PDA

View Full Version : Just going to start sertraline

kashameets
01-03-11, 00:34
I have just been given sertraline i have to start on 25mg for 4 days and then 50mg after.
Could anyone please tell me what side effects they had when first starting it? :)

Lizziesaurus
01-03-11, 00:40
The only side effects I ever had were lack of appetite, and that didn't come on straight away and was good for losing a few pounds. Although my doctor wasn't too impressed when I said I was eating a pasty and some chocolate everyday.
I also felt very sleepy on them, which also made me react slowly to things, and because I'm om earlies at work it was a complete nightmare. I didn't wake up properly until 2-3 hours into my shift and my brain felt very foggy.

Nothing awful though, in fact I'd have stayed on them had they have done me any good!

Lizzyg
01-03-11, 11:39
I started on Sertraline 16 days ago. Took we a week to take the first pill cause of previous bad experiences with other ADs.

First 3 days had nausea and no appetite but this went and only came back when I upped my dose to 50mg but only for 2 days.

I had internal tremors and increase anxiety and agitation for 2 weeks but this too has now gone.

I am now starting to feel the benefits my mind is so much clearer and I'm not worrying about anything! Doctor has told me I will feel the full effects in 2 more weeks.

I am tired on them but that is not a problem as havn't really slept since christmas and it is lovely to have a full nights sleep! I'm signed off work at the moment so not a problem and again the doctor told me that will pass.

Give it go it is not as bad as the some of the other AD's and side effects are bearable and do not last.

Good luck and keep us posted with how you get on!:flowers:

Patsta
01-03-11, 19:48
Sara, perserverence is the key to success with any meds. You may or may not feel like crap for the first week or so. I started taking them 24 days ago, and yes the first week was tough...fuzzy head, tiredness, increased anxiety, loss of appetite, insomnia, and agitation....but after these side effects subside, you will start to feel better! Try and keep active, both physically and mentally, and rest when you need to. On the scale of things, its only a short time to feel crap.
Check out Lizzyg and my posts in this forum...we both started taking sertraline within a week of each other and have helped each other through it. Keep us posted, and remember that we are here for you to, for any advice and support that you need! There is light at the end of the tunnel...just give it time to work!
Good luck, take care
Patty:hugs:

brainfogette
01-03-11, 21:24
Hi Sara,
I had lots of horrible headaches and felt exhausted for the first week or so, I just used to get in from work and go straight to bed, which in reality probably did me some good as I think I had been suffering from exhaustion as well! Once that wore off I then had trouble getting/staying asleep! Other than that fine until recently, I find they give me an upset tummy now so try to take them after I've had some breakfast. Takes a while for the effects to kick in, I went up to 100mg after a few months and feel pretty much ok now! Let us know how you get on x

lilly123
02-03-11, 13:59
Hi Sara
This is my second week on sertraline. I felt really tired all the time sleeping a lot and also no engery. I could not be bothered doing anything and felt numb. The anxiety was really bad too. Today I do feel a bit better and hopefully this is the start of me getting back to my normal self (finger crossed). So stick it out it can only get better.:yesyes: