PDA

View Full Version : House fire fear

Em.ma
24-02-11, 20:07
Hi. With the kitchen light and hallway light they sometimes flicker for ages before turning on. A few weeks ago there was an electrical burning smell in house. Just worries me a little lol

LucyR
24-02-11, 20:20
Hi, Sometimes this happens with some lights and is just the way they work. I thought the smell was from your cooker which tends to happen when bits of food get burned on with time and heat. If you have old wiring, why not get an electrical check.

Em.ma
24-02-11, 21:04
Thanks. Just tried the kitchen light again ( it's three lights in one) and now two bulbs are doing it. I assume that smell weeks ago was from the cooker- it hasn't happened since. Not sure about wiring we have. Would have to ask dad that lol:) thanks

LucyR
24-02-11, 21:08
Hi Emma, Glad to try to be of help. Perhaps some of the bulbs on your light fitting are beginning to go? I should think it definately was your cooker, sometimes I get the burning smells too, we just have to keep on top of the cleaning up of any burnt on deposits on the oven grill or hob. If you have old wiring though, it can not only be dangerous but it can run up a large electricity bill too. If you are in Council property, they would come and do an inspection and update it for free, but if you are private, you would have to call out an electrician to do checks.