PDA

View Full Version : hello, let me introduce myself

lisah2003
15-08-03, 12:27
Hiya, my name is lisa, i am 25. Last sept i was prescribed dothiepin for depression and anxiety. It made me sleep at least 18 hours out of 24 everyday for 3-4 months. I worked part time and only managed to scrape myself out of bed for my 4 hour shift 4 times a week. Things got better eventually and i didnt sleep so much, although my social life was in tatters because i couldn't drink alcohol and basically thats what my hobby was and thats how my friends and i spend time together mostly. I resented the fact that i couldn't go out, i didnt see my friends, i broke up with my boyfriend and i decided i had to get off the dothiepin to live a normal life again. After much convincing, the doctor decreased my doses and i finished the pills in june 2003. At last, i could go out and enjoy myself again. Funny thing was i tryed ignoring the signs that the anxiety and depression was rearing its ugly head - again. So here i am, I have been back to the doctor, he prescribed me citalopram yesterday, he gave me a note to be off work for 2 weeks, although it maybe longer. I haven't taken a pilll yet, just doing abit of research. I wonder what this drug will have in store for me.:)
Thanks for listening.

Joanne
15-08-03, 13:48
Hi Lisa,
Welcome!
I hope the pills work for you- and you can still have a good social life. :-)
I don't know much about meds- but i'm sure someone here will be able to tell you more.
Pop into the chat room sometime and say hello. We're a friendly bunch!

Joanne x

sarah
15-08-03, 20:12
Hi Lisa
Im now on citalopram after trying prozac and lustral ( which didnt really help me). I used to be afraid to leave my house and had about 5 panic attacks a day and now since ive been on the citalopram (for about 2 months) the effects its had on me have been brilliant! They dont work the same for everyone but my experience of it has been great.
I now go out a lot more to restaurants, cinema and shops etc which i would never have dreamed of doing before and i havent had a panic attack for about 2 weeks. (touch wood).
If you do try them i hope they give you as much help as they did me!!!1
Sarah
xx

Meg
15-08-03, 22:28
Hi Lisa,

It's one of the SSRI's family . The others are (Paroxetine/Paxil, Sertraline/Zoloft, Fluvoxamine/Luvox, Fluoxetine/Prozac, Venlafaxine/Effexor).

Much fewer side effects than dothiepin .

I would however urge you to spend some time on yourself - why you got anxiety / depression to start with - and try to resolve those issues whilst you feel well on your SSRI.

Take care

smudga
18-08-03, 07:05
Howdy Lisah, I take citalopram which is also known as Cipramil. (I'm pretty sure that's right) I have continued to improve whilst taking this medication. As Sarah said though, everyone reacts differently to medicines. You'll need to give it some time to settle in. Later.