PDA

View Full Version : Top Relaxation Tips

W.I.F.T.S.
03-04-06, 13:11
What are your top relaxation tips?

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Karen
03-04-06, 13:56
Hypnotherapy for me.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

tommie
04-04-06, 15:16
Watching Tai chi is relaxing, performing made me worse.

sillymoo
05-04-06, 12:40
must admit some loud dance music and a boogie works for me!!!!!!!!!

Basha
06-04-06, 21:27
Massage is amazing... feels like your whole body is sinking into the bed..arms, legs, heavy etc. Most wonderful feeling!!

"To do anything in this world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger; but jump in, and scramble through as well as we can."
-Sydney Smith

florence
06-04-06, 23:18
Couldnt vote, only one pick is allowed....so i'll tell you here:
Massage for those tense muscles..
Hobbies: doing what you like, helps you forget ( for a little while ) about your own miseries.
Music: uplifting, motivating... its great !
And of course animals that I love, I could sit all day watching squirrels on my balcony.

Florence.

*** Worry gives a small thing a big shadow.***

Jenny
14-04-06, 10:39
I have an Indian Head massage every 2 weeks. It is very relaxing. She has told me that my shoulders are very tense at the moment, but they are getting better. The aroma of the oils she uses is soothing. I could drop off to sleep quite easy.

Other times I put on a CD that makes me smile, anything up-beat that makes you feel like dancing. I miss the Salsa dance classes. The course has finished now. Hope they do another one.

Best wishes everyone
Jenny xxx

Rennie1989
16-04-06, 23:41
Music tends to help, especially Last Ride In by Green Day.

If anyone has MSN and I can send it to you :)

Scooties Back

Freaky Chick
02-03-07, 09:35
I have to say, it's a massage! and bonus, you grow taller! cos when your muscles are all tight you loose a little height!
Ok so not a huge leap in height, but when your feeling down - anything gained is good!!

I also do exercise at the gym, as it helps too.

I like sunny days too they really cheer me up!

Freaky chick

Piglet
02-03-07, 11:11
Deffo yoga for me :D

Piglet xx

domino
02-03-07, 18:24
It has to be yoga,you cannot beat it,:D

carldourish
02-03-07, 19:28
Self-hypnosis for me.........

Carl

Quirky
02-03-07, 23:06
I voted animals

Lisa

Piglet
03-03-07, 13:15
Yoga for me too!!

Piglet :flowers:

jo61
03-03-07, 16:11
I found it hard to choose as I do lots of them and not sure which works best, probably a combination

matt1981
04-03-07, 13:07
relaxation CDs do it for me.

Matt

jude uk
06-03-07, 14:23
praising God can be relaxing

Melxxx
09-03-07, 15:33
I love my animals having them snuggle up to me always cheers me up but I voted for music it really helps if I'm having a off day.

Here are some of my favourite music quotes.

Berthold Auerbach:

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

Aldous Huxley:

"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Martin Luther:

"I have no pleasure in any man who despises music. It is no invention of ours: it is a gift of God. I place it next to theology. Satan hates music: he knows how it drives the evil spirit out of us."

Hope you like them

Love

Mel

groovygranny
30-03-07, 12:37
It's Belly Dancing for granny!

No honestly, I feel very relaxed and invigourated after my class or when I practice at home ! :)

happyone
30-03-07, 21:45
I couldn't tick two, but I like to do a home meditation/relaxation cd.
However, the most relaxing thing by far has to be a crisp, but bright winters day, where everything looks sharp and smells clean.
Hippy....I mean happyone!!
xx

KOKO23CAT
19-04-07, 13:07
I chose aromatherapy.

The oils known to be helpful with anxiety are:

frankinsence-used to regulate breathing
bergamot-top anxiety queller!
neroli-as before
geranium-helps regulate adrenelin
lavender-you all know that one
roman chamomile- sedative
clary sage- sedative
mandarin-cheering
rosmary-invigorating

hope this helps

neptuno
21-04-07, 19:24
Hello !
EFT for me every time - it should be available on the NHS

Piglet
25-05-07, 17:44
I am going to add this thread to the 'NMP pamphlet' thread also!

Piglet :flowers:

mirry
25-05-07, 19:38
Getting myself a dog, somedays when I feel really low I notise her looking up to me with her big brown eyes, loyal and caring, you just cant beat it !

happyone
25-05-07, 20:35
One that is not in the poll, but would help me relax right now, is
A BABYSITTER!!!!!!
Anyone offering?

Happyone
xx
(I love them really!)

vernon
25-07-07, 12:22
Keeping bussy in garden, Painting anything then you get so tired you sleep well. Reiki is good but not on the list.

Fall Out Boy
26-07-07, 08:52
I voted for music. It calms me down alot

Carol_dearest
27-07-07, 05:30
Dogs. I got my first boxer dog when withdrawing from 23 year diazepam addiction. Having a bouncing wriggly puppy jumping on my bed then falling asleep with ryhmic breathing, soon regulated my breathing. The long evening walks cleared my head and helped me relax. 2 years later I bought another and the joy of watching them play together was endless. Stroking a pet can be so relaxing. For anyone who cannot cope with a dog, I recommend a cat. To hear a contented cat purr as it sits on your lap and it's long gentle breaths will soon help you relax.

SAMKIRMAN
06-09-07, 16:31
i go fishing its so relaxing

Granny Primark
12-11-07, 20:16
I love to go to the nature reserve down the road from where I live and feed the ducks.
Also me and me hubby have got a special place we go to called Mow Cop. Theres a layby there and you can see 4 counties from there and even see the planes taking off and landing at Manchester airport.
What a saddo ive turned into! 5 years ago my idea of chilling would have been to go out and sing on karaoke!

Take care
LYNN xx

lesleya
02-01-08, 19:37
Who can feel sad with a gorgeous pair of deep brown velvety puppy eyes staring up at you..would melt anyones heart, so soft to cuddle up too and loves you unconditionally, always pleased to see you no matter what.

efc2411
28-01-08, 10:43
exercise, since I started about 3 weeks ago I havent had much anxiety and Im starting to push myself again

hazey-babe
18-04-08, 21:05
My thing is making cards and crafty things. i just loose myself in the glitter and glue!!!!!! Something pretty comes out of it too.:yesyes: Also some folk buy them from me so thats a bonus!!!!

Love Hazel xox

Richie
18-04-08, 23:58
Yeah Hazey babe me too xxx
Also meditation and hynotherapy tapes and losing myself in a book with a really exciting plot.
Luv Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jagcat
19-04-08, 22:45
must admit some loud dance music and a boogie works for me!!!!!!!!!

I agree, just fitted an MP3 player to the audio unit in the van (excellent)
Loud Dance and Trance totally agree.

Ellkie
23-04-08, 01:00
Well apart from few things mentioned I found growing herbs:) very relaxing task:) Seeding them then looking after them, something to look forward each day:) Also seeing them growing is very cheerful for me:) This year I also seeded tomatoes and strawberries. They grow beatifully on my window:)

Cathy V
27-05-08, 11:20
For me at the moment its my music...Marvin's 'lets get it on' is a fave and i just close my eyes and schmooze slowly around the room (is schmooze a word?) or for something a little more up beat i like 'Brown Eyed Girl' by Van Morrisson. I can dance all 80's and no-one can see me!

I went for a massage for the first time a few months ago, coz they're into all this 'wellness' m'larky in germany and my bloke booked me in for a few sessions, but instad of lying down in a small scent-filled, dimly-lit room with soft music playing as i'd been expecting, i found myself in a fitness room surrounded by medicine balls and various sports aparatus, and a physio' pummelling my poor muscles into submission! I get a nervous twitch just thinking about it :scared15: lol!

Cathy xxx :D

jesse08
11-07-08, 07:16
Great List but I have to say smoking calms me down especially when I have had a panic attack. A more healthy option for me is a 10 min relaxation tape where I focus on my muscles- tighten and then relax them. Sometimes though I am too wound up and panciky to listen to it!!!

The Fool
13-07-08, 14:38
umm well i tend just to listen to music it help me alot i dont no why it just does

titchjd
14-08-08, 20:45
I put massage as Its somethingI would love 2 have again I havent had 1 for years but remember how much I enjoyed it but I also listen 2 music constantly ...I find it very relaxing and takes my mind of things when Im singing at the top of my voice lol x

anyaaa
30-08-08, 21:31
Exercise for me! I always do a little stretching and kicking if I start to feel nervous when I'm at home. I only wish I could do that when I'm out xD

nickieb
27-09-08, 17:12
Music for me too.

The louder & more mad the better. Nothing makes you more relaxed than having a sing & boogie with pals i think!

Dazza
27-09-08, 19:17
For me, listening to ambient music... my favourite artists in this genre are:

Robert Rich http://robertrich.com/

and

Steve Roach http://www.steveroach.com (especially his 'atmospheric space' music. I use this while meditating. It really helps me to escape for a while, and it allows me to get my brain into it's 'alpha waves' state, where you feel really relaxed and your worries seem far away).

Tip, if you like his stuff, then if you are in the UK you can get some of his longer relaxing tracks, like the one called 'Immersion' for only 79p per 73 minute track! Go to Tescodigital.com

Missy69
06-10-08, 08:26
Listening to relaxation on my MP3 , works a treat .

Sophie85
10-12-08, 08:59
definitely massage. if u can find someone who can give a good one for you!

EmmaJane
04-01-09, 19:54
CDs and Hypnotherapy for me

armanoo
04-01-09, 20:49
thanx for the poll :shades: :yesyes:

i would choose animals !:hugs: :hugs:

since i'm not big fan of "humans" and have social anxiety ,, so i would rather stay with my cat than any other people.

eternally optimistic
14-01-09, 19:07
Hi

I might have posted on this one a long time ago.

But having had a yoga class today with a great fun teacher, mine has to be yoga followed by a good walk with my MP3.

J

Budgie
17-01-09, 20:28
I like listening to music. I also play guitar/bass and I find it theraputic when I get lost in playing songs :yesyes:

I've just started learning how to sketch, and I think that will be helpful too :)

sunshine-lady
04-02-09, 13:12
My dogs are great therapy, they keep me half sane too!