PDA

View Full Version : Globus feeling in throat and back ???

Greenman50
24-02-11, 21:56
Anyone who gets this globus feeling , and tighness around the neck , does anyone get a lump feeling in there back aswell / chest etc...

Please share i would appreciate your thoughts / symtyms before my anxiety gets a grip again :mad::mad:

Thanks

nomorepanic
24-02-11, 22:48
That sounds more like acid reflux/indigestion to me Mel

Greenman50
24-02-11, 23:37
Thanks for the reply Nicola

I do burp alot and the lump feels like trapped wind at times , but i don,t get a sore throat anymore and my stomach is much better these days .

I,ve never had acid reflux , as in i,ve never felt acid comeing up and burning heartburn . I know theres this silent reflux where just enough comes up to cause irritation , perhaps its that .

I got put on acid meds because of the sore throat , but it was a bit of a DR,s Guess if you know what i mean before a ENT appointment .

Perhaps it will go the longer i take the acid meds . I feel like this is the last hurdle to getting back to normal .

Thanks again

Mel

nomorepanic
25-02-11, 00:10
Yeah you don't need to get all the burning feeling in the throat to have reflux or indigestion.

It is common to feel chest pain and pain in the back with it though.

I get the globus feeling a lot but never back or chest pain with it - if that helps.

Greenman50
25-02-11, 16:07
Yes it has helped , the more i think indigestion , the more it adds up . I,ll discuss it with the doc again on Thursday when i go for the regular meds review .

Cheers

Mel

Greenman50
26-02-11, 22:39
That sounds more like acid reflux/indigestion to me Mel

The more i think about it , the more i think your right . I ate tomatoes today and drank stella last night (big mistake) i have heart burn again today something i,ve not had for ages , my back is sore , the globus is worse and my swallowing feels worse . I think i need to change my diet and stop drinking again .
Really miffed as i like to unwind with 4 cans :weep:

Mogwog
01-03-11, 12:20
Mel - I'm so glad you posted this as this is exactly what I have! A lump in the throat which also feels like its in back and sometimes chest too. Its relieved when I burp but is back within seconds, is this the same for you? It is driving me mad and making my anxiety levels sky high. Mine started when I started taking fluoxetine - got a drs appt tonight to talk about it and poss change meds. I hate it its the worst feeling in the world :-(

I've had it everyday for nearly a month now.

Laura.x

Greenman50
03-03-11, 22:08
Hi mogwog

Sorry i didn,t reply earlier i didn,t see your post . Hope your appointment went ok :)

Update.....went the dr,s today on the 3 weekly check up re the stomach meds and cit / valium :blush:
I mentioned the globus / swallowing /burning stomach (its off again :mad:) and the lump feeling in the back when swallowing like food is stuck and the burping i now have aswell ........Its all anxiety related according to the doc , like Nicola said its indigestion and / or muscle spasms in the osophagus (spelling ) stomach and /or chest causeing the tightness . She explained the muscles are all connected and that its an unconsiuos reflex to swallow but if you have anxiety (even if you don,t feel anxious at the time) it can make your insides tight , she explained it like a kink in a hose pipe when watering the garden , relax the hosepipe (un kink it ) and it works properly again . Unfortuneately its just time to get it right again so i,m happy to wait for it to go .

How are you ?

honeyp1e
04-03-11, 12:38
Hi mogwog

Sorry i didn,t reply earlier i didn,t see your post . Hope your appointment went ok :)

Update.....went the dr,s today on the 3 weekly check up re the stomach meds and cit / valium :blush:
I mentioned the globus / swallowing /burning stomach (its off again :mad:) and the lump feeling in the back when swallowing like food is stuck and the burping i now have aswell ........Its all anxiety related according to the doc , like Nicola said its indigestion and / or muscle spasms in the osophagus (spelling ) stomach and /or chest causeing the tightness . She explained the muscles are all connected and that its an unconsiuos reflex to swallow but if you have anxiety (even if you don,t feel anxious at the time) it can make your insides tight , she explained it like a kink in a hose pipe when watering the garden , relax the hosepipe (un kink it ) and it works properly again . Unfortuneately its just time to get it right again so i,m happy to wait for it to go .

How are you ?

OMG glad you wrote this right now am panicking been having anxious / panicky feeling since i woke up for no reason don't no what it is also the lump feeling in throat like food is stuck / spasms in throat / stomach / trembling.. my doc explains the spasms are cos there all connected stomach/ throat etc and that the lump feeling can be acid which i get badly in my back and my throat but am getting bad watery bash (if thats what it is called?) were i keep getting a bad watery mouth every two mins but i just cant eat when am so anxious i lose my appetite got horrible stomach feeling like am waiting for something to happen to me i just cant relax ??????

Mogwog
04-03-11, 12:46
Hi Mel

Got your message thanks:)

The lump in throat feeling was really bad for me yesterday and this morning but I have taken some gaviscon and its still there but not too bad. It definately gets worse the more I focus on it and then I think "oh god its something bad" which makes it even worse its such a vicious circle:mad:. After reading your post I have decided to ingnore this feeling and hpefully with time it will bugger off!!
Please keep me updated on how you are feeling/coping with this - its helped alot to know that someone else has exactly the same thing at the mo.

Once again thanks for your reply.

Laura :D

Mogwog
04-03-11, 12:48
OMG glad you wrote this right now am panicking been having anxious / panicky feeling since i woke up for no reason don't no what it is also the lump feeling in throat like food is stuck / spasms in throat / stomach / trembling.. my doc explains the spasms are cos there all connected stomach/ throat etc and that the lump feeling can be acid which i get badly in my back and my throat but am getting bad watery bash (if thats what it is called?) were i keep getting a bad watery mouth every two mins but i just cant eat when am so anxious i lose my appetite got horrible stomach feeling like am waiting for something to happen to me i just cant relax ??????

Hi Chick

I know how your feeling . When it gets really bad I am going to come back and look at this thread as its really helped me.

Hope you are ok today

Laura.x

honeyp1e
04-03-11, 13:17
Hi Chick

I know how your feeling . When it gets really bad I am going to come back and look at this thread as its really helped me.

Hope you are ok today

Laura.x

:weep: just haven't stopped panicking and feeling anxious like something is about to happen to me since about 6am worse is i dont eat on days like today as am emetophobic (fear of me vomiting) so this horrible nervous belly feeling puts me off eating have been bad for a while now am down to 6st and cant afford to lose anymore so i need to try and get past this not eating and just eat on a nervous sickly stomach but think if i eat i will be sick ???

does anyone eat on a nervous stomach & why do we lose appetite ??

Mogwog
04-03-11, 13:35
aww its ok. I'm emetophobic too - when I get like this I tend to eat plain and dry stuff. Don't try and eat big meals, just try more smaller meals. I eat bananas, toast, biscuits yoghurt etc. Just try and eat slowly too.

Laura.xxxxxx

honeyp1e
04-03-11, 13:50
i had a small roll toast this morning at 7am never ate it till about 10.30am and 3 digestives all between 7am & 12pm that's how long it took me to eat and there only small rolls & only had 1 that's how bad i am i hate this nervous stomach feeling !!!!!!!
then at hal1 had a ice cake with jam but i wanna get over this and just eat but dont feel i can my phobia has taken over my life and anxiety causing this nervous sickly stomach kicks it off :( as i no i need food and my stomach rumbling

Greenman50
04-03-11, 18:15
Mel - I'm so glad you posted this as this is exactly what I have! A lump in the throat which also feels like its in back and sometimes chest too. Its relieved when I burp but is back within seconds, is this the same for you? It is driving me mad and making my anxiety levels sky high. Mine started when I started taking fluoxetine - got a drs appt tonight to talk about it and poss change meds. I hate it its the worst feeling in the world :-(

I've had it everyday for nearly a month now.

Laura.x

Hi Laura
Mines really bad again today . It just feels like something is stuck in my back all the time today and when i eat i can feel food hit this lump feeling in my back . I hate it , its getting to me today :blush:

What did your doctor say ?

honeyp1e
04-03-11, 19:41
Hi Laura
Mines really bad again today . It just feels like something is stuck in my back all the time today and when i eat i can feel food hit this lump feeling in my back . I hate it , its getting to me today :blush:

What did your doctor say ?

I have been the same all today feeling something in my throat & got that horrible lump feeling along with waterybrash and
Have to keep swallowing everytwo muns really don't no what is up with me today just feel so anxious and panicky haven't calmed down all day and the sickly stomach really puts me off as am emetophobic :( I just wish it would go away just had an hours sleep and am still feeling horrible my belly is making the craziest rumbling noises ever and just feel so drained / depressed and just can't cope anymore with all this

Mogwog
05-03-11, 19:17
Mine was really bad yesterday, I was really down about it but its not been so bad today - who knows what it will be like tomorrow.

My Dr thinks I have an irritated gullet due to fluoxetine capsules so has switched me to liquid, and that I have reflux and am anxious and thats why I have this feeling in throat, I have to keep a bottle of gaviscon advance nearby when the reflux gets bad. Mt Dr won't give me anything else as she said its all in capsule form and will just irritate my throat more. I just wish it would go away for good. I know what you mean about feeling it as your eating etc - I do especially in my back its horrible. Hopefully tomorrow will be better for all of us.

Laura.x

jaynemarie
21-03-11, 14:46
I am so glad i have found this thread, i thought i was going mad. I get that lump in the back feeling and tight chest and sometimes burning at back of throat. I just wondered if you had managed to get over these feelings. thanks Jayne x

Greenman50
21-03-11, 17:34
Nope , mines still the same :blush:
It feels like indigestion at times , my back hurts inbetween my shoulder blades and when i swallow i feel the food hiting something on the way down. I also get the lump in the throat feeling aswell .
Had it since mid December , its no worse but no better either !

jaynemarie
21-03-11, 23:22
same here. Seeing my Gp again this week see what she says. will let you know x

Mogwog
22-03-11, 11:39
Mine is still the same:mad:

I am really down about it today:weep:

Laura.xxxxxxxxxx

Greenman50
22-03-11, 17:41
Hi Laura
Replied to your pm :D

Still the same and pissed off with it now . Just looking on here has made my throat tight . Trouble is i,ve forgoten what normal is now .

Have you tried this quick fix for the globus ? sorry if i,ve posted it before ....

http://www.panic-anxiety.com/articles/globus-hystericus/

Greenman50
22-03-11, 17:57
ok ...just eating something now , no lump feeling in my back (makes a change) its now the back of my throat .The only thing that stops me freaking out is the fact the feeling moves about .

Mogwog
23-03-11, 17:22
Ah Mel mine moves about too!!!! Its weird. I kind of feel reassured that it moves if that makes sense. Going to dr next week for a med review so will speak to her about it. Stupid horrible feeling:mad:

Replied to your PM.X

jaynemarie
24-03-11, 10:56
Well i went to docs about it again. She say the pain in chest and between shoulder blades is all anxiety related. Changed my meds and waiting to start cbt in a couple of weeks. Bloody nightmare. How are you all doing any improvement ? x

oldtime
24-03-11, 11:22
Mel, sorry to hear your getting all this bother. I definitely suffered from a tightness in my throat / neck and trouble swallowing when my anxiety was bad. The esophagus is a muscular tube, I recon it is spasming / contracting and that is feeling like a lump. eg. when I had this if I swallowed the muscles were not coordinating when pushing down the food properly and squeezing at the wrong time. I found not eating dry food and drinking a glass of water with my meals helped. It will probably go by itself in time.

Greenman50
24-03-11, 16:17
Mel, sorry to hear your getting all this bother. I definitely suffered from a tightness in my throat / neck and trouble swallowing when my anxiety was bad. The esophagus is a muscular tube, I recon it is spasming / contracting and that is feeling like a lump. eg. when I had this if I swallowed the muscles were not coordinating when pushing down the food properly and squeezing at the wrong time. I found not eating dry food and drinking a glass of water with my meals helped. It will probably go by itself in time.

Thanks for the reasurance , i appreciate it . My dr said something similiar and i do get alot of stomach spasms aswell . I was stressing about it again the last few days , but the careing people on hear have put my mind at rest again . I,m just going to ignore it now untill i,m at the DR,S again in 3 weeks time .

x

emmawalton
24-03-11, 16:55
hi i get that feeling in the back of my throat too, was told it was all to do with my anxiety, i just want to not feel anxious and worry something wrong with me all the time.

Greenman50
12-04-11, 00:36
Hi all

Just thought i would update this .

The last 2 weeks it has slowly got better , dare i say its virtually gone !

Also my stomach burning (over acid production) has settled right down , so i,m not sure if it was all caused by anxiety , indigestion , excess acid or all three ??

jaynemarie
12-04-11, 21:20
Thats good to hear Mel, give me a bit of a hope x

Greenman50
13-04-11, 19:01
Its taken months and months and its still not perfect today :blush:, but 100 % better than it was . I,ve just cut down on my lansoprazle to 15 mg today from 30 mg , got that burning feeling in my stomach at 3 pm this afternoon which seemed to give me the lump in the throat feeling again .
Stomachs been fine for a month aswell . I,m going back on 30 mg tommorow i,m not risking going back to how i was last November .

Hope yours goes soon hun

Take care xx

jaynemarie
13-04-11, 20:59
I would better to do that than to go down hill. I know people that have takenthem for years. Let me know how your doing x

Greenman50
18-04-11, 01:11
Thanks Jayne :D Hope your feeling better soon :bighug1:

My swallowing problem or whatever it was (so confuseing ? ) has now gone away its such a relief as i thought it never would and as i look back now i was stressing about it and thinking of it 24/7 and this is why it didn,t improve just like my DR said . I must stress that if you are reading this from finding it on the search feature (reason for the update) don,t think its all bad ...but you must get checked by the DR for peace of mind as this is the start of the getting over this process imho .
Many thanks to all who helped me via replies and pm,s i REALLY apprecaited it :yesyes:

Still got a bad stomach but i know what this is and it will go again with the meds and watching my diet .

Thanks everyone :D

Greenman50
25-04-11, 15:19
Well it lasted a %$£**&% week and now its back . Along with Chronic ibs ,stomach gurgling like a good un , lump in throat and bloated ,can,t swallow feeling and turds like a Mr whippy .

Dunnu why it must anxiety ??

Its not going to get me down its going to get ignored untill it goes away .

Sorry for the rant but i do love a good moan .

jaynemarie
30-04-11, 00:07
How you doing Mel ? My lump has gone, but wicked burning in throat. One bloody thing after another isnt it X

Greenman50
01-05-11, 09:12
Hi Jayne

Yea it seems to be one thing after another :blush:

Glad yours has gone , pity something else has replaced it at least it shows its nothing to worry about it must be all connected like my doctor said , stomach , gullet and throat and bowels !

Just got the lump in the throat feeling now .I,ve forgot what was once normal for me now .

Take care hope you feel 100% soon

:hugs:

Mogwog
11-07-11, 11:12
Just wanted to say that mine is alomost 100% better, I notice it only when Im really stressed, other than that I dont notice it at all but it has taken months to get better, but I just wanted to reassure those who are suffering with it, it will eventually go with time.

Hope you are ok Mel - how is yours?

Laura.xxxx

Greenman50
12-07-11, 20:15
Thats great news Laura :hugs::yesyes:

Mines nearly gone aswell , i forget about it most weeks so it musn,t be there , if i think about it i can make it come back by worrying ..lol..

jessicalittler79
12-07-11, 20:55
hi were abouts do u feel the lump feeling ,,ive had it for 1 year on and off and mine is felt down by my color bone :( its awfull ,,,take care hope u feel better soon

Worrychick
14-12-14, 23:21
Hi I am having this too and especially the throat clearing need and feeling u need to swallow all the time :( upped my PPI and going to ring dr but suspect anxiety throat causing acid :( let me know if you find anything to help xx

Mattyex4
19-12-14, 09:54
Me too

Can relate to these symptoms currenlty have neck tightness and the muscles ache more than usual if i hold my head in a various postions, adams apple feels super tight to the point where i almost gag.

Also stomach noises gurgling happening alot more last few weeks hate it makes me worry when lying in bed.

Burping pretty much all the time and feel bloated most of the day Health Anxiety at a high mainly worrying about my stomach which i know is making things much worse.

Upped my Omeprazole (had ulcers 2.5yrs ago) to 40mg 4 weeks ago but not making much difference.

Finally getting CBT help for anxiey which i know i have battled for many years and also considering speakign to GP about a low dose course of meds to help.

Waiting for endoscopy date to come through which is both scary and will hopefully alleviate a few stomach worries.

How amazing would it be to feel slightly more normal if there is such a thing

trevor99
08-01-15, 19:39
Hey !! I had the exacttttttt same thing my friend, to a tee! Lump is in the lower throat and its pressure on your chest on your breast bone, upper back pain almost inbetween the shoulder blades and im guessing you have had some breathing pproblems as well?? Anyways!! I went to the doctor about 7 days ago cause I thought I needed to and he thinks that I have an acid problem or an ulcer and gave me TECTA 40MG for a month and it honestly has made the biggest difference. Please listen to me and go see your doctor and ask him for this. Also when you are on it and hopefully it makes the symptoms go away, book an endoscopy test so that they can see If there is damage or if this was just a one time thing. Breath you will figure this out!