PDA

View Full Version : maybe swallowed a piece of glass?

allergyphobia
01-03-11, 09:26
i chipped a glass this morning in the dishwasher, pulled it out and then put some drink in it not thinking and started to drink. the glass had two chips out of it, a bigger one and a smaller one.. i suddenly thought WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING and stopped using the glass, had a look in the dishwasher and found the larger chip, but couldn't see the smaller one.

i didn't feel anything going down but of course now my throat is playing tricks on me feeling scratchy. i'm worried i've scratched it or worse when i pass it the other end it's going to rupture something :weep:

i didn't drink to the bottom of the glass - and when i poured out the liquid there was nothing in it.. maybe the chip was too small to see at the bottom of the dishwasher or fallen down a crack, i had to come to work so didn't have time to look properly.

i just feel a bit worried about this guys.. x x x

london
01-03-11, 11:31
you would know if you swallowed it dont worry god bless

WillyB
01-03-11, 11:48
Yeah try not to worry, if you didnt drink to the bottom of the glass its pretty much impossible you swallowed it. You would also have felt it go down! But dont let your brain trick you into thinking you felt something ! Often happens to me.

allergyphobia
01-03-11, 16:28
but it might have just gone down in the middle of the liquid! guess i'm just worried about it coming out the other end... :blush:... trying not to be too paranoid though!

thank you x

sb001f8994
01-03-11, 17:01
Hiya,
I wouldnt worry at all. If the chip was big you'd have felt it in your mouth and even if you had swallowed it what we pass out the other end is much bigger than a chip so no worries there either. My mum swallowed her mums engagement ring when she was little, it passed out eventually!
It makes me think of those people you see on alternative tv programes munching on glass and swallowing it...why?!!!
Take care

Hazel B
01-03-11, 17:36
I'm sure you would have felt it go down, please try not to worry. :hugs:

phil06
25-06-11, 19:11
I worry when a glass smashes that I drink any spectacles of it.

Tonight I smashed a glass and my toothbrush was in the kitchen so I'm unlikely to use it again.

I'm still worried incase any spectacles landed in dishes as on the work tops will it be ok?

Tyke
25-06-11, 20:52
Hi there

I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Glass is heavy, unlike plastic and would have most likely been at the very bottom of the drinking glass if it was in there. As you didn't drink to the bottom and didn't find anything in there, chances are it disappeared somewhere in the dishwasher. As Carol above says, even if by chance you did drink it the most likely result is that such a small piece will pass through you without you even knowing about it.

Tyke

Tyke
25-06-11, 20:57
I worry when a glass smashes that I drink any spectacles of it.

Tonight I smashed a glass and my toothbrush was in the kitchen so I'm unlikely to use it again.

I'm still worried incase any spectacles landed in dishes as on the work tops will it be ok?

Hi Phil

What I do in these situations is get the vacuum cleaner out and spend a while going over the area thoroughly with the end of it. I think it's safer tha trying to get all the fragments up by hand.

Tyke

phil06
25-06-11, 21:15
Hi Phil

What I do in these situations is get the vacuum cleaner out and spend a while going over the area thoroughly with the end of it. I think it's safer tha trying to get all the fragments up by hand.

Tyke

I'm sure I got most of it up but the work surfaces had lots of little specs I had to clean up.

If you did drink a tiny piece would it matter? I prob wont have but I fear if any fragments sprung into cups near by or anywhere else.

Tyke
25-06-11, 21:49
Most likely aything that small will just pass straight through you. The body is designed to pass stuff like small bones and bone fragments etc through it & out the other end unchanged. Most small foreign objects wouldn't cause a problem, even glass ones.

phil06
25-06-11, 22:21
Most likely aything that small will just pass straight through you. The body is designed to pass stuff like small bones and bone fragments etc through it & out the other end unchanged. Most small foreign objects wouldn't cause a problem, even glass ones.

Is it the same for chemical stuff?

I had some bleach leaking tonight near lots of bath and body lotions in a bag so some went on my arm and I was worried my clothes would contaminate or a bit would reach my mouth.

I think im having a bad day of it with this kind of stuff. :blush:

ElizabethJane
25-06-11, 22:30
You'll be fine it will pass through your poos. I understand how worried you are feeling. Please try not to stress. EJ

Tyke
26-06-11, 01:30
Is it the same for chemical stuff?

I had some bleach leaking tonight near lots of bath and body lotions in a bag so some went on my arm and I was worried my clothes would contaminate or a bit would reach my mouth.

I think im having a bad day of it with this kind of stuff. :blush:
Chemicals are more dangerous, but from what you have said it sounds unlikely you have ingested anything. If you are seriously worried then you can always drink water or milk which would dilute any traces. I would wash any clothes that may have come into contact with concentrated bleach so that you don't irritate your skin.