PDA

View Full Version : Always anxious but a survivor

muscari
03-04-06, 17:02
Hi,

I have always been anxious. In 2002, I lost my strength and became extremly sensitive to anything and everything. I basically became open and overcome by anxiey, panic, depression, etc.

I was too afraid to go out incase I had a panic attack which I had several times a day initially. The first time I had a panic attack, I went to A&E. They did an ECG and checked my blood and said I must have had a virus and the symptoms of that caused my panic attack to come on. But I kept getting it.

The dr's put me on anti depressants but it did not go away. I started reading books and found out that anxiety is infact quiet common and normal. The Dr said to me you are either anxious or not, and those who are just need to learn how to manage it.

So I am managing. I have had to dip into my present and past and I started righting a journal. My journal has been my lifeline.

I see trends and patterns in my journal. I get panicy when I am sensitive, dieting, hormonal, stressed, upset about something, even reading the paper or watching the news.

For me, I have learned how amazing our body really is. for me, my body tells me when I am stressed, when I am hormonal when I am tiered and when I am feeling anxious. So when it happens, I indulge in relaxation, holiday, a good book, a bath or early night etc. but I don't medicate on a glass of wine, or choclate or anything like that when I am feeling in that way.

Life is so complex, for me, I try to make my home and life a little easier and not take on so much. I don't avoid things, but I do cut down on workload and take it easy when my world is difficult.

And a site like this makes me confident that I am normal. :D

Muscari

Alexandra
03-04-06, 17:12
Hi Muscari

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help & support on here.

Your in the right place for all the advice you could need.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

lisarose
03-04-06, 18:37
Hi Muscari, welcome to the forum, you will get lots of help and support here. Sounds like you have some good coping strategies.

Take care
Love Lisax

jackie
03-04-06, 20:36
glad to know you

hope we can make it better. hope you can give us your obvious knowledge

take care
jackie

Karen
03-04-06, 20:38
Hi Muscari

Welcome to the forum and well done for working out what works for you. Writing a journal is a very good tool.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=healthanxiety)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

skiteacher
03-04-06, 22:22
HI,
Thank you for your message, becuase it felt postive, you are doing things and managing, not suffering from, but living with (i hope that is true) and that is what I want to achieve, cos at the moment I don't feel like I am living - only surviving.
I have just made the step to calm my life down and get a life back so hopefully it will work. Finding friends is the next step.

muscari
04-04-06, 08:05
Hi Ski Teacher,

that is exactly how I felt for a few years, In December last year I had another panic attack and the fear of doom and gloom. I fell to the floor cying saying to myself when will it end. I just felt like next year I will learn to see things differently. When a panic happens instead of thinking oh no, blah blah blah, I will take a deep breath and think ok, but it will end in a minute. When it passes I get up and act like nothing has happened.
I ventured out to the Pyranees in Feb and went sledging with my son. The fresh air, the bright light and the fun did wonders. The fact that I got on a plane, drove up the pyranees with my family and went sledging made me realise I can do things. I did feel panic sensations but I just carrried on and they went.
Time, determination to reclaim my life and relisation that I suffer from anxiety and that I can control it slightly has really helped. This site has also confirmed that it happens to sooooo many people.
I lost a lot of my mates too which made my depression worse but now I have my family and a few friends and that is enough for me. one small step at a time.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">HI,
Thank you for your message, becuase it felt postive, you are doing things and managing, not suffering from, but living with (i hope that is true) and that is what I want to achieve, cos at the moment I don't feel like I am living - only surviving.
I have just made the step to calm my life down and get a life back so hopefully it will work. Finding friends is the next step.

<div align="right">Originally posted by skiteacher - 03 April 2006 : 23:22:32</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

trac67
04-04-06, 10:41
Hi Muscari,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

May Day
04-04-06, 13:06
Hi mascari

Welcome to the site ... you're doing really well if you're able to go on holiday like that so be pleased with yourself for your achievement ... small steps are the way forward and also to 'ride through' your panic attacks ... i have learned to do the same thing and it works well for me

take care

May

The brightest, sunniest day may follow the darkest, stormiest night ... enjoy the sun