contamination and it takes me ages to calm myself down and think rationally again.

im really feeling down and at the end of my resilience before when things in my life are stable it doesn't really bother me it pops in now and again and i can normally dismiss it as a silly thought but now im completely obsessing about all the time.

I guess im asking for some advice and if anyone else has been through anything similar and has found a way of coping and beaten it, i have seen my GP and said about my anxiety level but im so scared of saying i am worried about being drugged in case they cart me off to the mental hospital

WeirdGirl
23-02-11, 20:00
Hi, I can totally understand what you mean I'm exactly the same with food and drink, Sadly I don't know how to deal with it either I'm scared to even tell anyone because they will just think I'm being stupid!

Sounds a bit hypocritical but I think you should mention it to your doctor, they will understand more about why you are so anxious, and maybe give you some medication or advice you to see a counsellor... worst thing to do is keep it to yourself.

Sorry I'm not much help, just wanted you to know your not the only one feeling this way, I hope you get it sorted and feel better.

dc100
23-02-11, 21:11
thanks - that is a help i have kept it in for so long i have made the problem worst i need to work through it and try and put it behind me and move on with my life without constant anxiety

Captain Caveman
23-02-11, 22:06
Hi. For me personally, if I would have a irrational fear and was unable to dismiss the thought (despite a part of me logically recognizing the irrational nature of it) I would respond in a manner that left ambiguity and uncertainty. Trying to reassure myself that such and such wasn't spiked would result in an endless loop of doubt, reassurance, doubt, reassurance, doubt, reassurance, doubt.....

Here is a snippet from an article I have found useful.

"The more one infuses a genuine emotional emphasis into the responses, the more they will enhance the potency and efficacy of the therapy. "There may be AIDS on the doorknob. I'll choose to TAKE THE RISK and touch it anyway." Within this response set there will be a greater degree of benefit when the infinitesimal chance of danger is actually considered. Making the decision to live with the uncertainty and truly accepting all possibilities is, therefore, most beneficial. " http://www.ocdonline.com/definecbt.php