PDA

View Full Version : Why can't i exercise?

screddie
01-03-11, 21:32
Just realised i posted this elsewhere on an old thread!

I have also posted about exercise on here before but for completely the opposite reason. I desparately want to exercise and go to the gym. I have been on sertraline 150mg daily for 2 years and have now put on 2 stone - i am 85kg and 5'10" with a BMI of 26.8. I used to be about 72kg!!!!

I had my most recent health last week and all fine (apart from high colestorol and being over weight!!!) Blood and physical examination were fine - again!

I haven't been on here in months and have no anxiety. I am happy and stressfree. Yet the physical symptoms persist - head/eye pressure, feeling washed out, shaking, muscle aches and fatigue, feeling detached liked i'm not really listening or engaged and brain fog....but the worst is still the exercise!

I have posted before than when i exercise i have no fear of a problem during it and am determined to get fit and healthy again. My problems start the next day and the days after that. All the symptoms come back and are more exagerated; they make me feel really ill and that sets of the HA again? Doctors have said i am going at it too hard too soon, but i don't believe them. My heart is fine, my medical and bloods are fine, i have had this nearly 3.5yrs and its no worse and not that much better - just there, all the time.

Can anyone help or suggest anything??? Has anyone else found exercise makes them feel worse rather than better and more so the next few days after it.....really need some help her guys....please.

Thanks so much....:blush:

Greenman50
01-03-11, 21:54
Hi mate

Its funny you say you feel fine yet the physical syptyms persist , my doc said they take awhile to go , some of my syptyms are still here and i feel ok .

I don,t do gyms , but i feel much better going back to work which is a labouring job anyway . Perhaps you could / should start off really slowly , bike rideing , walking etc...
I can labour all day long , but an hour in the gym would see me off !!

screddie
02-03-11, 09:05
Thanks Mel - i have had this issue for over 3 years. Previously and throughout my past i have been a picture of health and enjoyed exercise as and when i pleased, to whatever extent i pleased.

I am continuing to search for answers. The only substantive possibility i have found is CFS, which is often identified by post-exertional malaise, but after going to the docs/shrink/pyschotherapist/accupuncturist etc probably 15+ times in the last 2 years, at no point haveany of them suggested or even entertained that, including my most recent medical last week......

No one has any answers for me....

Groundhog
02-03-11, 12:28
Doctors have said i am going at it too hard too soon, but i don't believe them.

Seems a reasonable explanation to me:). I have always done sport and exercised, nowadays its gym work because I’m too old for sport. There is a misconception that when one goes to a gym you have to go flat out on every piece of kit and leave yourself doubled over trying to catch breath after five minutes on a given piece of kit, this tends to be the reserve for those trying to impress the young ladies. You will find there is little difference in gain if you run on a treadmill or walk briskly – in fact walking fast is probably better because there is less impact on the leg joints – particularly the knees.

I do a forty-five minute cardio workout and at the end I feel ‘warm’, slightly breathless but not panting and this is what you should aim for, there is no extra benefit from ending up in a situation where you have to crawl out the gym soaking wet with sweat, heart pumping and feeling dizzy. It is also imperative to drink loads of water especially if the gym is air-conditioned.