PDA

View Full Version : Cystitis / UTI ?

HazG
23-02-11, 21:02
Are these the same thing ? i was going to get some powders as i have been running to the loo and have low pain also in the bottom of my back.

I wasn't sure if it was the same thing :blush:

GunMetal
23-02-11, 21:41
Hiya no they're not the same thing! What you have definately doesn't sound like cystitis. You would definately know if you had that. It was be very painful to pass urine, and as soon as you had finished you get a feeling like you need to pass urine again.
A UTI can present itself in different ways. Dark coloured urine, lower back pain etc so sounds more like that. For UTIs its best to take a sample in to your gp surgery (make an appt to see a nurse, will be much quicker and they can deal with it). They will test it and give you antibiotics. The over the counter powders won't do anything if it is indeed a UTI. Above all, increase your intake of water, lemon barley water is also good!

Hope that helps
Jen

harasgenster
24-02-11, 16:18
Bacterial cystitis and UTIs are the same thing. A UTI just means Urinary Tract Infection. Bacterial cystitis means an infection in the bladder. The bladder is within the urinary tract so one kind of UTI :).

You can get any number of symptoms, some people just get frequency and urgency (that's all I ever get), for others it stings when you go to the toilet. For most you have dark urine that smells stronger. If you get pain in your flanks (upper back and sides) the infection has spread to your kidneys (common and nothing to worry about so long as you see a doctor). If you have back pain you might want to go to the doctors and check for infection because they will have to put you on antibiotics. Try the sachets and drink loads of water. You can try cranberry juice but I think that's mostly to stop it developing than to cure it. It can go away itself like a lot of minor infections but if it sticks around you need a doctor.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinary_tract_infection

HazG
24-02-11, 21:01
Bacterial cystitis and UTIs are the same thing. A UTI just means Urinary Tract Infection. Bacterial cystitis means an infection in the bladder. The bladder is within the urinary tract so one kind of UTI :).

You can get any number of symptoms, some people just get frequency and urgency (that's all I ever get), for others it stings when you go to the toilet. For most you have dark urine that smells stronger. If you get pain in your flanks (upper back and sides) the infection has spread to your kidneys (common and nothing to worry about so long as you see a doctor). If you have back pain you might want to go to the doctors and check for infection because they will have to put you on antibiotics. Try the sachets and drink loads of water. You can try cranberry juice but I think that's mostly to stop it developing than to cure it. It can go away itself like a lot of minor infections but if it sticks around you need a doctor.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinary_tract_infection

thankyou :yesyes: good reading

Tracy68
03-03-11, 11:02
Can i just ask a question on this subject please.
Its very personal so sorry if tmi....but with cystitis (which i think i'm suffering) i'm not actually experiencing pain when peeing but at the moment i'm finding that as soon as i go i feel that i need to go again within 5 mins and also i'm experiencing discomfort around that area even when i'm just sitting....anyone else experienced this or can tell me if this can be a symptom of cystitis?

Thanks
xx

SW
03-03-11, 11:21
hi there my mum currently has that at the mo...the doc just told her to drink plenty of water to flush everythin out.

hope that helps xx