PDA

View Full Version : Pre-requisites for hypnotherapy

aquarian
27-02-11, 22:49
I've read a number of articles on hypnotherapy, but I'm still not clear on whether it's likely to help me. I'd be grateful for any informed views.

I understand that hypnotherapy can be effective when there's a specific goal in mind -- for example, stopping smoking, losing weight, overcoming anxiety in a particular situation.

In my situation, I think it's much less straightforward to define a precise target. I've been experiencing anxiety and panic attacks for the last 2-3 years. The main trigger has been worries about problems with the computer technology that I rely upon for my work. I've been searching for practical ways to address this but, short of moving right away from my current line of work, I don't see any realistic options. Over the last 3-4 months, I've been experiencing low/despairing moods, lethargy and lack of confidence. I feel as if I'm trapped in a technology-driven nightmare that's impossible for me to explain adequately -- even to myself.

It isn't clear to me which aspects of my situation might be best addressed by hypnotherapy, and what results I could reasonably expect. If anyone is able to enlighten me, then I'll be most grateful.

Many thanks!

-- aquarian

tiddleypom
22-01-12, 11:22
I think that you do actually have a clear target and that is to learn to cope with stress and put a stop to your panic attacks. It's common for all of us with anxiety disorders to feel as though it's more complicated than just a simple anxiety issue and that unless x, y or z changes, we'll never be better. That's actually one of the symptoms.

For example, I hate living where I do. It's not a great neighbourhood, everything feels ugly and there's lots of couples fighting on the street, drug addicts, ugly buildings. I was convinced for a long time that no matter what therapy I tried, unless I could magically come across enough money to move away to a nicer place, I'd never be ok. But then I had one of those "lightbulb over the head" moments when I realised that lots of people don't like where they live, but they don't have panic attacks because of it. What I need to learn is to deal with stress more effectively, wherever I live.

I think the same would apply to your job. Lots of people find their jobs stressful. The trick is to not allow that stress to take over your life.

I've got an appointment to see a hypnotherapist tomorrow for the first time. Part of me is excited about a potential cure, part of me thinks there's no way it'll work, because like you, my situation feels too complicated. But it's worth a shot, right?

I'll message you tomorrow after I've been and can tell you more about the process and whether or not it helped.

In the meantime, please try not to feel like your issues are beyond help or too complicated. They're not. I promise. :)

aquarian
29-01-12, 21:29
Many thanks for your reply (which I've only just read!) and the helpful thoughts within it.

You're absolutely right about my tendency to want *everything* to be fixed before I can start to feel better, which obviously is unrealistic and just piles on more anxiety. As you say, this isn't logical as there are plenty of people who have problems, but not all of them also have anxiety issues. Perhaps that realisation can be a key to recovery.

So far, I've tended to look at the "other people" question from the opposite direction -- asking myself repeatedly how "normal" people are able to deal with the same sorts of problems (or, indeed, far worse ones) without flying apart. I don't have an answer to that, except to conclude that they're superior to me in some way (or, at least, better adjusted), which isn't very helpful.

I'll give hypnotherapy some further consideration, especially if I can find a way of framing the useful thought that you've offered me above.

Many thanks!

-- aquarian