PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana

loopy_lou
03-04-06, 10:00
I have been getting panic attacks for nearly 2 years, but have felt depression on and off since I was 14. The depression is with me alot of the time, but i have had people say i ws bound to get it because there are numerous people in my family who suffer from depression and anxiety disorders. I really want to get better and get my head sorted, but can i do this while smoking weed everyday? Having a joint helps me in the short term, makes me relaxed chill out ect when i am feeling tense and panicky, but in the long run im not sure. I started smoking after I developed panic attacks so I no that weed wasn't the cause of them, its just a viscious cycle :( I just feel like my life is nothing im not living, just feel like im surviving most of the time.

Any advise would be much appriciated thank you xxxxxx

Karen
03-04-06, 10:21
Hi

Smoking marijuana certainly won't help, even if it feels like it does at first. I think you could consider other ways of coping with the anxiety which are likely to be more helpful. A lot of people seem to experience panic/anxiety and depression as a result of drugs, or which is exacerbated by the use of drugs.

pls dnt judge.but did taking drugs contribute?? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2426)
Screwed myself up using drugs (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5333)
advice on mixing citalopram and ecstasy (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4824)

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

W.I.F.T.S.
03-04-06, 10:26
i agree with karen, Weed is a well known depressant and is linked to depression. I had my first full-blown panic attack while I was smoking dope and it was probably the worst experience of my life. Knock it in the head. I'll never touch drugs again.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

loopy_lou
03-04-06, 10:56
I no people reading this will proberly judge me and things, but i am really trying to get better. There has been events in my life which I couldnt cope with and having a joint was a way out, the same as maybe eating 20 bags of crisps, or having a bottle of whisky calms some peoples nerves. The only thing is i dont want to start taking proper medication for my panic attacks and depression, because I think i have an addictive personality and dont want to risk getting addicted to anything else. I'm really not a bad person, i love animals and try and help our environment as much as i can, I realise I can't change the past and whats done is done, I think i just need something else to take my mind off of it. Thank you all so much xxxx

EebyJeeby
03-04-06, 11:19
Hi Lou,

Don't worry, nobody on here will judge you or question your will to get better. You're here aren't you? That means you are seeking support to get to where you want to be.

I know what you mean about the dope. I was a smoker for over 20 years and funnily enough, I have the opposite problem. I got ill once I gave up (last year). How crazy is that!

All I know is that some of the panic symptoms I have had since being ill are similar to feelings I used to have when a bit wrecked - you know, slight paranoia, agoraphobia and general lack of wanting to engage with life.

Now I've thought long and hard about whether all my symptoms would disappear if I started on the dope again but in reality, I think I used it (very effectively, for years) as the only way I knew to relax. Therefore it was my emotional crutch. When I stopped, I crashed at the first big stress occasion.

I have had a little go since, but I don't think it helped at all and I felt more anxious the next day. I don't drink alcohol at all and have always had no problem with the concept of dope smoking. However, I think that if you suffer from anxiety or depression now, it is not wise to start something which only helps short-term and might actually become another issue to contend with later. You need less issues not more!

Take the advised route for treatment and try not to fall back on the weed. I'm having counselling and have thus far refused antidepressants (was too scared to take them), but I have faith that the combination of these 2 things, plus a general holistic view of looking after my whole self better, will work in the end.

I am improving and so will you.

Eeb x

loopy_lou
03-04-06, 11:53
Thanks for being so understanding Eeb, I was a bit scared of telling people that I smoked because people have different opinions and views dont they. I think you are exactly right about if you have depression and anxiety, its not a good idea to get involved with drugs, i dont think it matters whether they are hard drugs or soft. The only problem is with me, i like weed There are times when i think " i no this isn't helping me so why do it?" but then i think " o well what else is there to do"! I no thats not a good way to think at all, life just seems so boring! The other thing Eeb, my boyfriend smokes to and we live together and i no he doesnt want to stop because it doesn't effect him mentally, but i have talked to him about me stopping and he said if he wants one he will go outside. He said he wants me to stop aswell so i have got his support. Im just not sure if i am ready and can cope? I think i am going to take one day at a time, and today I have made a doctors appointment so hopefully this will be a step in the right direction! Thanks again Eeb, I hope we can both get better :) Love lou xx

EebyJeeby
03-04-06, 12:20
Lou, that's the spirit! Your fella sounds great - how sweet of him to say that he'll go outside for a puff, so that it will make things easier for you. Fair play to him.

I know what you mean about liking the weed - I like it too but like a lot of things, it's not that good for you ultimately. I have found that I smoke many more ciggies than I ever did joints but I'm tackling that gradually with the help of my understanding boyfriend (who has just given up the ciggies himself).

I like the holistic view and am now trying to follow my gut feeling on everything in life and recognise what is good and bad for me, both physically and (perhaps more importantly) emotionally. I totally believe in this approach, especially the emotional part, as I have learnt that our state of mind and our thoughts have a huge effect on our physical wellbeing. You say you get bored. You and I both know deep down that there's no reason to be bored and that you can CHOOSE to do whatever you want to fill your time!

Well done for making an appointment. You can explain everything to the doc and they will start you on the road to recovery.

Keep us posted!

Eeb x

Keitharcher
03-04-06, 19:55
Hi Lou

First can i say you are here looking for support nit judgemnet, we are here to help if we can we have all been through ar going through similar symptons to yourself. Secondly can i say that drugs are a dressantm short term buz long time downer meaning you have to take more and more that way becomes expensive and couses more depression and other health problem as well as social problems for the user. Therefore drugs are a non starter if you want to get well. I suggest you see the doc and explain to him everything even down to the drug taking he is best equiped to help you out. I hope you find your way soon

Keith

andrew england 2
04-04-06, 12:16
i do understand why u smoke lou, i dont smoke weed but i did drink for a long time for the same reason u smoke to get away from reality, no advice, but i do understand why u do.

feege
04-04-06, 14:37
I hope no-one will be judgmental here!!! Fortunately everyone here seems to be incredibly and exceptionally supportive and it is very diverse!

I too have smoked in the past, amongst other things. The worst thing I ever did was speed which I suspect contributed to my anxiety and panic attacks although I stopped over 20 years ago...

I have the opposite problem. I would love to have a drink or a smoke and chill out but both alcohol and dope now cause anxiety... dope now does it to me immediately, alcohol is fine if I have a couple of drinks with friends at the time, but then in the night I suffer for it both in terms of anxiety, but now it upsets my tummy too! Both alcohol and dope are undoubtedly major causes of depression, paranoia, lethargy, negativity, social isolation etc etc...

Yes it is boring sometimes without these sort of escapes, but I agree with Eebs - a holistic approach to your body and life is the best way forward. I think as a culture from my age downwards we have somewhat lost the ability to feel joy, excitement, enthusiasm and even creativity etc without the aid of stimulants, either drink, drugs, spending money or all sorts of 'deviant' behaviour lol!!!

Don't wait till you're my age to work out that there are better ways of living and enjoying life:D:D:D

good luck hun xxxxxxxxxxxx

Fee xxxxxx
www.like2like.com

Why live life anticipating the bad things when you could be anticipating the good?
Good and bad things WILL happen!