PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety or panic attacks

smile5
26-02-11, 20:22
I wonder if anyone can help me. Ive suffered with mental health problems for a number of years. Late last year I went through a period where when I left the home (eg walking to work) and when I was at work I would panic, my breathing would get out of rythm, I would feel sick (not uneasy stomach) more through panic from the throat (worst thing Ive a bad phobia of being sick). That time last year, it would happen for atleast 3 hours of a 4 hour shift. I would panic for no reason (I wasnt worried about anything), I would feel sick and then take deep breaths when possible to calm me down. I would feel better, but within 30 secs it would start all over again and this would continue. Eventually it went away.

Ive been on some medication for about 5-6 years and this week I started to reduce it (its not a physically addictive medication), well there were times in the week I felt anxious, but it passed within a few minutes.

Well first day back at work today after holiday and the panic hit once again, I felt so anxious, felt sick, my breathing wasnt write. I was doing my best to take deep breaths whilst serving customers. At times I just wanted to get off the till. Ive been at the company for over a year and dont feel anxious being there or anything. When I got home I felt so worn out and uptight.

I so want to come off my medication (I feel more alert and can sleep naturally without being sedated), but I cant cope with feeling like this when at work or out walking. I literally dont know what Im so scared or anxious about.

Another thing Ive noticed is that when I panic like at work or walking down the street I find I cant stop yawning. You should see me on the till, the customers could easily make a complaint about me, but no one realises when Im yawning it seems to help control my breathing and calm me if that makes sense.

Can anyone advise me on whether this sounds like a panic or anxiety attack. Also what types of medication can help, I dont want anything addictive nor anything that has a sedative effect and needs to be taken before bed.

Thanks

jenbo50
27-02-11, 18:31
Sounds like anxiety to me! That's exactly how I am on a daily basis. Anything sets it off outside the house. I had CBT which has helped loads but I have also just started some medication. Citralopram. It's too early to tell you how effective I am finding it but am hopeful :-) xxx

smile5
27-02-11, 18:39
Thanks for the reply. Last night I ended up taking my usual dose of meds and have noticed a difference today, will see what happens when I have work tomorrow. Im thinking of seeing my GP and discussing what options are open to me. It just seems that I cannot cope with some medication in me that controls the anxiety to a degree where I manage. I just wish I could be medication free, but this doesnt look likely. Ive been on citalopram before for depression, but think I was only on it for 6 months max. Good luck with it though I hope it helps you.