PDA

View Full Version : trazodone and sexual function

charmer
24-02-11, 22:42
hi folks

im new here and i have done a search but it didn't seem to cover the possible effects of sexual disfunction (in males). i have taken anti-depressants in the past and the majority of them have screwed up my sexual desires. i have had lofepramine and venlafaxine and they made sex a no no. the only med i had that didn't seem to have any adverse effects was nefazodone but that is no longer prescribed.
so today my doctor has put me on trazodone 50mg. the main reason is to help with sleeping problems caused by alcohol abuse. in addition it may help with my depressed state.
i was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this drug and if it impairs sexual activity?. i have read conflicting information about the possible effects of the drug and so before taking the stuff i would like to have an idea what i might be letting myself in for?.

missy007
24-02-11, 22:52
Hi Charmer

I have been on trazodone 100mg for last 4 months but have recently been upped to 300mg :ohmy: which I have to say I am struggling with at the moment and one of the side effects I have is a loss of libido (I am female).

Not much help I know but that is my experience with it - does help me sleep though.

Missy

charmer
24-02-11, 23:13
Hi Charmer

I have been on trazodone 100mg for last 4 months but have recently been upped to 300mg :ohmy: which I have to say I am struggling with at the moment and one of the side effects I have is a loss of libido (I am female).

Not much help I know but that is my experience with it - does help me sleep though.

Missy

thank you for your reply missy007. there does seem to be a pattern with most anti-depressants having an effect on sexual function. i still haven't decided whether or not to take the trazodone or just live with feeling low. it is a catch 22 situation because i don't want to feel depressed but if i take the trazodone and can't have sex then i would be depressed about that too.

missy007
24-02-11, 23:23
Hi again

I would give the trazodone a try - it is an excellent sleep aid - or so I have found - but not everyone is affected by side effects and you may be lucky enough not to have that effect - just try not to concentrate on that aspect too much and you should be fine.

Tc Missy

rooby
25-02-11, 23:16
I took traz for a while and it had no sexual side effects at all, and on such a low dose you should be fine

Greenman50
26-02-11, 00:07
What does it say in the leaflet mate ??? The citralapram i,m on says loss of desier , ED and the such like and delayed or failed orgasm (sorry if its to graphic ) but the only thing i,ve found is the desire is still there , everything is ready , but someone has forgot the bullets . It did work at first but not at the moment :roflmao:

At the moment at extra roast spud at Dinner seems like all i,m getting anyway (married) so unfortuneately its no great loss for me at the moment :shrug:

charmer
26-02-11, 00:50
thank you for all your replies folks. as a 36 year old male sex means a lot to me and so i am dubious about taking another anti-depressant. i have got the prescription from my doctor sat on the shelf at home ready for when i decide whether or not to take this drug. i know there are many good points about trazodone but after reading up on this drug i am actually scared about taking this drug for the first time. i know it is probably quite safe but after reading some of the horror stories i am scared about taking it.