PDA

View Full Version : Is this a common fear??

jen2503
26-02-11, 14:44
Since my anxiety began i have been afraid and nervous of going on holiday, i dont mean going on a plane as such, i just mean going on holiday, in the car, on a plane, anywhere, im scared that something may happen to my hubby while we are on holiday and i will be left alone with my kids in a strange place unable to get home!

My hubby wants us to plan our next holiday but i keep making excuses to put it off. i want to go on holiday, i rally do, but im just worried about soething out of my control happening while we're there!

Will this worry ever go away?!

jen2503
26-02-11, 15:31
Anyone??

Also does anyone else ever feel weird when they dont feel anxious? like theres something wrong because your not anxious?! i know that sounds mad, but im having a non anxioous day today but i feel anxious now that im not anxious if that makes sense!!

Im going mad arent i lol

lizzie29
26-02-11, 15:35
I find being away on holiday hard, because I'm away from my "safe" place. I'm better if there are more than one person I'm with, because I also think like you - if something happens to the one person I'm with then I'll be alone.

The reality though is that it's very unlikely to happen. Maybe you could go somewhere in Britain to start with so you know getting home would be easier. Once you've done that and nothing bad happened, then you could try further afield. Unfortunately, as is the case with anxiety, the best way for it to get easier is to do it.

And no, you're not going mad! I've too had the realisation that I'm not anxious and that's made me anxious!

Martin Burridge
26-02-11, 16:57
These kind of irrational thoughts are common in phobias and anxiety disorders. It is the avoidance that gives them power. If you dont go on holiday the fear will get worse, thats how phobias work. They feed on avoidance and safety behaviours.

I wouldn't worry about whether it is common. There are millions of phobias and anxiety disorders. Anything that we have a negative thought about can develop into a phobia if we start to act on it.

I treat people for phobias and anxiety disorders and no two clients are the same. For examples one persons flying phobia may be different to anothers.

If the fear is too severe to go on holiday then find a therapist in your area. Just a few sessions of hypnotherapy or CBT is enough for many simple phobias.

Heres some links to find therapists in your area. Im listed in the GHR register for Wales

http://www.general-hypnotherapy-register.com/

http://cbtregisteruk.com/