PDA

View Full Version : Some Encouragement needed folks

Bravedart
01-03-11, 14:44
Hi all

I'm looking for some encouragement today from you all. I've been battling through chronic Depersonalisation over the last couple of weeks and it aint shifting. Everything I do.... Walk, put the washing on, get dressed etc feels as if someone else is doing it I feel totally detached from my body. Also Just constantly staring into space?? :ohmy: I'm also very shaky and unsteady on my feet as well all the time at home and when out. Interestingly I don't feel anxious at the moment about anything other than this horrible feeling. I know this is supposed to be common however looking for some encouragement today from those who have been through this and came out the other side.Thanks in advance.

Abby1
01-03-11, 15:27
Hi,depersonalisation is one of the worse symptoms of anxiety,you cant explain it to others who have never had it,you think you are going mad and totally detached from the sane world.
Sorry i cant give you any coping strategies but you arent on your own,as unfortunatly i know what its like.....

Bravedart
01-03-11, 15:33
Thanks Abby :)

paula lynne
01-03-11, 15:34
Hi, this was the worst sensation for me during the first 2 years or so of anxiety and agoraphobia. Luckily, it will tail off, just keep telling yourself its an unpleasant sensation, not a symptom of something sinister. Let it be what it is, the less you care about it, the less power it has over you. You will get through this. No doubt.

Abby1
01-03-11, 15:36
Just a thought,you arent on Mirazapine by any chance are you? Since starting this AD i have found my anxiety has become worse and the depersonalisation started then.

Vanilla Sky
01-03-11, 16:10
I found listening to music pretty loud and singing along helped me , Makes you feel more " grounded "

daydreamer
01-03-11, 21:03
I started reading a book about it today! Ive been feeling derealization for about 6 weeks now and its been getting worse, today has been particularly bad. I find its worse on a clear sunny day for some reason!

From the very little I have read I've gathered that its just another form of anxiety. It explains that chronic anxiety kinda makes your body go into this state to stop you from being so acutely anxious and suffering its side effects, such as panic attacks.Its just another way of your threat system being active.

That being said, apparently the more you pay it attention the more anxious you become and it just carries on as a vicious cycle like Paula mentioned. I find it very scary and it tends to make me even more anxious and a bit fed up if Im honest! I havent got to the chapter on how to deal with it yet (lol) its based on a CBT approach, when I do I will let you know what it says!

In the meantime I guess the advice would be the general advice for anxiety; relaxation breathing, challening your negative thoughts, keep pushing yourself to do things/keep busy, telling yourself that its just your threat system and it cant harm you.

Its never easy is it! Hope you shake it off soon :)x

jothenurse
02-03-11, 02:49
What book are you reading?

daydreamer
02-03-11, 08:22
I wouldnt worry about it being a 'psychotic' experience as mentioned above!! In the book it says that as long as you realise that these feelings aren't real, and you said the magic words "feeling as if", then your just suffering from DP/DR. If of course you thought that you actually "were" someone else then thats when it becomes a different problem all together!

Theres a few good books on amazon, have a search!