PDA

View Full Version : Pnigophobia - a fear of being smothered

stimpy
21-03-04, 03:53
[xx(] At the moment I am suffering with the dreaded cold.
For some reason this has really set me on edge.
I don't know if it's the fear of it turning to bronchitis again, and that is what is worrying me . Or the fear of not being able to breathe at all full stop.

There are only so many decongestants you can take in one day, and they only work for 4 hours at a time.
When they wear off, I seem to find myself trying to breathe through my nose, and then when I can't, I start panting for breath, and becoming afraid because of it.
Which is really silly as I have a mouth that is perfectly able to collect air, so it shouldn't really matter if my nose is blocked or not. It is not like I am being totally smothered [:I]

I use enough vaseline to sink a battleship. So I know I won't look like rudolph, and my lips won't dry out and feel all funny the next morning. (Should I breathe through my mouth while I'm asleep.)
My pillows and nightwear get a good sprinkle of Eucalyptus and Rosemary oils. - So I get a good minty inhale while I'm asleep.

Does anyone else suffer with this fear of being smothered while suffering with a cold or blocked up nose?
Is it normal or am I just my usual eccentric self ?

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

twister
21-03-04, 23:42
Hi Liz

I worry about not being able to breathe even when i dont have a cold. Many a time I have sat and contemplated what would happen if I was kidnapped and my mouth was taped but my nose was blocked - lol the things we worry about!

When it happens, I just say to myself stop being stupid you can breathe and then try and do something else. Knowing that a lot of people get it makes it easier - as everyone else on here has survived!

Emily

kate
22-03-04, 09:32
Emily,

I too pondered on the kidnapping when the estate agent Stephanie Slater was taken just down the road from me.

It came out that she was kept in that horrible, small box for most of her ordeal and for ages I kept worrying about the same thing happening to me!

Could the not breathing and smothering worry be due to claustrophobia?

Just a thought....

Kate x

stimpy
22-03-04, 10:30
You know that is quite possible.
There is something claustrophobic about having a cold.
Not being able to breathe properly, being too hot and sweaty for most of the time.

I never thought of it like that.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

nomorepanic
22-03-04, 23:56
Liz - I am terrible when I get a cold - I start getting panicky cos I can't breathe too. Horrid feeling isn't it?

Em - me too - I sometimes hold my hand over my mouth to see if I could breathe if I was gagged.

What weird things we think of eh?

Nicola