PDA

View Full Version : Medications for Social Anxiety??

tisa
24-02-11, 15:35
Hi. Anyone on medication for being socially anxious?? Just wondered what you take and does it work?? Look forward to your replies

Towers
27-02-11, 09:32
Hi tisa,

Have you ever taken propranolol Beta-blockers for this?
I take them and find they do help me a bit when in social situations.

JayDeee
02-03-11, 15:10
Hi tisa,

Have you ever taken propranolol Beta-blockers for this?
I take them and find they do help me a bit when in social situations.

I am looking into taking Propranolol for my social anxiety, would you say they are very helpful or not that much? (If you don't mind me asking)

Thanka

JayDeee
02-03-11, 15:10
*Thanks

Towers
02-03-11, 18:43
Hi Jaydeee,

I would say for me they are 50/50 - but I am only on a lowish dose.

tisa
08-03-11, 15:31
Thank you for your reply Towers. I do have some Propranolol but I don't take them daily as I currently take Citalopram (30mg). I tend to take the Propranolol on a 'as & when required' basis i.e before a social event. I've done this in the past and have found it helpful.. perhaps I should take them more often -x-

JayDeee
12-03-11, 19:03
Thanks Towers! Out of all the medication, Propranolol would be the only one I'd be willing to try... sounds the safest to me although, probably not the most effective. Perhaps it would work better paired with therapy, I may have to try this..

suzy-sue
13-03-11, 00:47
This will only stop the heart beating fast or irratically .CBT will help you more than anything else .Discuss this with your Gp as there is usually a long waiting list . sue

butterfly1
13-03-11, 20:04
Hi i also suffer from social anxiety and would like to know if anything helps((apart from alcohol) lol:)

yreffej
19-03-11, 11:23
Hi
I was put on Propanalol last year after having 3 major panic attacks and being admitted to hospital (thought I was having Heart Attack!). They are really good for easing the Physical effects of Anxiety/panic and stop your heart from racing out of control. However, they do nothing for the psychological side of panic. It's a really weird experience having a panic attack but with no physical symptoms! They also made me really tired. I will say though, I had NO negative side effects from them and did find them useful.