PDA

View Full Version : Nausea - h pylori?

Catalyst
26-02-11, 12:25
I feel really nauseous daily at the moment.

I seem to burp a lot too, which is something I've never really done in the past (apart from during pregnancy!) I'm definitely not pregnant this time. I went to the doctor last week because I've been suffering with heartburn & sporadic diarrhoea for a few weeks. She referred me for a blood test for h pylori. Well, I went & had that on thursday, only to be told on friday that they had done a full blood count but NOT tested for h pylori! Apparently there was some confusion over the testing method & I need to do a stool sample instead! (Would have been nice to know that BEFORE the nurse butchered my arm, leaving a 1cm scratch & lovely bruise!) So I can't give a sample till monday & I'll have to wait longer for the results. In the meantime, my heartburn is not too bad, but this sickness feeling has suddenly presented and is getting me down.

I'm trying not to allow other sinister thoughts about other illnesses to creep in.... just wondered if anyone who has had helicobachter pylori could enlighten me on the symptoms they experienced? My brother in law had vomiting and bad stomach pains. I haven't been physically sick & I don't really have bad pain in my tummy, but the doctor knew that... so I guess it can be present without those things?

Greenman50
26-02-11, 13:06
Hi
Nausea can be part and parcel of Acid stomach / gerd without h pylori .

My Doctor gave me domperidone (anti sickness meds ) as well as ant acids after i was negative for h p via a stool sample . I didn,t feel sick with it but they gave them to me to move food through my systym faster .

I,m sure the nausea is normal for some without the h pylori . I burped constant with an acid stomach and still burp more than normal on the meds

Greenman50
26-02-11, 13:09
Was the full blood count ok ?

citytoxic
26-02-11, 13:18
I have had bouts of nausea for the last 3 or so years. I'll just be walking along and WHAM, nauseated. Then the nausea will last for months on end, then it will just disappear. It sucks. I'd rather be punched in the face every morning than walk around feeling nauseated.

My doctors all assumed I had an ulcer. I was tested for h-pylori, which causes ulcers, and of course it came back negative. That would have been the simple solution! I was told that you can just be nauseous when you have h-pylori. Some people will have no symptoms at all. In the end, my GI doctor seemed to believe I have IBS.

I know how you feel. I thought I had every single horrible thing under the sun.

Keep us posted.

Catalyst
26-02-11, 13:21
Thanks - yes it was, but I didn't need it! I had one last year which was all fine so I already knew that! This was meant to just be a blood test for h pylori, but the nurse got it wrong! When I phoned for results, the reception said "patient can be told all is fine." So I asked if that meant I didn't have h pylori & she went very quiet. Came back to me a moment later & said "it seems you weren't tested for that"! :wacko:

Greenman50
26-02-11, 13:31
Hi

Its great that the fbc has come back fine even though you didn,t need it !

I would take great comfort from that .....that shows nothing sinister is going on according to my doctor :yesyes:

So if the HP test comes back clear you just have over acid stomach easly treated with meds . H pylori is easly treated from what my doc said when he tested for it , its embarrasing takeing the sample in :blush:, i new i should have put it in a paper bag instead of a clear one the waiting room was full !

I had diarera with my acid stomach aswell , the acid can also kick off ibs aswell and my stools were clay coloured (so to be so graphic) but it was all connected

Catalyst
26-02-11, 13:38
Haha! Good tip! Yeah, I'm not looking forward to doing that much :blush:

You're right, I should focus on the positive side to my blood test error! It is reassuring to know all is well with that still.

I suspect my result will come back negative - they always do!