PDA

View Full Version : 2nd week in feel terrible

lilly123
01-03-11, 12:42
I started on Sertraline 2 weeks ago. First week on 50 the 100 second week. I really feel bad, anxiety is worse than ever and yesterday could not stop crying. Is this normal help?:weep:

Lizzyg
01-03-11, 13:37
I am now on day 17 of Sertraline.

I did feel awful the fist week and only on 25mg. Upped my does gradually to 50mg on day 10.

The side effects are mostly gone although the tiredness is still there.

The first week I spent 3 days in bed just felt really unwell and in the evenings the anxiety/agitation would go through the roof.

Just hang in there it does take time for your body to get used to the drug perhaps you need your dose reducing?? Speak to your doctor.

Good luck, take care and keep us posted :flowers:

lilly123
02-03-11, 16:20
Thanks for your post Lizzy, I will ask the doctor that when I go back next week. I just have to stick it out and hope next week is better for me. One day at a time. Reading other peoples threads has really helped thanks:yesyes:

Dahlia
03-03-11, 10:59
Hi Lily - maybe consider asking your GP for a small script of diazepam to see you through the 'heightened anxiety' stage. They often give them to patients starting up on SSRIs.

Apart from that, keep reminding yourself it is just the meds initial side effects.

hickman
03-03-11, 14:31
Hi Lilly
Just read your thread as I am going to be starting on Setraline as I have been on Citalopram for 5 weeks & they have just increased my anxiety. What side effects are you having with Setraline? Susie

hickman
03-03-11, 14:36
Thanks for your post Lizzy, I will ask the doctor that when I go back next week. I just have to stick it out and hope next week is better for me. One day at a time. Reading other peoples threads has really helped thanks:yesyes:

Hi Lilly
I'm just going to be starting on Setraline as soon as I have weaned off Citalopram as I have been on Citalopram 5 weeks & they have just increased my anxiety, so doc suggested on go on Setraline for anxiety. What are the side effects for you & do you suffer severe anxiety? Susie

lilly123
03-03-11, 16:46
Hi Susie
I suffer with anxiety bad and my mind drives me sooo mad. I also changed from Ciltopram to Sertaline in January . The Ciltopram was making my anxiety a lot worse too.
After a few days of taken Sertraline I started to feel really tired no engery just wanted to sleep all the time. I also felt numb if that makes sense. The anxiety got worse too and my mind seems to be running away with itself. I have to admit I feel okay today and speaking to people on here they have told me it will get better and to stick it out. I am hoping I should feel a little better by next week. Hope I have not scared you too much. It will get better. Let me know how you get on? I will let you know of any improvment?:)

hickman
03-03-11, 22:10
Hi Lilly
Its horrible this anxiety thing isnt it! I'm worried about changing to Setraline as my anxiety has been so bad with Citalopram. How long were you taking Citalopram for & what strength? What strength of Setraline are you on. Let me know how you get on with it. Did you have to wean off Citalopram. Doc says I have to reduce to 20mg for 1 week then 10 mg for 1 week & 10mg for 1 week on alternate days, then nothing for 3 days & then I can start on Setraline. Worried about not taking anything & then having to go on these new ones (Setraline). Hope they will be working for you soon. Susie x

lilly123
04-03-11, 13:19
Hi Lilly
Its horrible this anxiety thing isnt it! I'm worried about changing to Setraline as my anxiety has been so bad with Citalopram. How long were you taking Citalopram for & what strength? What strength of Setraline are you on. Let me know how you get on with it. Did you have to wean off Citalopram. Doc says I have to reduce to 20mg for 1 week then 10 mg for 1 week & 10mg for 1 week on alternate days, then nothing for 3 days & then I can start on Setraline. Worried about not taking anything & then having to go on these new ones (Setraline). Hope they will be working for you soon. Susie x

I know I feel like I have not been me in a long long time. I was on citalopram for 4 months 40mg. It caused me bad anxiety. The doctor told me to take 20g each day for 4 days then start the setraline. I started on 50 for the first week and then 100 on second. I really did feel bad. Today I feel okay bit better so hopefully things are getting better.
Let me know how you are getting on x

hickman
04-03-11, 15:13
Lilly
Glad you are starting to feel bit better. How come you stayed on citalopram for so long? I dont know why my doc is weaning me off Citalopram so slowly, it means I have to wait 3 weeks then 3 days without anything before I start taking the Setralin. Just really anxious about starting on Setraline because I'm worried my anxiety is bad enough now, but its encouraging to here you are starting to feel better.
Do you sleep ok, because I find if I dont sleep my anxiety is worse but doc has given me some sleeping tablets but anxiety still bad at moment. Keep improving everyday, keep me updated x

lilly123
04-03-11, 16:40
Lilly
Glad you are starting to feel bit better. How come you stayed on citalopram for so long? I dont know why my doc is weaning me off Citalopram so slowly, it means I have to wait 3 weeks then 3 days without anything before I start taking the Setralin. Just really anxious about starting on Setraline because I'm worried my anxiety is bad enough now, but its encouraging to here you are starting to feel better.
Do you sleep ok, because I find if I dont sleep my anxiety is worse but doc has given me some sleeping tablets but anxiety still bad at moment. Keep improving everyday, keep me updated x

Stayed on so long because people kept saying give it time, but I knew after 2 months I was not getting any better. It does seem like a long time before you come off them. I think it is the waiting and not knowing what is to come that makes it a lot worse. Just have to keep telling yourself it will all be worth it. I sleep a lot better on these tablets, prob because I am tired all the time, But yes I am a lot worse when I am tired. Also miss a glass of wine or two as well as that was making me ten times worse xx

hickman
05-03-11, 11:50
Did the doc give you some diazepam. Doc eventually agreed to give me some but I take 5mg because 2mg isnt strong enough. I too had a glass of wine last night because anxiety was so bad but sometimes that doesnt even calm me down. Do you get really uptight & feel like you cant breath properly, that is one of my worse symptoms & sometimes I feel like it all day, cant seem to calm myself down. I know doc will only give these tablets short term so that makes me anxious because I have to wean off these tablets for 3 weeks, then start Setraline (& pray it works) but you have given me some hope, thanks for that! I think I might go back to docs to see if I can start on Setraline sooner.:weep:

Lizzyg
05-03-11, 12:40
Hi I take Sertraline to be quite helpful.

I am on day 20, the first 10 days were really tough but now I feel things are really getting better. They did make me tired which was good cause I could sleep and I did rest up alot in the first 2 weeks. I did also take diazepam as well for the first 2 weeks.
On day 14 I just felt so much better and didn't need the diazepam any more and stopped taking it.

Give it a go. Sertraline was the 3rd SSRI I tried and it has been the best yet!

Good luck!! xx

hickman
05-03-11, 16:33
Hi Lizzy
Reading your post has made me feel better about ta?king Setraline. I havent started them yet but still very anxious as I am reducing Citralopam. Sometimes my anxiety so bad I am desperate to take a diazepam but try not to as doc has told me they are very addictive but sometimes it gets so bad I have to. Did you take diazepam as & when you needed them or did you take 3 a day? What other SSRI's did you try? Do you have bad anxiety, what symptoms do you get. Glad to hear tablets are helping you. Susie:)

Lizzyg
06-03-11, 11:38
Hi Susie

I initially took Diazepam 3 2mg a day for two weeks in Jan and then as a when which was most days. I took 3 a day again when I started the Sertraline for 2 weeks but after that so just stopped taking them. I didn't feel addicted to them at all they just helped during a difficult time.
My main problem is hperventilation. That is what can spiral into a panic attack. I feel there is not enough air in the world for me and I am totally convinced of that! The Sertraline has really helped get that under control. I also bought a book by Dinah Bradley on Hyperventilation Syndrom which has really helped.
I also have IBS, get palpitations, hot flushes, muscular pain in fact I have had every symptom going over the years. But this particular episode I have suffered with depression as well following Swine flu, everything I felt got out of control.
I tried Fluoxetine which was a complete nightmare and Anafril which I had quite a severe allergic reaction too. I was very reluctant to try something else after 2 such bad experiences but so glad I did!
Good luck to you Susie and hope it works for you.
Take Care Liz x

hickman
06-03-11, 12:19
Hi Liz
Thanks for replying. You make me feel better as you seem to have similar problems to me, my main anxiety problem is not feeling able to breath & Ive tried breathing into a paper bag but it doesnt seem to help me. I just have the feeling all day sometimes. My anxiety sometimes is so intense I just burst out crying. My old antidepressant (amitriptyline) had a calming effect so I found they helped me but not sure if SSRI's have the same calming effect, but if the Setraline is working for you then maybe they do have a calming effect. I think I might take the diazepam 3 times a day until I feel better. I am also going through menopause at the moment so not sure if that is making things worse, as I too have hot flushes & a lot of the usual menopausal symptoms. Hope everyday is getting better for you. Susie:)

Lizzyg
06-03-11, 15:14
Hi Susie

I'm in my forties and wonder whether hormones are contributing to the anxiety especially the hot flushes which are sometimes overwelming I feel like I'm literally on fire!
The paper bag did not work for me either a waste of time! I found the greatest help to be the book by Dinah Bradley - Hperventialtion Syndrome I got it off ebay for £2! I think it is the pills in combination with the techniques I learnt from the book which has helped. The not feeling able to breathe is awful out of all the symptoms this one is the worst. You feel like your chest isn't big enough and keep sighing, yawning and feeling the need to gulp air. I also find talking very diffucult and sometimes just can't! But the book covers all these areas and teaches you how to overcome this. It takes practice and time but is helpful! Take Care Liz xx

hickman
06-03-11, 21:17
Hi Liz
You've been a great help to me as all what you've said sounds like me. The not being able to gulp enough air etc, I hate the feeling. Sometimes I'm so anxious it just seems to stay with me all throughout the day. I too find it difficult to talk when I have it bad aswell. If someone phones me sometimes I can hardly speak because of it. Sometimes I think, is it my heart, my daughters (I have 3, all grown up & left home) tell me off because I've always been an anxious person & they tell me its just my anxiety as I've always suffered with it from quite a young age. I've been fine for quite a few years now but had quite a stressful year & also changing meds from old antidepressants to new type (which seems to have made me worse at the moment) I will look up the book on ebay & order. Did you have to wean off ad's before you started your new ones. I have to wean off Citalopram by reducing to 20mg for week, then 10 mg for week, then 10 mg for week (alternate days) then nothing for 3 days (which scares me) as I've been on ad's for years, it seems a long time before I can start Setraline, but I'm going to docs Weds so see if I can start them earlier. Thanks again, Susie :)

Lizzyg
07-03-11, 11:20
Hi Susie

I have suffered with anxiety ever since I can remember! My mother used to despair with my 'tummy aches' since I was a small child.

I have never taken any medication up until this year. I found the anxiety would come and then go sometimes for months but this time it was really intense and took over my life.

The prozac I only took for a week and just stopped it was terrible. The Anafril I only took for 2 days cause I had a severe allergic reaction, so have never taken AD's long term.

I really hope the Sertraline works for you it is alot more sedating than the prozac which was highly stimulating.

Good luck and keep me posted :okay:

lilly123
07-03-11, 14:19
Did the doc give you some diazepam. Doc eventually agreed to give me some but I take 5mg because 2mg isnt strong enough. I too had a glass of wine last night because anxiety was so bad but sometimes that doesnt even calm me down. Do you get really uptight & feel like you cant breath properly, that is one of my worse symptoms & sometimes I feel like it all day, cant seem to calm myself down. I know doc will only give these tablets short term so that makes me anxious because I have to wean off these tablets for 3 weeks, then start Setraline (& pray it works) but you have given me some hope, thanks for that! I think I might go back to docs to see if I can start on Setraline sooner.:weep:

Not had any diazepam but I could have done with it over the last two wks. Yes cant breath or think straight. I have had a little anxiety this morning but been okay the rest of the day. So hopefully its kicking in. Let me know what the doctor says. Good luck xx

hickman
09-03-11, 12:16
Hi Lilly & Lizzy
Been back to docs today as I have now cut down from 40mg Citalopram to 20mg(5 days now). Doc has told me I can go straight onto Setraline (50mg) starting tomorrow so fingers crossed! :)

Lizzyg
09-03-11, 15:25
Hi Susie

I really hope it goes well for you keep us posted with how you are getting on.

If you have any questions or just need support we are here for you.

Take Care :)

lilly123
10-03-11, 13:11
Oh good let us know how you are getting on? Just to give you a bit of hope, I am feeling a lot better this week, still a bit of anxiety but a lot better than last week. So dont give us you just have to ride it out and keep thinking it will be worth it in the end.

Keep us posted xxxx:hugs:

hickman
10-03-11, 18:47
Took my first Setraline today (50mg). Felt really anxious this morning after taking the tablet. Took diazepam not long after as felt like i couldn't breathe. Took another diazepam this afternoon. I hope they are going to work for me, but its the not knowing. So glad to hear you're feeling a lot better this week...on the way up now! Well done! I'll keep you updated. susie:)

bajope
12-03-11, 02:17
Hi Hickman ~

I took sertraline for 5 days and then stopped because I didn't like the way it made me feel. I think it was just my anxiety symptoms kicking up and I attributed it to the meds.

Anyway ~ I started taking them again today. Although my dosage is starting and 25mg and gradually going up to 50mg.

If you'd like to have a sertraline buddy that is just a day behind you, let me know. We can support each other.

Also, Liz (Lizzyg) and Patty (Patsta) are the best when it comes to support. <3 those girls!!!

Blessings,
Jackie

hickman
12-03-11, 11:28
Hi Jackie
So grateful for your support. I'm on day 3 today of taking Setraline (50mg), my anxiety has gone through the roof. Took 5mg diazepam but that doesnt seem to have helped, think I'm going mad! I know I have to stick with them but dont know how I get through next couple of weeks. I dont want to do anything which is totally out of character for me. Sometimes Im tempted to have glass of wine but I know that isnt the answer. What part of USA are you from. Mr partner (Pete) was born in Brooklyn, New York he still has lots of relatives there. Keep in touch, thanks again for your support. Let me know how you're doing on your meds. Do you take diazepam? Take care, Susie :)

hickman
13-03-11, 14:08
Hi Hickman ~

I took sertraline for 5 days and then stopped because I didn't like the way it made me feel. I think it was just my anxiety symptoms kicking up and I attributed it to the meds.

Anyway ~ I started taking them again today. Although my dosage is starting and 25mg and gradually going up to 50mg.

If you'd like to have a sertraline buddy that is just a day behind you, let me know. We can support each other.

Also, Liz (Lizzyg) and Patty (Patsta) are the best when it comes to support. <3 those girls!!!

Blessings,
Jackie
How you doing today Jackie. I think you're a day behind me, on my 4th day today (not feeling very good - hyperventilation). Hope you are ok, it seems a long wait doesn't it. Still we've had a lot of encouragement from Patty & Liz. Susie:bighug1: